UKBouldering.com

Injured like a twat part deux. (Read 7746 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 12:31:46 pm
This wasn't a case of lack of resources just shit management.

Maybe they didn't have the resources to provide management as they were all allocated to helping those injured people they have to attend to who fall off rocks etc.  :lol:

Besides, chatting to a member of an ambulance crew is perhaps not the most comprehensive source for how busy a department that they visit intermittently is?

You walked (or hobbled) in, and whilst the timeline isn't clear it sounds as though you waited a few hours to go to the hospital maybe.  Whilst you may have been in discomfort you can't have been that bad.  Nothing a few  :beer1: wouldn't have sorted.

As you yourself have pointed out in the title of the thread it was basically self-inflicted (albeit unintentionally), whereas other people in there may have been there through no fault of their own.  At the end of the day, you might have had to wait a little longer than you would have liked for someone to say "Your lucky, your not seriously injured".  Had you been seriously injured you would have been stretchered away from Burbage North and seen rather more promptly.

Quit your moaning  :spank:

I fractured my heel three days before returning from font and hobbled round for those days, and drank lots of beer (which kind of compounded the difficulty I was having hobbling around, but there).  Got back late Saturday and Minor Injuries at Hallamshire had closed at 20.00 and there was no way I was going to sit at NG A&E on a Saturday evening, so I just waited another day till Sunday morning, still had to wait to be seen but was very grateful for the assistance I received.

The point is that you should feel lucky that you haven't broken anything, and that you've been given the all clear by professionals.  You could have come off a lot worse.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:56:17 pm by slack---line, Reason: added lack of intention to injur oneself »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#26 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 12:42:48 pm
That you could've!

On times like this I like to remind people of the unfortunate case of Nicholas Peplo (longtime skivvy in Pete's Eats and now Gardener @ The Caban, Brynrefail) who fell off The Barrel Traverse:  feet 6" off the deck!  And broke his wrist rather badly.  Gave up bouldering . . .   Fucking wad he was too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#27 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 01:03:31 pm
This wasn't a case of lack of resources just shit management.

Maybe they didn't have the resources to provide management as they were all allocated to helping those injured people they have to attend to who fall off rocks etc.  :lol:

Besides, chatting to a member of an ambulance crew is perhaps not the most comprehensive source for how busy a department that they visit intermittently is?

You walked (or hobbled) in, and whilst the timeline isn't clear it sounds as though you waited a few hours to go to the hospital maybe.  Whilst you may have been in discomfort you can't have been that bad.  Nothing a few  :beer1: wouldn't have sorted.

As you yourself have pointed out in the title of the thread it was basically self-inflicted (albeit unintentionally), whereas other people in there may have been there through no fault of their own.  At the end of the day, you might have had to wait a little longer than you would have liked for someone to say "Your lucky, your not seriously injured".  Had you been seriously injured you would have been stretchered away from Burbage North and seen rather more promptly.

Quit your moaning  :spank:

I fractured my heel three days before returning from font and hobbled round for those days, and drank lots of beer (which kind of compounded the difficulty I was having hobbling around, but there).  Got back late Saturday and Minor Injuries at Hallamshire had closed at 20.00 and there was no way I was going to sit at NG A&E on a Saturday evening, so I just waited another day till Sunday morning, still had to wait to be seen but was very grateful for the assistance I received.

The point is that you should feel lucky that you haven't broken anything, and that you've been given the all clear by professionals.  You could have come off a lot worse.

indeed

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 13, 2008, 06:21:26 pm
Poor Sloper, you muppet  ::). Weren't you, Butters, and I discussing gritstone highballs, landing, and danger in the pub a while back??

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago - was warming up on the Curse or the thing next to it, decided not to arse around with the mats as it's only VS, spranged off halfway up, landed on a rock and minorly mashed the connecting tissue along the bottom of my foot. Funnily enough didn't affect climbing much (tight shoes holding it in place), but made walking painful for a month.

Errrr....no useful advice or anything, just thought I'd share  :-*

leek_lad

#29 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 16, 2008, 09:41:36 pm
I've discovered that falling form the top of the Curse at Burbage North onto a 'virtual' bouldering mat hurts.

Anyway diagnosis is that there may be a couple of minor fractures to metatarsals but the majority of the damage is soft tissue injury.

So the big question is, did I fall off a VS or a VO-?  No seriously anyone got any ips for rehab and recovery?

Have a read about Cissus quadrangulus. Its a plant extract, been used for years in some parts of the world. Some studies have been done on its ability to speed the healing of bones. There are suggestions that it may be useful in the healing of soft tissue injuries.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#30 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 16, 2008, 10:17:25 pm
Have a read about Cissus quadrangulus. Its a plant extract, been used for years in some parts of the world. Some studies have been done on its ability to speed the healing of bones. There are suggestions that it may be useful in the healing of soft tissue injuries.

Comfrey or 'knitbone' as it is also known does exactly the same thing - been in use for years and in it's Wikipedia entry it adds that in "past times comfrey baths were popular to repair the hymen and thus 'restore virginity'."

Sometimes I am amazed by what you can learn from the Wiki!!

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 17, 2008, 08:10:20 am
I thought that was just something out of Harry Potter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal