UKBouldering.com

Routes cleaned or re-equipped (Read 272790 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#225 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
June 22, 2010, 03:19:15 pm
I've passed the message on to relevant bods.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#226 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
June 22, 2010, 10:30:21 pm
Apparently reports have been made to various bodies about the recent bolting in Cheedale. This is potentially a very sensitive issue so it would be good if we could get the various peeps who have been/ are intending to do any bolting together to discuss things (over a pint ideally) ASAP. This has nothing to do with humming and hawing over climbing ethics, purely an access issue.

Another thing parking is getting a bit crowded even on Monday evenings when I noticed that one of the cars was partially blocking the exit from the track. They would have got used to not having so many cars in recent summers at the little house off the path. If in doubt is only an extra 100 or so yards up the road to find space.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#227 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
June 22, 2010, 10:43:41 pm
I think in previous years the shorter fork of their lane was the one more commonly used. A couple of potholes in that seems to have put them back on the longer one.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#228 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 05, 2010, 11:05:04 pm
Kilnsey.

Central Wall, and surrounding E5's and 6's on that wall are pretty clean and chalked as off today. Thanks to Steve Crowe.

RichK

• menacing presence
#229 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 06, 2010, 11:36:16 am
Kilnsey.

Central Wall, and surrounding E5's and 6's on that wall are pretty clean and chalked as off today. Thanks to Steve Crowe.

Worth a mention that The Overlap has had 6+ attempts this year of which only 2 were clean, RP styli. One of the pegs was replaced and it has seen plenty of airtime.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#230 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 06, 2010, 03:21:44 pm
Kilnsey.

Worth a mention that The Overlap has had 6+ attempts this year of which only 2 were clean, RP styli. One of the pegs was replaced and it has seen plenty of airtime.

Steve was egging me to get on it. It looks harder than the thumb!

RichK

• menacing presence

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#232 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 06, 2010, 06:34:19 pm
The Lockless Monster at The Nook in Chee Dale now re-bolted and cleaned up

nik at work

• forum hero
#233 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 06, 2010, 09:07:15 pm
The Lockless Monster at The Nook in Chee Dale now re-bolted and cleaned up
Which hero has undertaken this mission? I have a wad ready and waiting...

RichK

• menacing presence
#234 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 09, 2010, 11:10:04 am
 :bounce:  :bounce: For those of an esoteric slant we did the Pit & Pendulum at Nesscliffe yesterday. Absolutely amazing line, 47m, bone dry, fully chalked and cleansed of all the old nests! Probably more E6 for effort :-\ but v. safe bar a slightly sketchy start. 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#235 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 09, 2010, 11:10:50 am
Effort, I'm well jealous!

grimer

• forum hero
#236 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 09, 2010, 11:24:15 am
:bounce:  :bounce: For those of an esoteric slant we did the Pit & Pendulum at Nesscliffe yesterday. Absolutely amazing line, 47m, bone dry, fully chalked and cleansed of all the old nests! Probably more E6 for effort :-\ but v. safe bar a slightly sketchy start.

Nice one. I did that a couple of years ago. It took me TWO showers to become clean after it.

Amazing route, and there's always that in-situ black ab rope just to the left you can jump for if it all becomes too much  ;)

RichK

• menacing presence
#237 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 09, 2010, 11:46:14 am

Nice one. I did that a couple of years ago. It took me TWO showers to become clean after it.

Flip yeh, my shower tray has half of Nessa in it......

Amazing route, and there's always that in-situ black ab rope just to the left you can jump for if it all becomes too much  ;)
[/quote]

I know....nice bit of dulux classic black although the Pearl effect is gorge ;)

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#238 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 09, 2010, 12:17:48 pm
Nice one, Rich - with that news, I'm definitely headed Nesscliffe-ward.

Shame it won't be this weekend, as I'm committed to climbing in the Lakes (in the rain  :()

Neil

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#239 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 10, 2010, 11:39:35 am
Feel a bit  :-[ posting this. For those of you after something different at Kilnsey, Detox is now clean and chalked. Worthwhile, and stiff for the grade of 7b+. Hard start leads to steady jug hauling above.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:53:16 am by Adam Lincoln »

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#240 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 10, 2010, 01:57:36 pm
Why the red face? Cos of your illiteracy?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#241 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 10, 2010, 02:04:55 pm
Why the red face? Cos of your illiteracy?

I posted this on my pc, so should be ok. As opposed to the tiny keys on my Blackberry. I assume all is as it should be?

The face was because i don't think anyone will bother getting on it.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#242 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 11, 2010, 04:15:45 pm
Good effort on rebolting Lockless Ethan. A great little route that's more Font 7b than French 7c+. Really quite hard moves that would probably be a crux section of an 8b but without the annoying bit at the beginning that tires you out.

Tommy

• junky
#243 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 13, 2010, 10:51:35 pm

What you meant to say was absolutely amazing line, but terrible climbing??! I thought I'd do this as you'd said it was fully chalked and dry. Well, I think the chalk may have all fallen off with the first 5mm of sand on every hold!  ;D

Good effort for doing some cleaning though. I pulled a big block off the final crack as well, so it's a bit safer for belayers now.

Anyone want to clean up The Monster? Please.....  :)

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
#244 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 01:04:17 pm
Ah, so I wasn't the only one who fell for that "bone dry, chalked and clean" rumour Tom.  I've already informed the Trades Descriptions people - they are en route to deepest Altringham as we speak...

Actually, I thought of you as I thrutched up that slot at the start.  I bet you relied on technique to overcome that obstacle, whereas I even forgot to deploy the clipstick I'd taken for the first bolt!

Did you have a view on the grade?  Rich and Nick thought E6 for effort, but as the gear couldn't be much better, I declared it "ungradeable" (though I did have to try hard).

Think I know the block in question, as I put a big friend next to a block near the top and the block flexed noticably.  I made sure I didn't fall off that move...

Which one is The Monster?

Neil

ps. 2 quotes from Sunday:-

NF - "This is probably the best quarry in Britain"

CR - "I don't think I'll be coming here again..."

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#245 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 01:19:22 pm
This is probably the best quarry in Britain

No probably about it!

Tommy

• junky
#246 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 01:51:33 pm
Ah, you did it as well! Good effort for sticking with it. I actually used the worst technique known the seasoned crack climber..... "A layback" I felt so dirty using it. I think I might have even started speaking in French for the rest of the route.

As for grade - well everything is soft (including many of the holds!) at Nesscliffe, so in my estimation it felt about as much effort as other Nesscliffe E6s, but in the rest of the world like a very sandy Gogarth E5 or an E4 elsewhere. Still, you've got to have some soft destinations to have your good days at eh?!

Grades eh.  :shrug:

Thai Boxing next week, so then I'll know what real E6 is!

Tommy

• junky
#247 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 01:53:44 pm
Oh - and The Monster is that incredible corner right of Yukan II, which makes you cross your legs just looking at it. Be nice if it got cleaned up.

T_B

• forum hero
#248 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 01:58:30 pm

Grades eh.  :shrug:

The Nuance. Suprised that you found that one easy for the grade?

Tommy

• junky
#249 Re: Routes cleaned or re-equipped
July 14, 2010, 02:20:27 pm
Definitely harder that Trouble in Toytown, but fairly ok though. I might be totally wrong about the grades at Nesscliffe - maybe it just suits me? I tend to go with the general line of thinking that I'm not that good at climbing, especially onsighting, so if I'm doing well, it's got to be for reasons other than I'm any good!!  ;D

I always tend to look at the monumental list of climbs that you've done Tom, in good style and think fucking hell, when am I going to do that?? So therefore my default position is one of crapness.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal