UKBouldering.com

Anyone read any good comics recently? (Read 61556 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
#150 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 29, 2016, 09:04:25 am
Do you like wine?

If so, try The Drops of God, by Tadashi Agi.

deacon

• addict
#151 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 29, 2016, 11:33:26 am
To be honest no. Sorry lol

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#152 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 29, 2016, 05:47:18 pm
What I have recommended previously.

Sandman - just because it is fabulous
Lucifer - spin off featuring Lucifer from Sandman that is at least the equal of Sandman if not better IMO
100 Bullets - really cool concept and the artwork is fantastic
The Boys - superheroes but definitely not in the usual way
Old 2000AD stuff - think Lagerstarfish is still subscribing to the weekly comic but I would be looking at Judge Dredd, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Slaine for starters - website here

There are loads more recommends on this thread alone so read back through and have a look really and feel free to ask - someone will probably have read it on here unless it is really obscure.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#153 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 29, 2016, 10:15:44 pm
Deacon,

are you wanting to read paper or screen? if you lack morals, various electronic versions of great comics can be stolen from artists via torrent sites etc.

Sandman is ace - I read it all on a tablet

Slaine, Nemesis and Halo Jones on paper would be my preference

(Bondage Fairies for a bit of variation)

Freakangels on screen - was all available free (legitimately) online

Crossed (and variations) wherever you can get it - as long as you can enjoy that sort of thing (it was awesome getting one episode at a time online)

I can't get into the Japanese stuff generally

there is no greater pleasure than reading through a boxful of 2000ad comics - maybe search for second hand collections - it's  very nice indeed being able to follow several story lines at once for days at a time

deacon

• addict
#154 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 30, 2016, 08:06:21 am
Cheers all for the recommendations, a few more to look at.
Lagers- I've tried reading them on a tablet but couldn't get into it so its paper all the way (although it is expensive as comics get read much quicker than 'proper' books).
Also if I read them online I wouldn't get to go to the comic book shop on The Wicker which is well cool. It's like a cathedral for nerds and the staff wear a Star Trek style uniform. I love it in there lol.
It seems you hardly save any money buying second hand online (for the stuff I've bought anyway) so I'm paying full price, but is there forums where you can buy stuff from each other cheap?
Google tends to bring up 100s of different forums.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#155 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 30, 2016, 08:16:13 am
Oxfam in Netheredge occasionally has some good stuff

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#156 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 30, 2016, 09:53:20 am
Oxfam in Netheredge occasionally has some good stuff

The one on West Street has a selection of comics usually, whether they're any good I've no idea.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#157 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 30, 2016, 09:59:51 am
Also if I read them online I wouldn't get to go to the comic book shop on The Wicker which is well cool. It's like a cathedral for nerds and the staff wear a Star Trek style uniform.

When I first moved to Sheffield in '88 I rented a room in the flat above the Comic Shop.  I think the curtains my Grandma made for me are still hanging in the window there - they were last time I drove past.  Can't believe it's nearly twenty years ago...

tomtom

• forum hero
#158 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 30, 2016, 12:25:30 pm
(Ahem... nearly 30 years ago FD...)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Lagers, and other aficionados…

Do you have any particular opening pages that you really like? The sort of thing that grabbed you so much you had to sit down and read the whole of the comic then and there?

I'm working on a kids comic style book about the space race and am on the lookout for some inspiration.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
 :off:
(Ahem... nearly 30 years ago FD...)

:slap:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

Do you have any particular opening pages that you really like? The sort of thing that grabbed you so much you had to sit down and read the whole of the comic then and there?

I don't think it quite works like that or at least it doesn't for me. While I do have favourite artists an artist is only one part of the collaboration and it is the sum of the parts that makes a comic what it is - great artwork may make something stand out and get you to buy it to see what it's like but if the story is rubbish then you probably aren't going to buy the next episode. Add to that the fact that art work is a very personal thing - I could look at something and be totally blown away from it but you could look at it and just not get what I see in it. Lastly the artwork has to work the story, you would have a hard time telling the story of the space race using an art style like Frank Millar uses in Sin City - as incredible as the huge slabs of monochrome with the very sparsely used splash of one single colour are to look at they don't really work in that scenario.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Sorry - I didn't explain what I meant that well. I'm thinking more about introductory pages that set the scene for that particular story, and probably more the shorter stories rather than novel length ones as the latter aren't trying to cram a lot into a handful of pages.

Like the one below - the introductory page style tends to use a full page pane, plus some background to the story, before breaking into multiple panes on the following page. That one is a pretty nice combination of big type, big punchy illustration and dialogue. But I imagine that fans might have particular favourites.

Style-wise, it's how I draw everything - I'm not looking to style it like someone else. It's more a case of hearing about some great layouts / approaches to type.

It started out with simple full spread illustrations, but the publisher had other ideas, hence trying it this way...

Yossarian

• forum hero
This is part of one of the early spreads...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
All seven episodes of the first season of Un Monde en Pièces have been translated to English.

http://english.un-monde-en-pieces.com/

Very very cool graphics. Cool use of static animations. Whomever did the translation didn't bother with the puns, but then again that would be almost impossible. There's a graphic or verbal pun in each panel. (The bishop is called “Fou” in French etc...)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#165 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 07, 2019, 11:17:26 am
If anyone wants the cult classic World Without End:

Paypal me a few fuck alls and I'll post them ASAP, rather than charity shop.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#166 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 08, 2019, 11:13:34 am
yes please  :2thumbsup:

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
#167 Re: Anyone read any good comics recently?
December 08, 2019, 11:10:13 pm
Nice to see this thread have some action. Been feeling a bit like I need a comics anonymous nowadays :

"I'm Mark, I'm 45, and a big fan of Saga, and the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
I'm currently trying to wean myself off with some old Wolverine TPB's"

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
While in danger of maintaining a vanity thread, I've just bought the first book of Monstress.
Thoroughly enjoying its sumptuous artwork and rather dark story, anybody else familiar?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal