UKBouldering.com

Some like it hot (Read 108844 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#125 Re: Some like it hot
April 01, 2010, 11:11:17 am
I read there's no such thing as the Naga Morlich  ;) :-*

But anyway, I'm not arsed about splitting scovile ratings, there are so many different variables in the cultivation, and harvesting that can affect capscin content and the strength when you actually taste them (e.g. water content), I'd just like to grow my own.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#126 Re: Some like it hot
April 01, 2010, 11:49:59 am
Yeah OK, I can't spell- I blame the gayPhone.

I'd love to grow some, but I haven't got the space permission.  Thus I like to try as many fresh chillies as I can.  The heat comment was purely out of intetest, all I'll say is they are by far the hottest chillies I've ever tasted.  I shall get hold of some jolokia at some point, I will look forward to it.  World of chilled will no doubt come up trumps.

If you hadn't been mean I'd have eaten a whole one and posted the video  :P 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#127 Re: Some like it hot
April 01, 2010, 12:10:40 pm
Yeah OK, I can't spell- I blame the gayPhone.

Good plan, my tweets are perpetually mis-spelt thanks to predictive text.

I'd love to grow some, but I haven't got the space permission.  Thus I like to try as many fresh chillies as I can.  The heat comment was purely out of intetest, all I'll say is they are by far the hottest chillies I've ever tasted.  I shall get hold of some jolokia at some point, I will look forward to it.  World of chilled will no doubt come up trumps.

Chilli's are piss easy to grow, all you need is a pot, some soil and a window sill (bit of fertilizer helps too).

If you hadn't been mean I'd have eaten a whole one and posted the video  :P

Damn, would have been interesting to see that, I'll keep my trap shut next time.

Paul B

• forum hero
#128 Re: Some like it hot
April 01, 2010, 04:45:37 pm
Chilli's are piss easy to grow, all you need is a pot, some soil and a window sill (bit of fertilizer helps too).

Any more tips, the office is having a chilli growing contest  8), we work that hard.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#129 Re: Some like it hot
April 01, 2010, 05:17:51 pm
Windowsill in full light is good (bag the seat next to the south facing window if possible then), last year I kept my curtains closed as they've got white liners so reflected sunlight back in and it kept it very warm in there.

I also used a fair bit of Chilli Focus and was impressed with the results, but have no controls to compare against so can't say if its any better than Baby-Bio (or indeed water for that fact!).  I'd also blow smoke on them occasionally, but I'm pretty sure you a) don't smoke; b) would get kicked our for breaking the law.

As with most plants plotting up gradually is a good idea too, move to larger pots when you start to see roots poking out the bottom.  Good drainage in the pots helps, and if you know you're going to be away for a few days (e.g. if you're growing them in the office and know its going to be hot over the weekend) using some water gel crystals in the soil is handy so you don't have to head in and water them.

Avoiding pests is important for good results too, I used a soap solution to spray on, but ended up being rather heavy handed and noticed leaves ended up coated in residue (washed the chilli's well before eating though).  If soap solution isn't working then some pyrethrin (?sp) should do the trick.

Davey_C

• regular
#130 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 08:29:26 pm
Actually regular tomato plant food is fine for chilli plants. I've also heard that a hydroponic set-up (used for growing other sorts of plants  :shrug:) is great for growing chilli's and tomatoes - but that might be a bit overkill.  :whistle:

I've left mine a bit late this year, I only planted them about a month ago - they are about 2" tall at the moment!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#131 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 08:48:07 pm
Almost forgot, I bought some Mr Naga pickle.

Very nice, but not too hot.  Apparently the recipe has changed and it's cooled down a bit compared to before.  I like it a lot though.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#132 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 08:55:12 pm
I've also heard that a hydroponic set-up (used for growing other sorts of plants  :shrug:) is great for growing chilli's and tomatoes - but that might be a bit overkill.  :whistle:
I would say it's overkill for the home-grower unless you want to grow a shit-load of chillis quickly and/or have limited space.

Paul B

• forum hero
#133 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 09:52:49 pm
if anyone goes down that route the shop on the Wicker is very freindly. He didn't seem to believe that I wanted to grow chilli's and not 'chilli's'.

Davey_C

• regular
#134 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 09:57:13 pm
I've also heard that a hydroponic set-up (used for growing other sorts of plants  :shrug:) is great for growing chilli's and tomatoes - but that might be a bit overkill.  :whistle:
I would say it's overkill for the home-grower unless you want to grow a shit-load of chillis quickly and/or have limited space.

I was suggesting it tongue in cheek - I'm sure anyone with such a set-up would have better things to grow!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#135 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 10:01:16 pm
if anyone goes down that route the shop on the Wicker is very freindly. He didn't seem to believe that I wanted to grow chilli's and not 'chilli's'.
I was suggesting it tongue in cheek - I'm sure anyone with such a set-up would have better things to grow!
If anyone wants to do some hydro, then I have a friend in prison who's given it up but has the kit for sale.

I rather admire a Wicker grow shop for having the balls to exist so close to the police and courts  :whistle:

Davey_C

• regular
#136 Re: Some like it hot
April 16, 2010, 10:16:05 pm
If anyone wants to do some hydro, then I have a friend in prison who's given it up but has the kit for sale.

He's given up growing chilli's? That's a shame!

I rather admire a Wicker grow shop for having the balls to exist so close to the police and courts  :whistle:

Hydroponic's are a perfectly legitimate way of growing plants, what you use them for is a different matter.....
I find it more amusing that shops can sell seeds legally on the basis that the customer won't plant them!

Anyway getting off topic a bit sorry.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#137 Re: Some like it hot
April 18, 2010, 04:25:49 pm
Got some smoked chipotle chillies from lupos pintos the other day. Need to think of a good recipe that'll make the most of them :-)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#138 Re: Some like it hot
April 18, 2010, 10:44:10 pm
Add them to chilli con carne - they really give a big meaty flavour so don't try and do anything subtle with them because you will just lose everything.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#139 Re: Some like it hot
April 19, 2010, 09:51:15 am
Planted out 44 seeds the other week and they've started germinating  :thumbsup:

Got 5 Naga Morich, six black pearl, a few tabasco, some Thai bird-eye and some habanerros from last years crop.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#140 Re: Some like it hot
April 22, 2010, 09:06:59 am
Made chilli con carne with 2 habaneros and 4 chipotle chilies, Jesus it gave me a good reminder this morning! :o

Damn it tasted good, washed down with some punk ipa.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#141 Re: Some like it hot
April 22, 2010, 11:45:42 am
Punk IPA is IMO by far the best drink to accompany ridiculously spicy food.

In related news, I finished off my Pain Is Good Jamaican sauce last night *sob*

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#142 Re: Some like it hot
April 26, 2010, 11:08:31 am
Has anyone got a spare colon?  :please:

Holy Jezus fecking hell I think I may have done myself some serious internal damage on Friday.   :o

I was planning on making some steamed clams with nam prik pao. Now, the recipe for nam prik pao had 100g of dried chillies and similar quantities of shallot, with some palm sugar, lemograss, garlic and galangal. This makes about 10-15 tbsp of the sauce and I was meant to use 4 tbsp for 4 people. Since was cooking for 1, I cut this down, but only by half…

I also threw in a whole habanero chilli.

Fuck me this thing was basically radioactive. I was starting to hallucinate and couldn’t quite breathe properly.

Amazingly enough, you could actually still taste the sweetness of the clams, and some of the subtle flavours of lemongrass and lime juice.

Quite keen on making it again with a lot less heat.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#143 Re: Some like it hot
May 28, 2010, 04:20:59 pm
Friend had some Yabba Jerk seasoned chicken for the bar-b-q the other day, it wasn't hot enough for me so I added some "Blair's Sudden Death Sauce w/Ginseng" to spice it up, and found it to be very tasty (had some  liquid refreshment to hand just in case)...

On the homegrown front, I've three habanerro seedlings, plenty of Tabasco and Thai bird-eye seedlings, and six black pearl, but only one of the five Naga seeds I planted has germinated (fingers crossed for fruit on it this year).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#144 Re: Some like it hot
June 28, 2010, 09:11:18 am
New chilli sauce tried this weekend, courtesy of the wife who picked it up at the Good Food Show a week or so ago (after having tried it too, which is impressive given how hot it is).

Nirto Sauce...

Quite a sweet flavour to this one, but the heat builds and lasts quite a long time.  Its ultimate test will come later at lunch time as I've mixed some in with my egg & marmite sandwiches.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#145 Re: Some like it hot
June 28, 2010, 09:14:50 am
as I've mixed some in with my egg & marmite sandwiches.
Glad I'm not sitting anywhere near your desk after lunch.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#146 Re: Some like it hot
June 28, 2010, 09:19:58 am
 ;D Its my staple sandwich filling that.  I am polite enough to not expel gas in the office though.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#147 Re: Some like it hot
June 30, 2010, 08:01:37 pm
Made some Nam Prik Pao (Roasted chilli paste) a while back. The recipe called for 100g of dried kashmiri chillies to make a small tub's worth of sauce, of which, you'd use about 1-3 tsp for a recipe.

Everything I've made has been brutal. I mean, burn yourself an enema, sear your sphincter, hallucinatory mentally hot.  :o

Apparently you can't substitute tiny, feiry bridseye chillies for kashmiri chillies.  ::)

The latest abomination was Tom Yung Goong. Can't wait to try without caughing, crying and generally being floored by the raw heat of it all.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#148 Re: Some like it hot
June 30, 2010, 08:26:32 pm
I tend to do that.  Recipe says 4 green finger chillies, I bung in 2 nagas.  You'd think I'd learn, the wife won't eat half of it :lol:

Nirto Sauce...

This coming from the man that took the piss out of the morlich posts.   ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#149 Re: Some like it hot
August 04, 2010, 10:34:16 am
Some pretty flowers on one of my Black Pearl chilli plants.  These are promising to be quite productive if all the flowers pollinate  :shag:

Tabasco plants seem slow to flower, but Habanero's and Thai Bird Eye's are coming along strong.  The one Naga chilli seed that germinated is looking strong, but flowers are very slow to develop.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal