UKBouldering.com

Injured like a twat part deux. (Read 7742 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Injured like a twat part deux.
April 06, 2008, 12:27:53 pm
I've discovered that falling form the top of the Curse at Burbage North onto a 'virtual' bouldering mat hurts.

Anyway diagnosis is that there may be a couple of minor fractures to metatarsals but the majority of the damage is soft tissue injury.

So the big question is, did I fall off a VS or a VO-?  No seriously anyone got any ips for rehab and recovery?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 06, 2008, 12:30:57 pm
Since you were injured it was a VS.
Rehab etc depends on what the fractures are I'm afraid.  Are you in plaster?

Kingy

• forum hero
#2 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 06, 2008, 12:42:45 pm
Back luck Sloper, that sucks but I am sure you will be well on the road to recovery soon. I would give that thing VS for sure dude. At least u didn't sprain/ break your ankle or worse.

I have got a funny strain in the back of my upper left thigh. Physio reckons it might be the sciatic nerve being pinched somehow by a pretty bad lower back strain I had 2 weeks ago topping out on a boulder by reaching down too far. Either a facet joint or minor disc rupture - somehow this has repercussions further down the leg. Frustrating as my lower back has got much better now. It kind of makes walking for more than 10 mins pretty painful and I have to sit down as the back of my left thigh just seizes up. Drivings not much fun either.   

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 06, 2008, 01:29:42 pm
bad luck slopes...

time for a real bouldering pad??

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 06, 2008, 04:53:17 pm
I've got one, it was abandoned (well left with a friend of my brother's partner) in France when the Alfa blew up

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 08:38:23 am
Could of waited another 2 mins for me to turn up with three fine proprietry branded mats instead of the glorified settee cushion you landed on.

Sloper

• forum hero
#6 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 10:16:14 am
Ahh I now know who you are.

Indeed, but then I would have had to actually climb something harder than VS, which we all know is impossible.

Injury, it's the latest excuse don't you know?  Stop whingeing about conditions. sweaty holds and the like and hurl oneself off the top of a highball problem, result, instant 'hardman' status.

PS the brusiing has come up nicely, I'll post a photo later.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#7 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 10:32:10 am

Injury, it's the latest excuse don't you know?

You and Simon should get together some time as you both seem to be spending similar amounts of time not climbing due to injury at the minute...  ;)

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 10:36:15 am
Bad luck T. I would definitely get an X ray, just to make sure you haven't "done a Beckham"

(by which I don't mean got selection of crap haircuts, some stupid tattoos and married an annoying stick insect with sunglasses)

Sloper

• forum hero
#9 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 11:04:43 am
I had x-rays on Saturday evening and the conclusion was if there are any fractures they'r e minor and don't need 'potting up'.

Incidentally A&E at Calow hospital in Chesterfield is SHIT.  You have to wait for an hour or so to be seen by a Dr who then says 'fuck me, you know what you should have an x-ray before I can tell if you've broken owt, off you go mate'. 

Now, it would be totally unreasonable to expect an initial assessment on arrival with referral for x-ray AT THE SAME TIME.  What a load of  :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 11:21:18 am

Is that where Fatdoc works :lol:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#11 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 12:24:57 pm
Incidentally A&E at Calow hospital in Chesterfield is SHIT.  You have to wait for an hour or so to be seen by a Dr who then says 'fuck me, you know what you should have an x-ray before I can tell if you've broken owt, off you go mate'. 

I'd recommend the Royal Hallamshire. They weren't exactly quick (I was waiting for about an hour an a half for my mate), but they did a damn good job. They got an x-ray immediately, and then they relocated my mate's ankle as the bone had twisted through about 45 degrees. Then the got another x-ray to make sure it was properly located! Then they shipped us off (well, told us where to go) to the big one (Northern General?) for him to have the surgery.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 01:26:33 pm
I've found both the Northern and the Hallamshire to be very good. Especially compared to my recent experience at Darlington Memorial, now that was shit.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#13 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 07, 2008, 03:33:07 pm
I've found both the Northern and the Hallamshire to be very good. Especially compared to my recent experience at Darlington Memorial, now that was shit.

The clue's in the name surely?

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 08, 2008, 07:29:07 pm
The clue's in people who tell me that my hand isn't broken when it clearly f*cking is, after they asked my g/f to pee into a cup to check if she's pregnant even when it was that time, and thirdly retro-fit a neck brace on her after sending her to pee in that cup in a cubicle down the hall unattended....she could barely stand and had told them it was a head on collision on a d/cw. Oh and who seem to have missed something damn important on the original x-rays and who couldn't get a wireless telemetry machine to work, check the battery next time  :wank:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 08, 2008, 07:32:12 pm
So you wouldn't recommend it as a first port of call?
To be honest, that sort of fuck up happens in many (most?) A&Es at some time.  You may have just been unlucky and seen someone incompetent?

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 01:34:50 am
yes probably... however i've been subjected to daft things at various hospitals one of the most painful of which was the nurse who re-fitted the thera band on my leg just after the fixator had been fitted. She pulled it back well past my foot then just let it crack back pulling my foot a long way back and my pins to their full range of motion for the 1st time. I wasn't polite.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#17 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 07:51:13 am
I wasn't polite.

Sounds like you were very restrained, I doubt polite would have come into it :lol:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#18 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 08:29:23 am
I had x-rays on Saturday evening and the conclusion was if there are any fractures they'r e minor and don't need 'potting up'.

Now, it would be totally unreasonable to expect an initial assessment on arrival with referral for x-ray AT THE SAME TIME.  What a load of  :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank: :wank:

NO it's not shit. The triage nurse, who performs this type of assesssment was busy, too busy to see you coz at the time there was a desperately Ill patient in the dept, with 8 drs attending. This should have been conveyed to you I admitt, quite frankly you dont die of a sore foot slopes.....

You go to A&E on a saturday evening, you wait.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 09:58:32 am

Should have waited a few hours and gone at 05.00 on a Sunday morning.  Northern General was pretty damn quiet last time I went there at that time, and it was around xmas.

Found the Hallamshire Minor Injuries very good when I got back from Font one year and had fractured my calcanium (well they gave me crutches and booked me for appointments at NG fracture clinic, not much else they could have done for that though).  NG was also very good when I fractured my scapula (and when I went back two days later and was told that my finger was still swollen as I'd chipped a phalanx, the pain in my shoulder/back had masked it!).

Personally I never expect instant (or even particularly rapid) treatment when I walk into A&E, mainly because, well I walked in.  Fortunately I've never had to be stretchered in.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#20 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 10:10:18 am

Or we could bite the bullet and all pay a bit more tax and national insuarance and treat our doctors and nurses better and have more staff and resources in A&E...

sorted

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#21 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 10:11:17 am

Should have waited a few hours and gone at 05.00 on a Sunday morning.  Northern General was pretty damn quiet last time I went there at that time, and it was around xmas.

Found the Hallamshire Minor Injuries very good when I got back from Font one year and had fractured my calcanium (well they gave me crutches and booked me for appointments at NG fracture clinic, not much else they could have done for that though).  NG was also very good when I fractured my scapula (and when I went back two days later and was told that my finger was still swollen as I'd chipped a phalanx, the pain in my shoulder/back had masked it!).

Personally I never expect instant (or even particularly rapid) treatment when I walk into A&E, mainly because, well I walked in.  Fortunately I've never had to be stretchered in.

exactly.

Having been stretchered in on more than 1 occasion, and having hobbled / limped in to an A&E about a dozen times I can tell you now I'd wait till the next day for a sore foot if it meant someone didnt bleed to death.

If you want more resources put 1p on income tax... there just aint enough cash in the pot.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#22 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 10:48:26 am
Or bring back Britains' sons and daughters from Iraq and put the cash saved into the Health Service.  Britain is more than rich enough to have a better Health Service than Cuba - but Britain chooses to squander its wealth instead.

Sloper

• forum hero
#23 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 11:38:48 am

NO it's not shit. The triage nurse, who performs this type of assesssment was busy, too busy to see you coz at the time there was a desperately Ill patient in the dept, with 8 drs attending. This should have been conveyed to you I admitt, quite frankly you dont die of a sore foot slopes.....

Sorry that's not the case, they simply don't do triage for walk-ins at Chesterfield A&E and secondly the Nurse in the 'see and treat' (who after an hour or so would conduct an initial review) area wasn't allowed to refer for x-rays. This was made explicitly clear by the Jnr Doctor who saw me.

I know A&E can be busy Saturday but on my arrival it bloody wasn't (and yes I do know what was happening around the back because I had a chat with a member of Ambulance crew).

This wasn't a case of lack of resources just shit management.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#24 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 11:43:06 am
bullshit, i've beejn triaged there many times... you're wrong. All a&E have triage for walk ins, it's mandatory.

Unless somones dying round the back that is.....

By the way

I work there

you got beef

make a compliant

you're pissing me off

get a better pad

and get your facts right

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 12:31:46 pm

Maybe they didn't have the resources to provide management as they were all allocated to helping those injured people they have to attend to who fall off rocks etc.  :lol:

Besides, chatting to a member of an ambulance crew is perhaps not the most comprehensive source for how busy a department that they visit intermittently is?

You walked (or hobbled) in, and whilst the timeline isn't clear it sounds as though you waited a few hours to go to the hospital maybe.  Whilst you may have been in discomfort you can't have been that bad.  Nothing a few  :beer1: wouldn't have sorted.

As you yourself have pointed out in the title of the thread it was basically self-inflicted (albeit unintentionally), whereas other people in there may have been there through no fault of their own.  At the end of the day, you might have had to wait a little longer than you would have liked for someone to say "Your lucky, your not seriously injured".  Had you been seriously injured you would have been stretchered away from Burbage North and seen rather more promptly.

Quit your moaning  :spank:

I fractured my heel three days before returning from font and hobbled round for those days, and drank lots of beer (which kind of compounded the difficulty I was having hobbling around, but there).  Got back late Saturday and Minor Injuries at Hallamshire had closed at 20.00 and there was no way I was going to sit at NG A&E on a Saturday evening, so I just waited another day till Sunday morning, still had to wait to be seen but was very grateful for the assistance I received.

The point is that you should feel lucky that you haven't broken anything, and that you've been given the all clear by professionals.  You could have come off a lot worse.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:56:17 pm by slack---line, Reason: added lack of intention to injur oneself »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#26 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 12:42:48 pm
That you could've!

On times like this I like to remind people of the unfortunate case of Nicholas Peplo (longtime skivvy in Pete's Eats and now Gardener @ The Caban, Brynrefail) who fell off The Barrel Traverse:  feet 6" off the deck!  And broke his wrist rather badly.  Gave up bouldering . . .   Fucking wad he was too.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#27 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 09, 2008, 01:03:31 pm

Maybe they didn't have the resources to provide management as they were all allocated to helping those injured people they have to attend to who fall off rocks etc.  :lol:

Besides, chatting to a member of an ambulance crew is perhaps not the most comprehensive source for how busy a department that they visit intermittently is?

You walked (or hobbled) in, and whilst the timeline isn't clear it sounds as though you waited a few hours to go to the hospital maybe.  Whilst you may have been in discomfort you can't have been that bad.  Nothing a few  :beer1: wouldn't have sorted.

As you yourself have pointed out in the title of the thread it was basically self-inflicted (albeit unintentionally), whereas other people in there may have been there through no fault of their own.  At the end of the day, you might have had to wait a little longer than you would have liked for someone to say "Your lucky, your not seriously injured".  Had you been seriously injured you would have been stretchered away from Burbage North and seen rather more promptly.

Quit your moaning  :spank:

I fractured my heel three days before returning from font and hobbled round for those days, and drank lots of beer (which kind of compounded the difficulty I was having hobbling around, but there).  Got back late Saturday and Minor Injuries at Hallamshire had closed at 20.00 and there was no way I was going to sit at NG A&E on a Saturday evening, so I just waited another day till Sunday morning, still had to wait to be seen but was very grateful for the assistance I received.

The point is that you should feel lucky that you haven't broken anything, and that you've been given the all clear by professionals.  You could have come off a lot worse.

indeed

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#28 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 13, 2008, 06:21:26 pm
Poor Sloper, you muppet  ::). Weren't you, Butters, and I discussing gritstone highballs, landing, and danger in the pub a while back??

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago - was warming up on the Curse or the thing next to it, decided not to arse around with the mats as it's only VS, spranged off halfway up, landed on a rock and minorly mashed the connecting tissue along the bottom of my foot. Funnily enough didn't affect climbing much (tight shoes holding it in place), but made walking painful for a month.

Errrr....no useful advice or anything, just thought I'd share  :-*

leek_lad

#29 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 16, 2008, 09:41:36 pm
I've discovered that falling form the top of the Curse at Burbage North onto a 'virtual' bouldering mat hurts.

Anyway diagnosis is that there may be a couple of minor fractures to metatarsals but the majority of the damage is soft tissue injury.

So the big question is, did I fall off a VS or a VO-?  No seriously anyone got any ips for rehab and recovery?

Have a read about Cissus quadrangulus. Its a plant extract, been used for years in some parts of the world. Some studies have been done on its ability to speed the healing of bones. There are suggestions that it may be useful in the healing of soft tissue injuries.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#30 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 16, 2008, 10:17:25 pm
Have a read about Cissus quadrangulus. Its a plant extract, been used for years in some parts of the world. Some studies have been done on its ability to speed the healing of bones. There are suggestions that it may be useful in the healing of soft tissue injuries.

Comfrey or 'knitbone' as it is also known does exactly the same thing - been in use for years and in it's Wikipedia entry it adds that in "past times comfrey baths were popular to repair the hymen and thus 'restore virginity'."

Sometimes I am amazed by what you can learn from the Wiki!!

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#31 Re: Injured like a twat part deux.
April 17, 2008, 08:10:20 am
I thought that was just something out of Harry Potter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal