UKBouldering.com

Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread (Read 109479 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:26:51 pm
A new thread to seperate the lycras from the baggies and so that Fatdoc, the undisputed champion of all things biking on UKB, can share his knowledge.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:32:48 pm
Fatdoc, why so touchy about the Marin / Whyte comment.  Your white Marin is after designed by a Mr Whyte?

More importantly does anyone own any of the new Hope Vision 4's?  Or know anyone who does.  And if so has the lead broken yet?  I want to buy one but despite a lengthy conversation with a Hope bloke who was trying to persuade me otherwise I am not convinced that Hope have sorted out the leads and was looking for a bit of feedback.

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:34:07 pm
Disc brake question;

All with 203 rotors, Saints, Mono M4s, Moto V2s?

Currently erring to the side of M4s, but then you almost might as well spend another tenner and get V2s...
For downhill so weight isn't really to much of an issue.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:40:40 pm
Knockabout/Trail/Shopping Bike Question:

OK here's the requirement. I want a bike like the 'tracker' I built as a youth but a bit more beefy to go banging around some local trails & go to the shops.

I don't want a 'jump' bike 'cos they look so horrendous to actually ride but I also don't want a full 27 geared hardtail MTB.  I'm worried a fixed wheel is going to be too hard to push up the hills where I live.  So, ideally I'd like a hardtail frame with front suspension and 5 or 7 gears - all for under 500 quid.  Any suggestions from the UKB cycloknowledgebrain?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:43:28 pm
Love my M4's, but they are on an xc bike and haven't tried the others which is really not that much help.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:45:11 pm

I'm worried a fixed wheel is going to be too hard to push up the hills where I live. 

Fixed gear you mean? Fixed wheel is like a penny farthing isn't it?

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#6 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 04:45:34 pm
Knockabout/Trail/Shopping Bike Question:

OK here's the requirement. I want a bike like the 'tracker' I built as a youth but a bit more beefy to go banging around some local trails & go to the shops.

I don't want a 'jump' bike 'cos they look so horrendous to actually ride but I also don't want a full 27 geared hardtail MTB.  I'm worried a fixed wheel is going to be too hard to push up the hills where I live.  So, ideally I'd like a hardtail frame with front suspension and 5 or 7 gears - all for under 500 quid.  Any suggestions from the UKB cycloknowledgebrain?

Competition is so hot at that price range I would pick a bike from a big manufacturer and that fits you best.  Job done.

Over to you Fatdoc....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 05:01:37 pm

I'm worried a fixed wheel is going to be too hard to push up the hills where I live. 

Fixed gear you mean? Fixed wheel is like a penny farthing isn't it?

Yeah, but, no but

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 05:05:19 pm
looks hellish

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#9 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 05:36:37 pm
What I meant was Singlespeed as opposed to Fixed wheel (or gear).....

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#10 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 05:59:34 pm
would sir be thinking about something like this...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#11 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 06:09:44 pm
Wow! 

I spend 1 day at work and the world of UKB changes...

right, 1st off - my marin has different geo to whytes, whyte no longer works for marin or ATB sales, see link on legshavers for bikemagic review.

The 9 speed hardcore hard tail Qu... not easy to answer for £500 new.... check out the spesh P series...  you could always but 27 speed, take the front mech off and fit a chain device - that'll open up your choices maybe you'll have to consider 2nd hand (look on southerndownhill forum), GT do some in your price range, but they are well heavy, often without disk brakes... I'll ponder this a bit more and come back to you..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#12 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 06:19:06 pm
now then...brakes.

I'm NOT a fan of Hopes... that is the M series and the ti 6s.... they feel too flexy and dont have the power of the european oppostion... in the alps the Dhers have blown up a lot of them... one morzine orange hire outlet refused orange to put hope on their 2006 fleet, as 2005 was a disaster for them (XC bikes in the main). they went back to shimano deore - with good results.

but, times change. Hope have a very new product line up.

classically there are 2 kinds of disc brake.... smooth power onset... or all it's got near as you touch the lever (hayes being the best example). this distinction is becoming more and more blurred of late... brakes are getting a lot better. i love the feel of the avid 5 and 7.... seems to do it all with ease, very comfy on the fingers... the new hayes strokers i have are a cheap brake with a wonderful feel to them

i'm not well informed on the new Hopes to pass a good judgement... i'd wait  a few months on any new brake to buy... to get teething problems sorted out.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 07:41:39 pm
not easy to answer for £500 new....

I could go higher but I'm trying to be sensible .... you know how it is with bikes..  :bounce:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#14 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 07:46:44 pm
The DMR Trailstar frame looks good with a front shock and setup as a singlespeed.

This Orange looks fantastic but it's nearly 900 quid.

fatkid2000

• junky
#15 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 09:20:25 pm
Oh my - a whole thread for fatdoc - where he can display all his MTB geekness.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 24, 2008, 09:51:55 pm
would sir be thinking about something like this...

PeeWee Hermans dream bike!  :P

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#17 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 06:54:50 am
The DMR Trailstar frame looks good with a front shock and setup as a singlespeed.

This Orange looks fantastic but it's nearly 900 quid.

search around descent-world southerndownhill and perhaps gravity-slaves, you'll be fine with a second hand one...

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 09:56:42 am
Cheers. I know alot of it comes down to personal preference about lever feel and the like. I've got an old style mini on my hardtail that i like alot, and C2s on my DH bike (retro eh?) which i fecking hate.

So as usual, I guess it'll be jumping into the unknown and hoping i like the feel. Although commandeering some friends bikes for a play might be a good bet.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#19 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 10:48:10 am
I swapped from old M4s to Hayes HFX 9 on my Alps bike - there's no comparison, the Hayes are better in every way than the M4s, and they are pretty cheap as well. My wife has the XC versions on her bike, and when I get round to it I'll swap the old Minis on my XC bike to Hayes as well.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#20 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 11:52:31 am
Got Avid Juicy 7's on my turner 6 pack and mono 6 ti on my downhill bike...
Love them both and both seem to have great power and modulation, howvere you cant get 6tis anymore so I do hear good things about the V2

And just for the record my new bike is now built up.....

dont have the 40's on mine but the rest is pretty similar

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 12:31:54 pm
Was it you I met/saw at Wharncliffe with Bubba a while ago?
If so, what are you doing with your Bighit?

Can't really justify mono6s...
I need to find someone with some moto V2s and have a play.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 12:46:44 pm
Falling Down - what about a Charge Bikes Stove?

It's billed as a "pub bike" - single speed, rigid frame and brand new for £299 - basically it's a grown up BMX cruiser.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#23 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 12:47:27 pm
I swapped from old M4s to Hayes HFX 9 on my Alps bike - there's no comparison, the Hayes are better in every way than the M4s, and they are pretty cheap as well. My wife has the XC versions on her bike, and when I get round to it I'll swap the old Minis on my XC bike to Hayes as well.

My god, someone who likes Hayes brakes!  Good luck to you tlr.  I scared myself stupid in the Alps swapping bikes with a
punter that had Hayes 9's, but only the front one worked hence I was riding it.  He got off the other end of the descent saying he was going to bin the Hayes and buy Hopes.  I got off swearing I would never use Hayes brakes again, but it was one of the fastest descents of that particular hill I ever made!  ;D

imho the problem a lot of people experience with Hope's overheating, particularly  in the Alps, is due to them dragging the brakes causing gradual heat build up.  Hope's were designed around racing where you tank down a hill then bang the brakes on as hard as possible when you need them.  For this purpose they work extremely well which I can confirm from much testing in the Alps.  This issue is probably why Hope no offer floating discs and phenolic pistons.

Avid's are a bit softer feeling but do work very well, apart from the turkey gobbler noise when they get hot and the fact that the pads are a bastard to change.  

And of course Shimano's just work, very well.  

But that's all just my opinion.

By the way Hope Mono M4 pads are the same as Shim XT.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#24 Re: Ask Fatdoc - the MTB thread
April 25, 2008, 12:49:06 pm
Falling Down - what about a Charge Bikes Stove?

It's billed as a "pub bike" - single speed, rigid frame and brand new for £299 - basically it's a grown up BMX cruiser.

Looks good but wouldn't work in Sheffield all our potholes and no front sus!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal