UKBouldering.com

New Climbing Art Online Now! (Read 3360 times)

sugamonkey

• Paintings by Shelley Hocknell Zentner
New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 05, 2008, 06:04:49 pm
I have new oil paintings inspired by bouldering in Hueco Tanks, online now at http://www.shelleyhocknell.blogspot.com
and my website: www.shelleyhocknell.com

Buy Originals from $49.99, and prints from $30.00

I'm a British artist, and I now live with my husband in the USA. I made a career in the UK painting rock climbers, and had my own gallery in Wales until 2005. I sold up to travel, went on a climbing/painting road trip through Canada and America, met Taylor and decided to stay. I have a studio in Tahoe, and I sell my art through galleries and other events. Last year I started doing a painting a day, after finding some inspiring artists doing the same thing on the web. I now paint a little oil on panel (almost) every day, and sell it online. I'm selling these paintings at a fraction of the price they would sell for in a gallery, so they're a bargain for collectors, and a fun motivator for me.

Read an article in the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) magazine, Summit http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=2480
And L'Escalade: http://www.escalademag.com/...id=813&Itemid=41

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 05, 2008, 08:07:15 pm
Did you do that painting of Jerry on something that features in Stonelove, it might even be on the back cover, some slopey 7c thing?

sugamonkey

#2 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 05, 2008, 08:34:17 pm
I might have done something similar..I can't remember..I did hundreds of paintings of climbers over the years, and some of the older ones when I was just starting out were inspired by other people's photos - like a lot of artists. When I got more experienced (and confident) I took my own pictures, and now I work from a combination of sketches and photos.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 05, 2008, 08:46:49 pm
Shouldn't this be in the Business thread?   :whistle:

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 05, 2008, 10:02:15 pm
I might have done something similar..I can't remember..I did hundreds of paintings of climbers over the years, and some of the older ones when I was just starting out were inspired by other people's photos - like a lot of artists. When I got more experienced (and confident) I took my own pictures, and now I work from a combination of sketches and photos.

It was at the NEC or NIA i can't remember which is which (the one on the canal) at birmingham for Climb XX......

sugamonkey

#5 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 03:50:39 am
Ah yes, I know the painting now - it was a semi-abstract mixed media on canvas piece. Yes, I was exhibiting at the NIA for the Festival of Climbing in 2000. Bit of a stressful disaster really, but I did meet a lot of cool people who liked my work and visited my gallery in Wales afterwards - so it was worth it in the end.  :great:

sugamonkey

#6 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 03:53:14 am
There's a business thread? oops, thought I was in the right place - music, art and culture! I stand corrected my friend :guilty:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 11:30:23 am

Is there a business thread? Anyway, don't worry about it sugamonkey...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 11:36:06 am
Sarcasm radars down globally?  Sheesh   ::)

sugamonkey

#9 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 05:53:49 pm
Ah...I've missed your acid wit my friend... :pissed:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: New Climbing Art Online Now!
April 06, 2008, 06:49:36 pm
Not as much as I'm missing the complete lack of wine in the house, Mrs Monkey  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal