UKBouldering.com

Physio, Osteo or Chiro? (Read 11203 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:16:34 pm
Had a deepish pain across the top of the right of my arse for about a week and a half now and getting a bit concerned, as font is looming fast, so going to get someone to look at it. Not really got time to see a GP and get a referral, so will need to spend my own cash, but make sure I get to see the right person. Last time I knackered my back (about 2002) I saw an Osteo in Bristol, and he was really good, but not sure about what to do in this instance?

Any advice before googling to see what's available locally?

Thanks

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:21:16 pm
You give next to nothing away at all.  If you've got time to quiz the net see your GP first.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:23:50 pm
If it's muscular see a physio.
Osteopathy and chiropracters are not something I (personally) have faith in, but a lot of people (anecdotally) say it helps.
A decent GP should have a bit of a clue and should be able to guide you and maybe recommend someone to visit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:36:51 pm
You give next to nothing away at all.  If you've got time to quiz the net see your GP first.

You miss the point entirely. I can get an appointment with my GP for monday morning, "quizzing the net" takes a few minutes, and there are some people who are capable of giving an opinion.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:38:58 pm
If it's muscular see a physio.

Thanks will do. Will track down a physio now, and see what the GP says when I eventually get to see one.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 03:46:20 pm
Sounds like a pain that I had that was associated with various back damage and posture problems. A physio sorted me out with the McKenzie exercises to manage it myself. I also got a book about managing one's back pain from the McKenzie people - google might show something up about it?

I felt the pain at the top R of my buttock, but the damage was at the spine. The main excercise was the prone back extension. Hope you get yours sorted
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:02:40 pm by lagerstarfish »

carefultorque

• player
#6 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 04:36:20 pm
Hey Chris,

In a way, these aren't mutually exclusive. 

As far as I understand it from a chiropractor that I've seen a few times, the treatment is partly based on the theory that 'maintenance' by a chiropractor keeps the major nerves radiating from the spinal cord in good condition, by ensuring that they're not impinged, and that their blood supply is what it should be.  :-\ If, the theory continues, these nerves are in good nick, then the major organs work better and we feel healthier all round.  Ta da!  (I know it sure looks like it, but this isn't my pseudo-science: it's a paraphrase of what he told me underpins the theory of chiropractic).

Physiotherapists, as we all know, look at the muscles and their attachments to joints as well as functional strength.  There's nothing to say that if money were no object, you wouldn't benefit from seeing both at the same time. 

Osteopaths I don't have any experience of.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#7 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 04:39:41 pm
chiropractor keeps the major nerves radiating from the spinal cord in good condition, by ensuring that they're not impinged, and that their blood supply is what it should be.  :-\ If, the theory continues, these nerves are in good nick, then the major organs work better and we feel healthier all round. 

Load of arse.

My humble opinion, please feel free to ignore it

carefultorque

• player
#8 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 06:20:30 pm

Load of arse.

An orthopaedic surgeon I was talking to recently put it quite diplomatically.  'My friend X takes the piss out of what I do and I take the piss out of what she [a chiropractor] does.'  He was good enough to overlook the 15 year difference in professional  training in her favour.

I'm a natural 'show me/prove it to me' pain in the arse.  But I've managed to keep an open (-ish) mind about the mediaeval-sounding theory-of-chiropractice expounded to me. 

I think even the medics are coming round.  Not sure quite how it works, they seem to be saying, but if the punters like it and it appears to have some theraputic affect, what's the harm?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#9 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 06:36:49 pm
i would ask people local to you (who have had the most similar type of problem) to get personal recommendations

someone could have done masses of research and an outstanding degree - and still have all the empathy and deftness of touch of a bucketful of nails - i am not saying training/a qualifications is irrelevant, just that its not the be all and end all

i'd be prepared to keep an open mind - especially if i got a rave review from a friend

i guess you also have to ask what do you really want? the real solution to your problem might be in doing tedious exercises for ages to correct your posture - what you might want right now is some immediate relief (and attention) by having a good old massage

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#10 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 06:39:02 pm
I think even the medics are coming round.  Not sure quite how it works, they seem to be saying, but if the punters like it and it appears to have some theraputic affect, what's the harm?
I'm not disputing that people get benefit, only the daft explanation.

carefultorque

• player
#11 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 06:51:14 pm

I'm not disputing that people get benefit, only the daft explanation.

Well, actually there was more!  He said that one or more of these major nerves, radiating from the spinal cord, may atrophy when there's a joint problem, unless properly maintained [i.e, by a chiropractor]

Once again, I'm just reciting exactly what he said without saying that I agree or that I'm qualified to agree.  I'm not.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 08:32:55 pm
i would ask people local to you (who have had the most similar type of problem) to get personal recommendations

i guess you also have to ask what do you really want? the real solution to your problem might be in doing tedious exercises for ages to correct your posture - what you might want right now is some immediate relief (and attention) by having a good old massage

I have asked about, made an appointment with someone local wo someone at work said was good.

I am quite prepared for both. Like most climbers I am sure my posture is awful.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#13 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 15, 2008, 09:49:13 pm

As far as I understand it from a chiropractor that I've seen a few times, the treatment is partly based on the theory that 'maintenance' by a chiropractor keeps the major nerves radiating from the spinal cord in good condition, by ensuring that they're not impinged, and that their blood supply is what it should be.  :-\ If, the theory continues, these nerves are in good nick, then the major organs work better and we feel healthier all round.  Ta da!  (I know it sure looks like it, but this isn't my pseudo-science: it's a paraphrase of what he told me underpins the theory of chiropractic).

Having had extensive chiropractic treatment in the past for a neck injury (a rather fetching kink in my neck that was causing the nerves to my shoulders to get trapped with extremely painful consequences) your first sentence pretty much matches up with what I would say that a chiropractor does but it also corrects the problem to a large degree as well if my understanding of it is correct. Your use of the word mediaeval is also rather accurate in my opinion - the first time I had treatment I did seriously wonder if I was ever actually going to be able to get off the table again after hearing the crack/pop that my neck and lower back made.

Got to say that the second sentence really does sound as bad as you think it does but I can see a certain correlation with living with less or no pain making you feel a whole lot better though the corresponding beating your wallet takes off sets this some.  ;)

bluebrad

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 08:23:26 am
I've had some really worthless treatment from physios and some very worthwhile from chiros,  osteopaths and acupuncturists. If folk want to diss alterantive therapies stick to reiki and homeopathy.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 08:27:21 am
 :agree: Apart from the worthless physio treatment as I have a good one. Chiropractic treatment can be extremely effective.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#16 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 08:43:03 am
If folk want to diss alterantive therapies stick to reiki and homeopathy.

Homeopathy is OK, it dispels all the evil humours and rebalances the chyle.
I'm a believer in the "no harm, no foul" principle.  Just don't support it with pseudoscientific explanations.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 08:51:21 am
Voodoo and harming fowl all the way for me these days.   :whistle:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#18 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 08:55:24 am
Is that why you keep trying to hack your finger off? Wondered why I saw Lagers sticking pins in a doll the other day.......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#19 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 09:04:22 am
Nah . . .   Just a bad tipsy multi-tasker.

carefultorque

• player
#20 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 16, 2008, 10:09:43 am
If folk want to diss alterantive therapies stick to reiki and homeopathy.

Homeopathy is OK, it dispels all the evil humours and rebalances the chyle.

I remain undecided about crystals but have taken to standing under a pyramid at dusk, inhaling dew from the wing of a ladybird. It rebalances the humours.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#21 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 20, 2008, 12:13:21 am
Osteopathy and chiropracters are not something I (personally) have faith in, but a lot of people (anecdotally) say it helps.
A decent GP should have a bit of a clue and should be able to guide you and maybe recommend someone to visit.
I find it incredible that Chiro's are still considered as outside standard medical circles.

For christ sakes you can get bloody aromatherapy on the NHS in Sheffield but not chiro.

I see a chiro who was president of the UK chiro association a couple of years ago. A no-nonsense Scot who doesn't feed me any mumbo jumbo. All I know is I walk in there with back pain, and walk out with less or on occasion zero back pain. There's no 'belief' or 'faith' involved. It is certainly evidence enough for me, anecdotal or otherwise. Personally I have never walked out of a GP surgery instantly feeling physically better.

Whilst we are being sceptical about interventions, reserve a healthy scepticism for some things that your GP tells you, remembering that they are told much by the pharma industry and relate it to patients as fact. Take for example the seroxat farce, it was known for years that smarties would provide better anti-depressive qualities, but GSK sat on the results and manipulated the studies until they got one that they wanted to publish. Unbelievable. How many young people's depression has been worsened to the point of suicide by taking sugar pills?

study 377 showed that the placebo was "actually more effective than the anti-depressant."

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/search?fulltext=seroxat&x=0&y=0

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#22 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 20, 2008, 09:37:33 am
I find it incredible that Chiro's are still considered as outside standard medical circles.

For christ sakes you can get bloody aromatherapy on the NHS in Sheffield but not chiro.

I see a chiro who was president of the UK chiro association a couple of years ago. A no-nonsense Scot who doesn't feed me any mumbo jumbo. All I know is I walk in there with back pain, and walk out with less or on occasion zero back pain. There's no 'belief' or 'faith' involved. It is certainly evidence enough for me, anecdotal or otherwise. Personally I have never walked out of a GP surgery instantly feeling physically better.

Whilst we are being sceptical about interventions, reserve a healthy scepticism for some things that your GP tells you, remembering that they are told much by the pharma industry and relate it to patients as fact. Take for example the seroxat farce, it was known for years that smarties would provide better anti-depressive qualities, but GSK sat on the results and manipulated the studies until they got one that they wanted to publish. Unbelievable. How many young people's depression has been worsened to the point of suicide by taking sugar pills?

study 377 showed that the placebo was "actually more effective than the anti-depressant."

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/search?fulltext=seroxat&x=0&y=0

Oh God, the poor lad just wants his back fixing!!, now look what we've done!

In essence some very interesting points on here.

I'm not biased (much  ;)), I'm a pain Dr and I do acupuncture...

My triathlon Orthopeadic surgeon mate until 6 weeks ago was the MOST sceptical dude however... shame he a had a 6 month history of classic piriformis pain (in arse, tight hamstrings... classic cycling problem) and was now 10% off usual times for 10KM. which were declining...

After a HUGE amount of badgering... he went to see the massage therapist i go to. 1 hr of agonising therapy later he books another appt on leaving..... 2 sessions later he feels fine, 3 weeks after he beats his 10Km PB by a big margin. He's converted.  ;D

Biomechanics  / massage therapy / chiro are not available on the NHS.

Whether this sort of therapy to allow peeps to continue to engage in sport should be free is a bit difficult.... is that the role of the NHS??? This could explode into the worth of the individual vs society and health rationing.... e.g: treating lung cancer in smokers, treating DVT in the morbidly obese or not giving an ITU bed to an overdose patient... :o

I'm of the opinion these musculo-skeletal therapies should be on the nHS with a nominal fee... acute back pain is now a chiro referable treatment option in the notts area on the NHS, their result for back to work rates are better then physio (I was told this by the chiro that has helped organise the NHS contract... i doubt he's fibbing)....

bottom line is: who pays. mostly it works

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 20, 2008, 01:29:16 pm
Biomechanics  / massage therapy / chiro are not available on the NHS.

They are, just called physiotherapy (substitute manipulation for chiro).  I try and avoid becoming embroiled in these kind of threads, but I am slightly disappointed that a pain doctor is not aware of this.

The traditional philosophy behind chiro. is clearly wrong, especially including the 'bones out of alignment' stuff, as most chiros. I have spoken with agree.  Equally clearly, manipulation is very helpful for many people with back pain but the brand of the manipulator does not matter (UKBEAM trial: 1000 people manipulated by physios., chiros or osteos.  All treatments equally effective, all a little better than good GP care).

To the OP: there are good 'uns and bad 'uns of all stripes and my advice is to go to whoever comes well-recommended locally, once your GP has cleared you for take-off.  Whoever you see should be giving you advice on how to look after yourself and exercises to do, not just clicking your spine, taking your money and telling you to come back next week.  There is no evidence that 'preventative' manipulation decreases the chance of a recurrence.

I've written a spiel on back pain, aimed at doctors and clued-up patients here.  It has some (basic) exercises that might be worth trying.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:49:10 pm by duncan, Reason: fixing links »

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 Re: Physio, Osteo or Chiro?
April 20, 2008, 02:02:50 pm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal