UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Piccies (Part V) (Read 608915 times)

chappers

• forum hero
All, especially carnage and philo: thanks for all the great shots, but please could you guys spread them out over a few different posts? 5ish per post would seem reasonable. We don't all have industrial strength connections, and this page of the thread (with 58 photos, 43 in one post!) now takes an annoyingly long time to load.
Cheers.

:agree:

what a pain loading this page, takes about 3 minutes

and...you just made me load it up again thinking there might be some nice shots of fontainbleau!     :P

dave

I would maybe ask that people think before posting dozens on photos on the same post (think "do people really need to see all these, or would I be better posing just half a dozen of the very best ones") and also if you do want to post a lot of photos please put no more than 2 or 3 in each post, that way there will be less photos per forum page, i.e. people on slower connections can spread the load a bit.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
We don't all have industrial strength connections, and this page of the thread (with 58 photos, 43 in one post!) now takes an annoyingly long time to load.

1 post with 43 photos or 8 posts with five pictures and one with three would still take the same amount of time to load.

The only thing that would reduce the amount of time for a given page of a thread to load would be more posts without pictures interspersed between those with pictures.  Breaking up a post with lots of pics into smaller chunks would result in the sections rotating onto the next page quicker as more posts are made, but since this tends to be for pics, the newer posts will contain pics too.

If you set your browser up properly it should cache the pictures after having loaded them once, then when you visit it again, your browser pulls the pics from your cache (i.e. local hard-drive) rather than downloading them again.  Check out the help pages or google how to do this in the browser that you use.

Duma

• forum hero
slack - but each page is a certain amount of posts - so splitting them up would mean less pics on each page - so quicker page loads.

If you set up your browser properly it'll automatically clear the cache everytime you shut it down  :P ;)

dave

We don't all have industrial strength connections, and this page of the thread (with 58 photos, 43 in one post!) now takes an annoyingly long time to load.

1 post with 43 photos or 8 posts with five pictures and one with three would still take the same amount of time to load.

each page of a forum contains 20 posts. if someone posts 43 images in one post then that still leaves 19 posts on that page that probably a substantial number of will also contain photos. if someone posts 43 photos over 8 posts then that only leaves 12 more posts, thus per forum page (which if what you are leading one at a time) will on average contain less posts and be quicker to load.

Plus this would have the added benefit of being more of a ballache for users to post multiple images, thus you're more likely to stop and think and then only post the best ones - especially if its a sequence of a dozen photos all 1/3 of a second apart of the same person on the same problem from the same angle for example (this is the problem with Adobe Lightroom, its too easy for people to churn-out every photo they take en masse!).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
slack - but each page is a certain amount of posts - so splitting them up would mean less pics on each page - so quicker page loads.

each page of a forum contains 20 posts. if someone posts 43 images in one thread then that still leaves 19 posts on that page that probably a substantial number of will also contain photos. if someone posts 43 photos over 8 posts then that only leaves 12 more posts, thus per forum page (which if what you are leading one at a time) will on average contain less posts and be quicker to load.

Err, yes, thats kind of what I was getting at with...

Breaking up a post with lots of pics into smaller chunks would result in the sections rotating onto the next page quicker as more posts are made, but since this tends to be for pics, the newer posts will contain pics too.

I hadn't explicitly gone on to state that the average number of pics per page would then drop though.

Perhaps worth reminding peeps of the UKBouldering Flickr group where their pics could be added.

If you set up your browser properly it'll automatically clear the cache everytime you shut it down  :P ;)

:-\ if your on a slow connection then it would (to my mind at least) be sensible to maximise your usage of cache to avoid having to download graphics time and time again (even the smileys will take up bandwidth).  This is after all the whole point of cache  :shrug:  (unless of course its a work computer and you don't want your employers to know that you've been looking a Dead Fit Birds who Climb  :P)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
we were using the undercuts to the right etc and squeeeeeeze with your heel and toe on
that's because you are not idiots. i don't know why but i got stuck with going along the left rail without the undercuts. oh, well it was fun...
can't wait to get back!!! your photo assault made me hungry!!!
This was how it was first done and given 8b I think. There used to be a vid of someone on bleau.info doing it like this.

philo

• forum hero
your lucky i changed them from 3000x2000 to 800x 600  :whistle:

ill try spread them out next time but if i upload photos online i normally do it all in one go? ill just post them in sections

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Personally I like it when someone puts up a couple, but then adds a link to the rest of them. I believe Nibs is quite good for doing this.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
for putting up a load of pictures I find it best to put a link up to a flash based image viewer like simpleviewer.
Its proper bo

like dis

http://www.aspe07.dsl.pipex.com/photos/magicwood/
http://www.aspe07.dsl.pipex.com/photos/magicwood2007/

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Sorry about that - I was hoping that mine would start a new page and I was only out by 2 posts. Because these were spread over a couple of contacts it would have meant a posting up few links so I kinda thought easier to put them all in one place. I'll be more prudent in what I put up in future.

On the subject of flickr links I must draw your attention to Derek 'the Dispatcher' Thatchers photostream - Many amazing NZ shots that can't be posted due to his privacy settings. Check em!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/derekthatcher/

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
that samson project looks well good

dave

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
wrong thread for that

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Some Angel Bay action from last week...

Myself on HP Direct V3

Esther concentrating

Rich on Manchester Dogs V11

Andy on Bridey Arete SDS V5

tc

• junky

I fell off right there in August 1979  :boohoo:
It was just after the wheel had been invented if I remember correctly

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
do your ankles still hurt? ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Legend, me too though a mere 6 years ago. The only time I managed to get there was on a pissed up go at midnight, same night as Dyer managed to drink a full can of King Cobra whilst on the namesake problem. All the torches shining up threw the slab into shadow and I flapped about blindly looking for the hold before falling off and bruising my heel. Spotters weren't so attentive as these!

tc

• junky
It's a long way down

tc

• junky

We had no mats. Or spotters, in the strict sense of the term. I landed on Largo. He's a big guy, luckily

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
This is such a nice photo. Amazing vista, great moment, I feel inspired.

Korni on Memento, 8C/+

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Korni on Memento, 8C/+

On first name terms now he's in the haloed 8c club. Did you add him on facebook too?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Korni on Memento, 8C/+

On first name terms now he's in the haloed 8c club. Did you add him on facebook too?

When you reach big numbers you get invited to a special online social network. It's kind of like facebook but instead of just randomly browsing for fit under age girls you just partake in sycophantic banter with the other beasts...

ps. I should add that I have stolen James' log in details which is why I have access. No one is safe from ID theft!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
he's in the haloed 8c club.

This club?

or this one?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal