UKBouldering.com

New Guisecliff bouldering guide (Read 4352 times)

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com
New Guisecliff bouldering guide
April 24, 2008, 09:41:21 pm

This will be the preliminary guide for the new Wild Bouldering Guide in Yorkshire.

It is being written by Tony Barley who has been climbing at Guiescliff since 1966, few of his problems have been documented. Presently he is on the waiting list for a heart transplant and wants to get these guides published prior to his operation. I have seen the draft copy and it looks good, it will use both British and Font grades ( though Tony struggles with Font grades & refers to them as "Fuck Off" grades).

The WB guide will include some new areas, areas that so far have not been documented but the likes of Andy Swan, Chris Sowden, Jon Pearson and my self have been climbing at, plus I am sure a host of others. But you will just have to wait until Tony publishes his guide. It will be interesting to see what he climbed way back in the 60's.

Anyway apart from that I am sure you all wish Tony well for the future given that he was hacking about at Guisecliff today mapping out the area, he felt so weak after that he couldn't make it into the shop from the car park. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: New Guisecliff bouldering guide
April 25, 2008, 09:22:06 am
Hope it goes well for him. Yorkshire (and South African) legend.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: New Guisecliff bouldering guide
April 25, 2008, 05:00:16 pm
Sounds good - presumably none of the areas will be in the iminent Vol.2 of the new Yorkshire Grit Guide?  Makes you wonder how much more rock is out there?   I really enjoyed myself at Snowden and Hunter's Stones and the thought of more to come gladdens the heart.

Also reminds me that I should visit Guisecliff again before the ferns grow too tall (memories of dropping into pits obscured by neck-height vegetation... happy days!).  Eventually getting onto Suckerpunch was a personal highlights of recent years bouldering and I've heard good things about Jesus Jelly Mould.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: New Guisecliff bouldering guide
April 28, 2008, 08:02:27 am

It is being written by Tony Barley who has been climbing at Guiescliff since 1966, few of his problems have been documented.  It will be interesting to see what he climbed way back in the 60's.
will it be the usual mix of highball 7a/v6s,slings for aid on 5c moves and chipped holds on 5b moves. ;)

Sypeland

• stalker
    • http://www.climbersbalm.com

uptown

• junky
#5 Re: New Guisecliff bouldering guide
June 01, 2008, 03:42:26 pm
All the best to Tony. I hope his wait isn't for too long.
I wonder how definitive the G's section can be though (I wondered this when I heard about total-climbing publishing a guide to the G too) - I've climbed many undocumented things there, as have others: Do we need three books with the different authors problems in or would we be better consulting?
Answers on a 'Yorkshire postcard' please...

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: New Guisecliff bouldering guide
June 01, 2008, 04:19:37 pm
Guisecliff has some amazing hidden bouldering, Tom did a couple of new problems last weekend, and we did some half-arsed exploring before sacking it off to skim stones in the sludgy lake thing. But I'm definitely psyched to go back, it's an amazing place, the problems on the Two Stoops are amazing!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal