UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 109359 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#50 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 02:25:17 pm
yeah, as long as it's not too shagged should be fine

i'll help out if you get stuck

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#51 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 05:43:08 pm
Just done the derwent classic for the first time, how good? Going out to do it again real soon.
Oh and fatdoc can I get a hand with sorting my new front changers out when you have the time (I realize that it is limited, what with your heavy gassing people and producing offspring named after computer game heroines schedule), I would v much appreciate it.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#52 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 06:24:13 pm
my workstand is yours.. the dark art of indexing is one am very comfortable with..

by derwent classic do you mean the *cough* path up to the trig point??

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 08:54:53 pm
my workstand is yours.. the dark art of indexing is one am very comfortable with..

by derwent classic do you mean the *cough* path up to the trig point??
By derwent classic I mean the Circuit from the dark peak mtb book by John Barton- up the bridleway next to the Ladybower Inn, long lovely descent to Fairholm bugger  :wall: of an ascent near the dam bringing you down to the A57, over this to path by ladybower res. and back to car.
Thanks for the offer of your stand I pm you to sort a time.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#54 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 22, 2008, 12:36:12 pm
the dark art of indexing is one am very comfortable with..

... except perhaps in morzine a few years ago ....

When you can't fix it Jon, my rates are very cheap  8)  :beer1:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#55 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 22, 2008, 12:46:45 pm
cheeky sod...

i was doing fine... you just wanted to show off your cham guide credetentials  ;)

You missed a good ride last night mate, for the first time in my MTB life i was only member of the team not bleeding  :o

fatkid2000

• junky
#56 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 22, 2008, 01:05:01 pm
Fatdoc I've finally found a more accident prone cycling / MTBing medic than you. He's had at least 5 operations due to bike related injuries!!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#57 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 22, 2008, 01:14:20 pm
TOP LAD  ;D

last night saw me sheparding one poor post face plant / nose laceration / mild concussion (with 2 pints inside him of course) lad with scuffed knees back home... 5 falls... nasty!! :o

The other member of team displayed the reason why when using huge sharp big flat pedals one should consider full leg armour  :o

can be a bit dangerous this XC stuff...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#58 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 22, 2008, 06:36:34 pm
I assume Jerry came out unscathed though ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#59 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 23, 2008, 11:04:30 am
I assume Jerry came out unscathed though ?

nope,

he owns the face in question!

:o

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#60 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 23, 2008, 11:28:59 am
Where were you riding?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#61 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 23, 2008, 11:35:36 am
Blakka!

on a *cough* nice quiet bit....

on the way to the Crown pub in Totley, for the best (and most expensive) pint of lanlord there is in the world. anywhere. definately. for sure. completely. utterly. totally.

squeek

• junky
#62 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 11:00:28 am
I'm thinking of getting some new pedals for my MTB as using flat ones instead of clipped ones is annoying me.  I've got SPDs on my road bike, but I'm thinking of getting some Crank Bros Egg beaters for my MTB as they're supposed to be easier to clip in, lighter, and dont get clogged up as much.  Was thinking of getting the stainless steel SLs.

I could get SPDs so that I have the same on both bikes, then I could interchange shoes/pedals if I needed to, but I'm not too bothered about that.

Does anyone have any experience on SPDs versus Egg beaters?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#63 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:03:37 pm
SPD's = very cheap (M520's), work, very cheap, maintenance free (at £20 just throw them away and start again), but do clog up with mud more than egg beaters.

Crank Bros. = not cheap, work (except for Fatdoc), are much better in mud, require maintenance.

Last year, having bust my spd's, I had a moment of madness and bought some Candy Ti's.  The madness wasn't that I bought them but that I bought them from JEJ because they were the only pedals they had in stock.  And whilst I am about to buy Fatdoc's old Candy's off him I would recommend sticking to Shimano M520's, for £20 they are the best value pedals on the planet. 

cofe

• forum hero
#64 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:06:24 pm
i'll second the 520s. they work and they cost nothing (i'm sure i've seen them for £17.50 but can't remember where).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#65 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:09:06 pm
I've often heard stories of clogging, but I have used mine in Cotwold mud (grease) and coarse Cairngorm granite mud (grinding paste) and anything inbetween and never had a problem.

JR

• forum abuser
#66 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:34:35 pm
ok then, here's one for you lot.

I used to race xc when i was a youth and had an orange 02 with pace rc36 pro's, XT group, race face stuff etc. then got into climbing and sold it to pay for an exped then got into triathlon and have road bikes instead.

Anyway, I've branched into off road triathlon partly by accident (i signed up for a race and then realised it was a mountain bike stage) but like the idea of a new bike anyway and so need a new XC bike which will do me for off road races and long days out in the mountains.  I'm pretty much out of touch with the off road world at the moment.  I'd like to get a custom build and spend ideally less than £2.5k.

Are pace still the daddy for XC forks?  What about their hardtail frame or even their full sus frame?

Would you go full sus (is the power transfer goo enough these days) or am i better sticking to a hardtail?

Any other words of wisdom? Things to avoid?

Cheers

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#67 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:47:41 pm
Imho, and awaiting fatdoc's return from work when undoubtedly he will add his knowledge ....

Off road racing + custom build + <£2.5k = custom hardtail, at which point you have lost my interest

Pace are the lightest xc forks around and seem to be reliable these days so ideal for racing.

Try On One website.  A mate has just got a custom build that he thinks is ok, but I suspect he prefered his old full suss for ragging it round the Peak.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#68 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 12:56:31 pm
*jumps up and down repeatedly with feverish excitement*

£2.5k for xc races and big days out?

forget the hardtail.

really

times have changed

get an S works Epic from specialized. been used to win various XC world champs, light as, but with benefits of better traction due to full suss...

I think there's one in carbon at just a little over your budget  ;)

i suppose if that's not too bling for you and you simply muussst have a bespoke build then a santa cruz superlight built way light by 18bikes in Hope would empty your wallet in the desired manner. I'm no fan of the handmade frame though it has to be said.... waste of cash. I prefer more bikes, Taiwan frames!!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#69 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 01:32:24 pm
Fatdoc come now.  Obviously he needs a full suss but let him come round to that decision slowly, we could have days of fun here.

And shame on you for advising an Epic, they're crap.  Neither here nor there.

So back to basics.  The man, a self confessed road rider, a triathlete no less, wants an "off road race bike", "custom build" and wants to ride all day in the mountains.  Clearly his best choice would be to move over to the Leg Shavers... thread with all you other gay  :spank: less adventurous types. 

However the man wants sensible advise, not to buy a bloody Epic.

Back to you mate ...

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#70 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 05:59:46 pm
If you decide that you do want an Epic then this sounds pretty sweet and only a bit over budget....

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/mem/classified_ads/classified_ads.asp

6th ad down. But for what its worth I'd buy a bouncier bike, Epics can be a bit harsh.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#71 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 28, 2008, 06:24:12 pm
look, it's a the 1st full suss to win the XC world champs.....

som it's got piss all travel, flat bars etc...

but that's what the lad wants...

I stand by my thoughts,

an Epic, in carbon... full XTR etc... will see him right.

and bankrupt.

fatkid2000

• junky
#72 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 31, 2008, 09:36:06 pm
Fatdoc I'm about to pay for the honeymoon then its back to bike spending. Mate of mine from school was talking to me about his new Santa Cruz Blur LT. Its got 140mm Travel, obviously it will cost more than the Marin, but it looks good. What do you reckon? Get the Marin still?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#73 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
June 01, 2008, 08:48:06 am
Fatdoc I'm about to pay for the honeymoon then its back to bike spending. Mate of mine from school was talking to me about his new Santa Cruz Blur LT. Its got 140mm Travel, obviously it will cost more than the Marin, but it looks good. What do you reckon? Get the Marin still?

single pivot, over priced *hand made frame*, that lasts no longer than any other. about the same weight (that SC frame is heavy for what it is, though it's not  prone to cracking)

this leaves you a very very useful position I'd say, coz it doesnt matter too much what i reckon....

get hold of his bike!!!

proper thrash / test it out... see which you prefer mate!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#74 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
June 01, 2008, 11:58:15 am

Blur is meant to be very good, despite the single pivot.

Which Marin are you considering?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal