UKBouldering.com

Elbows *yawn* (Read 3090 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 09:56:42 am
So another thread about these most troublesome of joints -

I seem to have a dodgy left elbow at the moment. It doesn't really hurt when climbing very much (just feels a bit weak and dodgy), but feels a bit achey and stiff afterwards and often very stiff when I wake up. Not sure of the cause, I don't think its a muscle imbalance and a problem caused by poor technique would probably affect both? I am pretty hot on warming up and stretching etc.

Current strategy is to carry on climbing outdoors as normal but taking it relatively easy on the plastic (which i dont do much of anyway). I am always a bit suspicious of layoffs with injuries.

Is this being foolhardy? Ought I to take it more seriously?

If you're still awake, sorry for another boring post - please dont punter me.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 10:04:17 am
Where does it ache?  Outside of your elbow on the bony bit?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#2 Re: Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 10:26:11 am
Apres climbing/mornings - the whole thing (the stiffness and ache gives up pretty quickly with a bit of moving it and massage). But during climbing yesterday I could feel it where the tendon attaches to the epi-thing (nobbly bit on outside). Not painful really, but just present.

The Sausage

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 03:37:27 pm
I have written some stuff on this in the past...

My feeling is that we tend to lump all elbow problems into the 'tendonitis' bag, when in fact that may not be the root cause. My belief (as a physio and climber who has suffered with elbow problems) is that what presents as lateral epicondylitis/tennis elbow is in fact more likely to be a problem with the radial nerve.

Either way, stopping climbing on plastic may well help it to settle. Give it a week and see what happens.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 03:54:20 pm
Do you stretch your arms at all. I know it sounds equally boring, but I often suffer pains on lower bicep / inner elbow often (mainly on my right, which i broke as a child and it never quite set properly), so am quite religious about stretching whenever I can.

abarro81

• forum hero
#5 Re: Elbows *yawn*
April 17, 2008, 08:13:18 pm
3-9 is an arm stretching fiend...
Since there's an elbow thread here: what's the deal with elbows which feel fine when i'm low on them but often feel sore as soon as i get to a deeper lock (shoulders or lower)?

webbo

• forum hero
#6 Re: Elbows *yawn*
May 09, 2008, 01:26:33 pm
came across this on cocktalk.
http://www.tendonosis.com/
the ice massage sounds something else.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#7 Re: Elbows *yawn*
May 09, 2008, 01:37:27 pm
I had a reoccurence of aches in my left elbow at Font last weekend, I've always assumed it was joint related (mainly from overdoing it on plastic) and just dealt with it by rest and ice. Mentioned it to the massage therapist last night and she had a go at my bicep tendons - feels a lot better this morning  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal