UKBouldering.com

Anyone read any good comics recently? (Read 61555 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Beware taking on too much thrill power at once largers...  ;)

My latest foray in TPB's is this:

Ed Brubakers "Criminal" series. Only read the first and have got the second one to read once I am finished with the Dawes biography but seems like a fine bit of noir writing so far.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
someone at work just suggested I read chew, he has not been brilliant at recommendations before.
Anyone else read it? Is it any good?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chew_(comics)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Saw this linked from Crossed and thought it might be worth a look. Enjoying it so far.....

http://www.freakangels.com/

Another post apocalyptic Britain story but with an interesting twist.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Actually, having read a bit more, it's really good......

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Saw this linked from Crossed and thought it might be worth a look. Enjoying it so far.....

http://www.freakangels.com/

Another post apocalyptic Britain story but with an interesting twist.

old man Matt recommended it on the previous page. It is very good

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Oh yeah, missed that!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#81 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
September 24, 2012, 01:12:00 pm
A comic with a message (about using tranexamic acid in trauma scenarios based on work from the CRASH2 study)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#82 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
September 24, 2012, 01:32:44 pm
I got a copy of Dance of the Gull Catchers, the epilogue to 'From Hell'. It caps off the book nicely with a pictorial essay on Alan Moore's research and his own personal perspective on the Whitechapel murders (he doesn't buy the William Gull/Sickert theory but used it as the basis for the book) and an essay by the artist (I'm at work so can't remember his name) on the cartoons and press coverage from the period.  There's also a massive'y detailed set of footnotes for the main novel itself.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#83 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
October 24, 2012, 08:59:37 am
not sure if has been mentioned before but I picked up crossed volume 1 from waterstones on saturday. Its extremely fucked up ... I loved it

This is a light easing into the fucked-up-ness

Duma

• forum hero
#84 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
October 24, 2012, 01:12:02 pm
on a slightly less brutal note, I like dylan meconis, family man (16th century germany, lots of lovely historical details and footnotes) and Dicebox is another favourite (beautifully drawn strange slow sci fi).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Last night I read kick ass 2 brilliant. Well written follows on from the first comic ignoring all the details the movie changed (as you would expect). Pretty messed up story with some brutal art work.
If you like the first book and or film definately give it a go. Also Kick ass 3 is about to start as a comic (may 2013) to complete the series

After slackers linked the android app. I have been reading Injustice: Gods Amoung us interesting premise. Its linked to a new game coming out.
Superman has turned. He got pushed over the edge. Superman demands a world wide ceasefire and enforces it. the story is currently 13 comics in (14 today) they are currently going though the back story of why superman turned.
Looks like it will be a superman and wonder woman (and JL?) v batman comic
Loving it so far and definately worth a read

crimp

yep kick ass 2 is brilliant. I don't think film will be much cop though.

Old standby. V for vendetta. Brilliant.

Are we including manga here?

crimp

If we are including manga, i find quick manga works a treat on my primitive Samsung android phone. Oh yes. Good as gold.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Anyone still following Crossed - Wish You Were Here? It's getting pretty intense!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I have not read the online suff other than bits and pieces I have the original book from before it was online. That was nicely fucked up. I was struggling to work out where to start.
If you like this sort of  stuff I would recommend other Ennis books preacher and the boys. Pretty fucked up but no where in the same league as crosseed for fucked-up-ness.

This reminds me:
I have been reading morning glories. set around 6 people all born on may the 4th who start at americas most exclusive prep school. They quickly find out its fucked up there. The kids parents are paid off to forget their kids if they dont comply they are murdered. The teachers kill the students if they fail an exam and there is a ghost ripping peoples heads off.
(i would link but dont want to search morning glory at work)
So far its been pretty interesting but I am not sure what is going on other than every seems completely fucked. Anyway I am enjoying the story develop

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Discovered they're collecting the entire Grendel run into 4 omnibus editions. Finished 1& 2 and very impressed! Previously I was aware only of Hunter Rose and Grendel Prime, but the Christine spar arc was really well paced. Its a sort of crimelord / horror / social commentary type thing.

Only thing I'm now realising is that I'm going to have to find a more secure place to store my comics until the kids are a hell of a lot older.

Young Logan needs a few more years growing until he can access the Wolverine back catalogue...  And then there's Gunsmith Cats!

The Joys of Fatherhood.

rich d

• forum hero
Anyone still following Crossed - Wish You Were Here? It's getting pretty intense!
getting my weekly fix still after the UKB heads up. Love it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
getting my weekly fix still after the UKB heads up. Love it.

I'm seriously disturbed.

By how much I look forward to Thursdays...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

If you like this sort of  stuff I would recommend other Ennis books preacher and the boys. Pretty fucked up but no where in the same league as crosseed for fucked-up-ness.

Thanks mate. Having basically devoured all the Crossed that's been written so far (I actually think WYWH is the best of it, but it's all good / totally sick) I've started reading Preacher and it looks good.

Dr T

• forum hero

Thanks mate. Having basically devoured all the Crossed that's been written so far (I actually think WYWH is the best of it, but it's all good / totally sick) I've started reading Preacher and it looks good.

Preacher  :thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You're not wrong. It's great.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Anyone used to like Tank Girl (before she was raped by Hollywood?). Saw pt 3 in local Waterstones and had a to get it. Not drawn by Jamie Hewlett anymore, in spite of him getting a billing on the cover (guess he's too busy drawing bands and hanging out with Damon Albarn) but new artists are doing a good job.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

I should give you about 1000 wad points for this recommendation. Preacher is the best comic I've ever read, by miles. It's also the most absorbing thing I've read in years.

I must admit that my knowledge of the genre is crap having read nothing since a load of 2000AD stuff (brilliant) as a teenager until recently but fuck me, what a story & what characters. Amazing.

Hilarious, heartbreaking, depressing, disgusting, life affirming, kick ass motherfucking brilliance. A Western with a twist. A Tarantino film that he wouldn't dare attempt to make.

Thanks mate.

Oh and I'm starting on The Boys now & already love the concept.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I have all the boys and preacher books if you want to borrow them that is unless you want to get copies to reread.

I have read preacher through 3 times and boys twice. Brilliant!
(btw there is this on IMBD http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316546/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2 but I think its wishful thinking of a game of thrones type HBO series)

Also I am ure you have seen the Kick ass film but the book is brilliant. Great art work and a really good story. The film follows it quite close but with a few changes. The second book is even better and the third one book is getting released in a 7 book series starting this week

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal