UKBouldering.com

Hard sport climbing in the Matlock area (Read 89300 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
People donated to the PBF based on the premiss that the funds were for re-equipping only and no retro bolting. Within these rules any sport routes in the Peak area (doesn't have to be in the Peak park itself) can be done.

Ahh, okay that makes sense, thanks for that.

I wouldn't big us up too much. So far we've done ok with the fund raising, but not really achieved much re-bolting.  :-[

Theres a certain order to things though, and you need the funds first.

JC

• addict
Jon's Autumn 2007 free ascents of Limelight and Squeezing out Sparks have not been repeated yet!

What grade did he give squeezin? Did he rebolt this as well or were my approved resin bolts sufficient?

The 2 resin bolts were fine, but the rest of the route i re-geared. Its now a proper sport route, as is Limelight too. I thought 7c was about right because after the short boulder out of the cave, its basically only about 6c+ to the top. I'm not very good at grading so i am keen for people to repeat these two routes!  :)

belperpete

• addict
I did the trad lines here well before Pete Cresswell etc. put up the newer (and mostly excellent) sport stuff. Not the nicest place to climb but if you can put that aside, it's got the climbing. On The Road E2/3 5c (up the enormous leaning corner) is a brilliant route as well as some of the other older lines. But, they're trad and, on a crag like this will never get the attention they deserve (if any). What would people think about these being equipped (not bolt fund resources!) so it's purely sport there? That would open up a number of quality mid grade lines and it's hardly going to threaten the fabric of our mainly trad scene. Personally, I'm up for doing this but don't know what to do :please:

Do these fall outside the geographical locale for the Peak Bolt Fund?  If not is there any barrier to using resources from PBF to bolt lower graded routes, or is it only for the elite?  (Assuming the resources are available of course).

Just polite enquiry, I've no agenda/axe to grind and don't want to start an argument.

Good work to those who have set up and done so much work for the PBF to-date.

I just hate to see good rock wasted. You've only got to look at the numbers visiting Horseshoe to see that there's a real need for quality, well equipped lower graded routes. Take Lorry Park Quarry itself and there are 4 really good crack lines all at about 6b+/c ish that won't get done trad, but cleaned and bolted would get at least some attention I'm sure. As for financing stuff like that, fool that I am, I don't mind funding it myself - I think retrobolting shouldn't be on the Peak Bolt Fund agenda.

belperpete

• addict
People donated to the PBF based on the premiss that the funds were for re-equipping only and no retro bolting. Within these rules any sport routes in the Peak area (doesn't have to be in the Peak park itself) can be done.
I wouldn't big us up too much. So far we've done ok with the fund raising, but not really achieved much re-bolting.  :-[
Long Tor pretty good today - bit of seepage from weekend but rapidly drying. Boltest looking good for example. Future Primitive rebolted today, maybe clean it Tuesday. Is that your single bolt between PF and FP? If so, do you mind if we have a look at that area? Doing some heavy work on the ledge system to make it more pleasant up that end of the crag. Some new stuff (own bolts) done at Turkey Dip, likewise in excellent condition.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yeah, that'll be my bolt. By all means use it and scope out the area for new lines. I seem to remember their being a few things to do further up slope. Good work with the ledge clearance. It was a right jungle when I first started re-development! It was an epic struggle just to force a way through. I'm looking forward to a re-visit now.
Do have a look at Scum Manifesto buttress too. That and the route to it's left Human Capital are good and there looks to be a worthwhile hard line up the left arete by the upper part of SM (I got as far as removing a huge swath of Ivy that had grown over these in 2006). New Bridge buttress at Wildcat might also be worth checking out.

belperpete

• addict
Cheers Jon, yeah it must have been like a trip to the lost world. I'll keep plugging away with the clear up and it'll get there eventually. Thanks for go ahead with possible new line, will have a look soon, as well as other areas to right. Did have a look at New Bridge, earlier this year - it was a rubbish day and it'll be worth a revisit.
Incidentally, when Jon and I saw you to pick up the rebolting stuff, you mentioned having some good drill bits. I reckon mine are a bit crappy and wondered what you'd got from Neil? 

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I'm pretty sure it's these http://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/modules/prcat/prca_printpage.jsp?RANGE_ID=r1534 . They are a 'double fluted helix' design, so they have a cross profile at the tip.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
 :off: But:

Scum Manifesto buttress.

Is this buttress horrifically sharp?  Society for Cutting Up Men as written by the fruitloop who shot Warhol.  I have this pamphlet somewhere...

Fascinating read.

belperpete

• addict
I'm pretty sure it's these http://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/modules/prcat/prca_printpage.jsp?RANGE_ID=r1534 . They are a 'double fluted helix' design, so they have a cross profile at the tip.
Not your normal home maintenance kit! Any chance I could pick up a couple from you as we're not getting as many holes out of a full battery as we should and I'm sure it's down to our cheapo drill bits. Promise to only use them on rebolting projects! By the way, bought a  2nd hand Hilti complete resin applicator from ebay for £30 - they're best part of £100 new, so I was well pleased. There's usually a few available on ebay at a similar price.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yes, of course. I'm usually in Mon,Wed and Fri after 5pm. Txt or PM me when you want to get them.

belperpete

• addict
:off: But:

Scum Manifesto buttress.

Is this buttress horrifically sharp?  Society for Cutting Up Men as written by the fruitloop who shot Warhol.  I have this pamphlet somewhere...

Fascinating read.

It's not quite that bad!! Did you know there's a French film of the name from 1976. Andy Warhol did a film called Women in Revolt inventing a group of feminists called the PIG society (Politically involved girlies).
Pub Quiz question of the day - "What's the connection between the Manic Street Preahers and Valerie Solanas?"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:47:53 am by Bonjoy, Reason: quotes correction »

belperpete

• addict
Yes, of course. I'm usually in Mon,Wed and Fri after 5pm. Txt or PM me when you want to get them.
Cheers, will get in touch :thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Pub Quiz question of the day - "What's the connection between the Manic Street Preahers and Valerie Solanas?"

Of Walking Abortion - Manics tune based on Solanas' SCUM Manifesto proposal that as the male chromosome is an incomplete female chromosome men are incomplete emotionally etc. Fucking mentalist.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Of Walking Abortion - Manics tune based on Solanas' SCUM Manifesto proposal that as the male chromosome is an incomplete female chromosome men are incomplete emotionally etc. Fucking mentalist.

I regularly use the excuse "I can't help it - I have a broken chromosome" when I fail to perform some domestic chore correctly or on time, and so must thank Ms Solanas for pointing this out to me.  :thumbsup:

belperpete

• addict

I regularly use the excuse "I can't help it - I have a broken chromosome" when I fail to perform some domestic chore correctly or on time, and so must thank Ms Solanas for pointing this out to me.  :thumbsup:
My wife's a big fan of hers and often calls me by the name of that particular manifesto!!
Yeah you got your points. Their song "Of Walking Abortion" on the album The Holy Bible is named after a quote from the manifesto and it's a good song. Another answer would have been the song (which I prefer) Little Baby Nothing from the debut album Generation Terrorists on which Solanas is quoted on the sleeve notes.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
Yes. Will sort something like that out. A thread on here and something on the PBF website.
 Zeke must have been bolted by someone unconnect with the PBF.

Hi Jon,

Heard that Kristian Clemmow rebolted Zeke. Second hand beta though so not certain.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
Thought it worth mentioning a few things, following comments re conditions on Rubicon, Raven Tor .... First, Turkey Dip, near Matlock is in pretty near perfect condition now. 3 routes by Taylor, Hawkins and Plant from 20 years ago were fully bolted, last year by Jon Clark who also added a stack of top quality new ones. New route activity has started again with a brilliant 7c+ and there's more on the way! The place packs a powerful punch for a small crag and I guarantee you'll be impressed. Apart from a warm-up, routes are all 7b and up (and I mean up). Listed in Gary's www.sportsclimbs.co.uk/ this place is a major addition to the contemporary Peak sort scene. Second, although not a place a lot of people think of as linked to sport climbing, High Tor offers a whole bunch of top quality routes, such as Wile e Coyote, High Torquing etc. All been re-geared and, by the way, Jon's Autumn 2007 free ascents of Limelight and Squeezing out Sparks have not been repeated yet! Finally Long Tor, likewise, is in pretty good condition and hosts a whole bunch of brilliant face climbs, like The Boltest, Pistol Fingers etc., with more to come. Sorry to sound like an advert, but there is hard sport climbing South of Stoney, mostly in good condition at the moment and the area should be a must on every hard sport climbers venue list. Be glad to provide more info if you post contact details. :goodidea:

Looks awesome Pete, can't wait to check it out!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Yes. Will sort something like that out. A thread on here and something on the PBF website.
 Zeke must have been bolted by someone unconnect with the PBF.

Hi Jon,

Heard that Kristian Clemmow rebolted Zeke. Second hand beta though so not certain.
Ah yes I remember now! This was done with PBF bolts after all. (I do keep a diary on the subject, just don't have it with me at work)

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
Hi Pete, I agree with you that Lorry Park could do with a makeover but I'm not sure that should include retro bolting the crack lines. Their probably unclimable in there current condition in fact I think theres a rather large bush growing in one crack line. Last time I paid a visit got molested by some travellers dogs, I reckon your best approaching from the DCC car park round the back of John Hadfield House instead of running the gauntlet.
Ian was keen to do the cracks a few years back (trad of course) not sure if he got round to it due to their state.
Is bend tor on your adgenda as well ?

All the best MarkL

uptown

• junky
New Bridge buttress at Wildcat might also be worth checking out.

Second that - I remember some great rock (similar to max buttress down cheedale) and a superb e4 of Gibsons with just one old bolt in it. Always smacked of 7a/7a+ though with the need for more gear.

JC - Did you do/regear the top pitch of SOS? I never tried it though Darren and Malc reckoned it was quality.

JC

• addict
yes mate the route goes right to the top of the crag in ONE pitch now, with a proper lower-off at the top. It is really good, in a great postition and not that hard, prob about 6c+ ish. I use the upper part of the route as a warm up for the other routes.  Forgot to mention there are two abseil rings in the cave now for ease of belaying/descent.   :)

belperpete

• addict
Hi Pete, I agree with you that Lorry Park could do with a makeover but I'm not sure that should include retro bolting the crack lines. Their probably unclimable in there current condition in fact I think theres a rather large bush growing in one crack line. Last time I paid a visit got molested by some travellers dogs, I reckon your best approaching from the DCC car park round the back of John Hadfield House instead of running the gauntlet.
Ian was keen to do the cracks a few years back (trad of course) not sure if he got round to it due to their state.
Is bend tor on your adgenda as well ?

All the best MarkL
Hi Mark - good to hear from you. I forgot you were moderator for Lorry Park, I remember Ian saying you'd done some clean up work at one point. The travelers were cleared off ages ago and the council put a 'barrier' in the way of further entry. It is a right mess there - very offputting straight away. I didn't know you could get in from Hadfield House end OK - would DCC object? Thanks for your thoughts but, regarding old crack routes, they're in such a state because they don't get done and why don't they get done - because nobody wants to bother with trad on a crag like this basically. Clean them up, put 4 bolts and a decent lower off in and bingo! They'd get some attention, although 'cos of where they are it's never gonna be at the top of anybody's list for a visit but I know Ian would be more inclined to actually climb them to give one example. Credit to you Mark for work you've done in the past but, personally I don't see the point of putting in what would be quite a lot of work to clean up routes only to see them more or less ignored, as they have been for 20 years or so. Any other takers on this one?   

dpb

• addict
I'd vote for them to be bolted.

Had a look in here not too long ago and, as Belperpete says, the cracks are in a bit of a state.  Once cleaned, the only way they will ever stay clean is if they have shiny bolts sticking out every now and then.  I'd be keen to climb them in that state.

Had a good day at Turkey Dip a couple of weeks ago.  Check it out people, its worth a visit!

belperpete

• addict
I'd vote for them to be bolted.

Had a look in here not too long ago and, as Belperpete says, the cracks are in a bit of a state.  Once cleaned, the only way they will ever stay clean is if they have shiny bolts sticking out every now and then.  I'd be keen to climb them in that state.

Had a good day at Turkey Dip a couple of weeks ago.  Check it out people, its worth a visit!
:thumbsup:Thanks for your thoughts - you know how I feel!
Re Turkey Dip - glad to hear you had a good time. Feedback would be really useful. Happy with the bolting generally? What routes did you climb or work and what are your thoughts on grades etc.?
It's still in excellent condition, just a little seepage here and there, but nothing critical really.
You'll see 3 more routes when you go back, as usual brilliant climbing, high 7's possibly 8's

belperpete

• addict
 :bounce: forgot to mention that I put together a (very) simple topo for Long Tor quarry, 'cos it is a confusing place to scope. It's on UKClimbing database (use Crag Search in Logbooks) as a JPEG. The numbers on it match the route numbers on the database, which is why I didn't clutter the topo up with them.
Can anybody tell me about 2 routes on there that I can't locate - El Capitan (Simon Lee) and Spanner in the Works (that's gotta have been done by Andy Spendlove - of the nickname 'Spanner', surely)? Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal