UKBouldering.com

Headphone recommendations please... (Read 3823 times)

underground

• forum hero
Headphone recommendations please...
April 12, 2008, 08:59:11 pm
I'd like some idea about what's what in headphone terms please.. i currently know next to nowt.

Looking at <40 quid preferably, closed back proper over the head type headphones primarily for using on the proper stereo at home (sound leakage would be bad news here), possibly for ipod use when travelling, but unlikely to be used on the street etc. as I use ear canal phones then.

Swivelling earpiece wouldn't be a bad thing but ain't essential since I don't get on the decks much at all these days.

And I don't want them to crush my head and get uncomfortable after 5 minutes.

Currently on the shortlist are Sennheiser HD202s or 205s, Skullcandy Lowriders or Terje Nines or GI or Hesh (but I'll need to do more research on them in case they're more style than substance)

and various Sony ones that are under 15 quid.

Good points would be: blocking outside noise out, and sounding good with a range of music styles. Clarity for vocal and acoustic guitar and a bit of bass wouldn't hurt for the hip hop days.

Idol eyes

• junky
#1 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 12, 2008, 09:12:49 pm
I use skullcandy for mixing,,,
There ok!!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 12, 2008, 09:19:38 pm
Splash out on the Grado SR60, 'bout 80 quid but worth every penny.

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 12, 2008, 09:46:20 pm
Splash out on the Grado SR60, 'bout 80 quid but worth every penny.

They look like a good option - but splashing out would be akin to 'line up to get shot'. Let's just say headphones are not everyone's priority in this household!

Here's a question - they say 'open' - what does it actually mean to be 'open' or 'closed' back? Does it affect sound going in or out at all?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 12, 2008, 09:55:10 pm
This is quite a good explanation.
Personally, I found Open gave better reproduction.  Not as good as decent speakers obviously, but the next best.

[splashing out would be akin to 'line up to get shot'. Let's just say headphones are not everyone's priority in this household!

You could always lie  :whistle:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 13, 2008, 10:21:26 am
Fuck it, just go w/ out something useless for a bit.  Beer, food even.  Music must come first.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#6 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 13, 2008, 10:45:37 am
when I was gigging I used to use the sennheiser hd25 (I think thats the right number..) anyhow, they're the closed back outside broadcast pro jobs... amazing for cutting out background noise, hearing what your doing and generally good sound quality... but not a patch on open cans... in my experience open headphones allow the sound to breathe and generally the sound is a whole lot better across the board..  on the downside because they're open other people can hear what your listening too (to some extent..) if thats an issue!!! closed models can be pretty uncomfortable too as they tend to clamp to your head..... aside from that, get the best you can afford... for the sake of a few quid extra you could change your appreciation of music.. think of it this way.. you wouldn't skimp on new speakers would you?

underground

• forum hero
#7 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 13, 2008, 09:15:34 pm
This is quite a good explanation.
Personally, I found Open gave better reproduction.  Not as good as decent speakers obviously, but the next best.

[splashing out would be akin to 'line up to get shot'. Let's just say headphones are not everyone's priority in this household!

You could always lie  :whistle:

It wouldn't be the first time  :whistle:

I may not skimp on decent speakers one day, but at the moment I just need to get the sound out of the room and into my head, without hating the way it's reproduced in the headphones, whilst still keeping my testicicles intact....

so any suggestions on the lighter side of 40 notes would still be much appreciated  :'(

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 13, 2008, 09:39:13 pm
The Goldring DR100 cans are something you should definitely go look at.

underground

• forum hero
#9 Re: Headphone recommendations please...
April 14, 2008, 10:24:30 pm
The Goldring DR100 cans are something you should definitely go look at.

That's more like it- they look perfect, good call. Although I've just askd a friend in Texarkana to see about bringing a pair of Grado's over when he comes....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
The Goldrings are very good, but listen to the Grados and you'll know they are a different class.
Both offerings are amazing for the price, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The final assessment is always in listening to music you love on your own set up.  Enjoy.

underground

• forum hero
The Goldrings are very good, but listen to the Grados and you'll know they are a different class.
Both offerings are amazing for the price, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The final assessment is always in listening to music you love on your own set up.  Enjoy.

When i started thinking about investing, I should have known what a minefield this is! Still, I have narrowed the choice down somewhat - not too sure about the Grado's, for the simple reason that I know I'd leave them out one night and come home from work to find them wrecked by the kids (they seem a tad fragile)

So at the mo, the battle is on between DR100's (look nice and big and comfy, assuming they go right over my ears, 30 quid delivered from Superfi) and the beyerdynamic dt231 (not the purple one that costs about 15 quid more cos it's purple) - which gets great reviews but some say it's uncomfortable as it isn't quite fully circumaural....

Hopefully I'll try them tomorrow at Moorgate acoustics, that will clearly be the best test.

GCW-any idea what the DR100s are like to drive, amplifier vs. Ipod for example, will they manage both?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
The DR100s have an impedence of 32ohms, pretty low.  I can't forsee any issues with iPods, since the standard headphones with the iPods are also 32ohms.
A proper hifi amp will be fine with them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal