UKBouldering.com

Need; Sources on how to learn about SLR/DSLR use (Read 8543 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I've just bought a camera for my girlfriend, Sara, but she knows nothing about SLR use. On a technical level, I would say she couldn't explain to you the concept of an SLR or how it works. Basically, she's starting from the lowest level, but wants to learn. I don't know what books/websites/ebooks/tutorials to suggest to her, but figured the gents on here would be able to offer some advice.

Ideally, some book that started at the very beginning, explained SLR cameras, then their functionality, and then moved into the world of DSLR's. As I say, that would be ideal. If it takes a couple of books then that will suffice. After all that, a book about the basics of good composition etc would be useful too. So, I leave it in your capable hands...

Thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
its a bit out of date, but i have the old "Kodak Book of colour photography" gathering dust on a shelf. It predates digi, but takes you right through understanding SLR use etc. Can loan it to you if you want, but most municipal libraries have a copy.

Hedgecoe's book are a good starting point too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
After all that, a book about the basics of good composition etc would be useful too.

A good recommendation for this category would be Understanding Exposure (marginally cheaper at Play.com).

dave smith

• regular
When/If she really gets into it, then Ansel Adams's books explain EVERYTHING about black and white film photography (which sounds irrelevant, but isn't) in great depth. There are three, 'The Camera', 'The Negative' and 'The Print'. The final book (The Print) wouldn't be so useful for digital, since it's about darkroom use, but some of the second and definitely the first are veritable bibles of photographic knowledge. However, not for now - they're a bit confusing to start with, more like text books!

My vote is for the hedgecoe books too - particularly the New Manual of Photography, which has all the theory along with simple advice. He has another book called 'How to Take Great Photographs' that's more practical, suggesting exercises to do etc, just depends on how you learn.

dave

I can't recommend any book specifically but try to aim for the ones that deal with photography generally rather than ones billed as "digital camera" stuff that mainly deal with putting a dog's head on a duck's body in photoshop, faking dramatic skies, making the climber colour on a B&W background etc.

SA Chris

• forum hero
suggesting exercises to do

Lift the camera, hold the camera, press the shutter, lower the camera. Repeat. :)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I've always found basic books pretty uninspiring. Buy a few magazines instead. Photography Monthly is a good place to start.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
SO photography magazines explain how aperture changed depth of field, and why you would want to do something like that? Sara knows nothing about taking pictures, which is why I think something from the ground up would be good. I'll try to get some photo mags too, but I think they're going to assume a level of knowledge a bit above what she has! I could be wrong, but I think technical knowledge of how it all works is paramount to building a good foundation for taking good pics.

I can't believe their isn't a SLR for Dummies type book, with a sequel DSLR for dummies.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Most of them cover the basics in every issue. it might not be in a logical order but that may be easier to digest than some tedious structured book. You only learn by taking pics in the end anyway.

dave

for real basics like apertures etc you're just as well reading a few websites. once you know it its second nature so not much point investing in a book to tell you this that you'll read once then never touch again. bit like riding a bike, you wouldn't buy a book to tell you which gears to use and when.

if you want it in writing, like JB says a mag will be fine, and cheaper. Often modern DSLR instuctions manuals do a reasonable job of explaining DOF, apertures and shutter speeds anyway. I assume you've got one with the camera.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
The last word on the subject is Langford

'Basic Photography' is what it says and updated regularly, recent versions include digital stuff.

'Advanced photography' is the next step. Both these were and still are the college course bibles, but still very readable and well written.

Haven't used his 'starting photography' but likely to be as good.

bobkatebob

• menacing presence

I can't believe their isn't a SLR for Dummies type book, with a sequel DSLR for dummies.

What's this then?

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470149272.html

:jaw:

Look on the left hand side for other books in a similar vein that they publish as well

SA Chris

• forum hero
I've just bought a camera for my girlfriend, Sara, but she knows nothing about SLR use.

I'm assuming this was an entirely unselfish gesture? Not that you want good pics of yourself or anything.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
Aha! Thanks bobkatebob!

Clearly I wouldn't use such an underhand tactic to train up my girlfriend to become a great photographer so I can then have high quality images of myself plastered everywhere...

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Aha! Thanks bobkatebob!

Clearly I wouldn't use such an underhand tactic to train up my girlfriend to become a great photographer so I can then have high quality images of myself plastered everywhere...

No because you have me for that ;)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
are you uncle's girlfriend then?

account_inactive

• forum hero
Try this maybe?

Digital Photography Just The Steps For Dummies

http://www.mininova.org/get/1333050

SA Chris

• forum hero
Starting this month, Practical Photography are doing a 6 booklet course on DSLRs, with the mag each month. I have the first part if you want me to post it to you? I am unlikely to buy the rest though.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Try this maybe?

Digital Photography Just The Steps For Dummies

http://www.mininova.org/get/1333050

i downloaded this about a month ago, its actually pretty good, considering I know nothing about slr I just use auto on mine and play about with settings

I know its a geek thing but take a pad and pen and write down what seting you use. take the same picture with loads of different settings and thats about it

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I know its a geek thing but take a pad and pen and write down what seting you use. take the same picture with loads of different settings and thats about it

With digital this is virtually redundant since all the information about the camera settings when a given picture was taken is stored in the Exif data of the image.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
Starting this month, Practical Photography are doing a 6 booklet course on DSLRs, with the mag each month. I have the first part if you want me to post it to you? I am unlikely to buy the rest though.

That would be good, but I could always go and buy the mag. Is it the current edition? Thanks.

ps. I ended up downloaded many ebooks after researching which were the best via amazon. Then I got them printed A5/double sided and sara is pretty pleased with this...

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yup current edition. In the sharing spirit of this site, can happily post it if you don't want to buy mag. Let me know, still have address for you?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
You might already have downloaded Mastering Digital SLR Photography, but heres the link anyway (I know nothing of the subject, just came across it and thought it might be useful)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal