UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 109355 times)

bigphil

• menacing presence
#25 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 12:52:32 pm
My two-penneth on the Q's and comments above.  

I have a Marin and its nice to see someone else has one too, Fatdoc.

I have just upgraded my Avid Juicy 5's to take a 203mm rotor and upgraded the brake hoses to Goodridge braided hoses (look well nice).  So far I've nearly gone over the handlebars just the once but they will be just fine for my involvement in the Passportes du Soleil this year (startinbg in Les Gets) and for riding the Megavalanche (not the race, I'm riding it a few weeks before).  I prefer Avids to the all or nothing feel of the Hayes but then some people describe the Avids as spongey.

I 2nd what Fatdoc says.  A mate has an Orange P7 and its a great bike.  Definately worth a look 2nd hand.

Crikey Fatboyslimfast, thats a hell of a DH bike.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 01:02:07 pm

I'll put a vote in for Shimano Saint disc brakes.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#27 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 01:37:44 pm
I swapped from old M4s to Hayes HFX 9 on my Alps bike - there's no comparison, the Hayes are better in every way than the M4s, and they are pretty cheap as well. My wife has the XC versions on her bike, and when I get round to it I'll swap the old Minis on my XC bike to Hayes as well.

My god, someone who likes Hayes brakes!  Good luck to you tlr.  I scared myself stupid in the Alps swapping bikes with a
punter that had Hayes 9's, but only the front one worked hence I was riding it.  He got off the other end of the descent saying he was going to bin the Hayes and buy Hopes.  I got off swearing I would never use Hayes brakes again, but it was one of the fastest descents of that particular hill I ever made!  ;

I thought that might cause some controversy, but I can only report what I've experienced. Lots of people seem not to like Hayes in the UK (but an awful lot of people whinge about Hope too), maybe I've been lucky, but my Hayes have been far better than my M4s ever were (in their actual ability to stop the bike), and need less looking after. It was a couple of friends who race DH who convinced me to try the Hayes and so far its been good advice. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the quickest rider downhill though.

I had the M4s and the Hayes on the same bike, each for a week in Les Arcs so riding the same trails, so the comparison for my sets of brakes was pretty fair. The (slightly unhelpful) attitude of the guys out in Les Arcs to anybody with brake issues was 'its because they are Hopes'....

Just for balance, I've not personally had any problems with my Hope Minis either, but another couple of friends have had no end of trouble despite constant bleeding and maintenance.

I do seem to be quite light on bike parts however, so maybe I'm not the best barometer!

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#28 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 01:50:45 pm
Was it you I met/saw at Wharncliffe with Bubba a while ago?
If so, what are you doing with your Bighit?

Can't really justify mono6s...
I need to find someone with some moto V2s and have a play.
Indeed it was me, the big hit has been sold on! All that is left are a pair of 888rc's and some aerial flat crowns.(all for sale) The bike was actually sold before i got the new un, amazingly people were actually haggling to out bid each other. seems the big hit with the 24" rear wheel is a bit of a design classic now.
Got a brand new glazzdolli 24" tyre you can have bubba, forgot I had it

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#29 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 01:52:48 pm
Hayes are ok on my hardtail but they are a pain in the arse really - where my bikes live can get a little damp and the Hayes are always seizing up when left in there for any length of time.

They are also weak! Ok budget brakes but pretty shite compared to more modern offerings imho.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 01:54:49 pm
seems the big hit with the 24" rear wheel is a bit of a design classic now.
Damn right! I still love mine :)  I still want a Session 10 mind ;)

Got a brand new glazzdolli 24" tyre you can have bubba, forgot I had it
Cheers fella :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#31 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 04:32:40 pm
the new hayes stokers are very very good...

i've ridden a 203 mm disc hayes front in the alps for 2 years... no probs... with an avid juicy 7 on the rear one year, Hope ti the year before. avid better in all respects

BTW, i have a set of Tis hanging about... i think ther're 185s... in full order and have spare pads

anyone want em? reasonable offers accepted... might have a hope bleed kit somwhere too!

i'll not be on line for few days... off to scootland!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#32 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 05:40:16 pm
I'm off to Machynlleth tomorrow and Coed-y-brenin Sunday.. should be fun but I'm going to take it very easy as I don't want to damage anything before I head off to Indo.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 28, 2008, 03:02:12 pm

BTW, i have a set of Tis hanging about... i think ther're 185s... in full order and have spare pads

anyone want em? reasonable offers accepted... might have a hope bleed kit somwhere too!

As in Hope m6 tis?
Front or rear? (or both)
Let me know which, and I'll have a think

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#34 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 28, 2008, 04:36:50 pm
both, with floating rotas

chappers

• forum hero
#35 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 28, 2008, 08:57:49 pm
looks hellish

they ride fixed in san francisco. watch mash.   buy it, its amazing.
that has a few hills!

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 29, 2008, 11:04:36 am
Cool. I'll send you a message later.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#37 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 04, 2008, 05:46:14 pm
fine outing today with norton, robin and mad Jerry!

I chose the route, god knows how far it is... who cares! 3 hrs.. of not easy conditions around Hope, jaggers clough, mam tor (nick close to cleaning the hill - damn him) and dirtlow rake and finally Pin Dale

*WARNING*

Pindale has had a chicane (!) of large boulders put in it on the first tight bend... you cant see the bugger if you're in flight mode, and 140mm of travel will not get you over it. Trust me... skidding on my left knee at 15 mph down the boulder strewn trail was not funny! Thank the Lord for 661 shell knee pads!! I'm getting some lightweight XC / All mtn elbow pads... i was damn lucky i can tell you.. the bends now are taken at  at wobblingly slow dawdle... not doubt that was the intent.. the bends are blind and both MXers and mtbers fly round them... to be honest it's safer... shame no one told me they were there! I was involved with a very big very very fast group ride down there 5 weeks ago... if the chicanes were then it would have been carnage...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#38 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 05, 2008, 08:54:19 am
How was the 'tress trip? and the canyoning?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#39 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 05, 2008, 10:00:29 am
didnt get to 'tress. coz the weather was awesome!!!!

white water rafting, bouldering then next day routes......  bloody beautiful place, right time of year... dry ground... good cons, no wee beasties....

recommended!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#40 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 08, 2008, 05:06:50 pm
trails round sheff all near dry now guys...

met a guy new to working at HighRise.... boulderer. on  a marin, fast... name paul?? he hooked up with us near burbage, was v quick on the lesser known aspects of Blakka...where i promptly displayed no real knowledge of the width of my new bars... and paid the price  :wall:  hit a tree, hard...

hope Norton got home OK, he borrowed my lights!!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#41 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 08, 2008, 05:20:14 pm
didnt get to 'tress. coz the weather was awesome!!!!
white water rafting, bouldering then next day routes......  bloody beautiful place, right time of year... dry ground... good cons, no wee beasties....

Bouldering and routes both at Weem? Typically scotland - not seen a cloud all week (apart from fog), then forecast to piss down all weekend.

fatkid2000

• junky
#42 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 14, 2008, 11:04:56 am
Fatdoc I've moved my questioning to here. On the Wolf medium my legs didn't hit the handle-bars even when in road mode, although it did feel cramped up compared to my road going machines. I think the only question now is whether to get the wolf or the attack - Is the attack worth the extra £400 ish. Lycra is for the road! Oh and the issue of hiding it from the Wife.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#43 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 14, 2008, 11:25:04 am
stans have a copy of the last post.... thought it would help

right,

fork upgrade is worth £150. it's a lot lighter. mine is way good. ignore the set up manual it's wrong. i'll do this for you. stans also have en email copy of my setup, get the attack trail set up via my formula. it's taken me 4 weeks to get it right, it makes a world of difference. with your experience being mainly road i'm not surprised if you'll end up with a large frame ... remember it's got to feel right in the DH setting, the *roadie* setting is not important....!

(I'm defo riding sunday morning BTW...)

XT shifters, best around IMO... i was gonna upgrade my deores, but forgot. the deores are flexi, less metal in and last 6 months tops.

the rims are a bit lighter, and that's rotational mass.

XT front mech vs. deore? doesnt make any difference IMO.

BUT

the XT brakes have rave reviews..... and are a big cost upgrade....

it'll be only 2 - 3lbs lighter than my Wolf, but in all the right places!

so,

yes..... it's worth the £400 more...

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#44 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 15, 2008, 10:39:18 pm
 Anyone fancy a session at Wharncliffe tomorrow evening? I'm free all afternoon and can give a lift from Crookes. I'm looking to play on the DH stuff, none of this XC lark.

Oli

fatkid2000

• junky
#45 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 16, 2008, 07:44:46 pm
Rode the medium and large wolf today. The medium was a far better overal fit especially off road and on the downhills. Just got to sort the cash out as I've just shelled out a load of cash for the wedding, and the other half is broke again!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#46 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 16, 2008, 08:36:19 pm
helmet, armoured gloves, 661 knee pads, camelbak, decent pump, shock pump & multitool to be factored into budget.

welcome to MTB!

if you do go *wolf* not attack then get a shifter upgrade off stans....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#47 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 01:23:00 pm
Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sheffield that is likely to be able to service a MTB tomorrow or Friday (going away at the weekend and realised that I've not been out on it in months and last time I rode it the gears all need realigning).

Tried JE James as they're close and nearby, but theres a 3 week waiting list :o.

Whats the place just down from the Broadfield?  Is Langsett Cycles worth trying?

Failing that I'll be getting my tools out and getting greasy tonight   :lol:

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#48 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 01:45:39 pm
Gear re-alignment on Shimano is easy. Take about 3 minutes unless its totally mullered.

Place near the Broady is called Butterworths (as is the place in Hillsborough).

If you want to sort it yourself I can explain how. Or even help you if you are struggling.

Tim

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#49 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
May 21, 2008, 01:55:11 pm
Gear re-alignment on Shimano is easy. Take about 3 minutes unless its totally mullered.

Place near the Broady is called Butterworths (as is the place in Hillsborough).

If you want to sort it yourself I can explain how. Or even help you if you are struggling.

Tim

Cheers Tim,

Have had a go at sorting it out before and have a book on how to do it all, but never seem able to get enough tension in the cables ('cause I'm a weakling!).  Might have a go tonight and if I've no joy just hire a bike like everyone else who's going along.

Will see how things go this evening,

ta again,

slack (Neil)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal