UKBouldering.com

New Topic (Read 2149 times)

Three Nine

• forum hero
March 10, 2008, 11:50:56 am
on the suggestion of Houdini, I got a skipping rope.

Its absolutely brutal. I usually run at least every week and view myself as reasonably fit, but i cant do more than about a minute....

So Houdini, share with us your skipping routines...

Paz

• junky
#1 Re: New Topic
March 10, 2008, 04:33:24 pm
Glad to see you're getting in touch with your feminine side.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: New Topic
March 10, 2008, 05:25:40 pm
 And boxers are so feminine aren't they Paz  ::) :-*  The Cooper twins.

Great power/endurance training.

Ah . . .

Well the best advice I can give is to skip to metronomic music, jazz or bluegrass perhaps.  Nothing too fast to begin.  Start the cycle by jumping over the rope with ones feet together for maybe 6 jumps until you have estabished a rhythm.  When you have then alternate feet AKA skip.  If your rope is well adjusted you should not need to clear much ground.  3-4 centimeters, tops. 

You should be looking to achieve around 20 minutes per session.  Break this down into 2 minute sections:  2 minutes constant skipping.  1 or more minutes rest (take 2 swigs of water tops, no more as the jumping will make you feel sick w/ too much; thigh and calf stretch).  And on untill you've had 10 skip seshes.  This is a fair sesh for a beginner.  You should feel monstered after 20 minutes.

When you get good you can lengthen the seshes.  It's so much harder than you think to be able to skip for 20 minutes constantly (by constantly I mean that there's no resting after a mistake - water optional - just head back to it) it took me quite some time to get that good.  Not just w/ fitness but w/ concentration.  My best so far is c. 45 minutes of skipping heading back in after each fuck up and a mouthful of water.  A few times I've managed to push it up towards an hour w/ a few short rests and stretches in between; hard.

Watch out w/ your calves if you intend to go for it.  The impact is harder on your calves than anywhere and it's more than you would expect.  I would not recommend a hard sesh after a run or even the next day (especially if you want to run the day after that.)

Over time your grip will strengthen and you'll be able to go on longer.  It's the grip that is likely to fail if you are fully going for longer seshes.  Work out ways of changing grips as you skip (it's possible) start as you would expect then move to gripping between the index and middle fingers.   Begin by rotating from the shoulders and before fatiguing here revolve from the wrists.  This way you'll work more than your shoulders triceps forearms.  Skipping while tensing your abs is also a tough work-out.

When I'm going for ultimate endurance/failure I move through a variety of leg positions to avoid failing too soon.  I might even raise the knee 90° to my body; very hard.  All manner of slight foot shuffles till the calves are cunted and then on to more layed-back (literally) and pointed out toes w/ a straight but raised-leg stance.  That one is hard to put into words . . .

Obviously you are months/years away from this.

Beware.  When/if you get consumed by skipping, be careful.  Ultimately your bicep will wither and your triceps will get fucking stupidly honed and additional muscles will present themselves that you didn't know you had in that area.  Counter this w/ bicep curls & palms-in pull ups.  Later, when you get awesome at skipping you can get a rope w/ additional weights for the handles.

Skip on a smooth surface indoors if you can.  I skip on concrete which has more friction and makes it harder.   Any ripples will make the rope swerve and fuck you up.  I have a piece of lino now to use outside.  (I live in flats so it's unfair of me to skip indoors as the noise is mental w/ a metal rope.)

Good luck.

(PS - If you please me w/ your progress I'll get the frau make a quick movie of me at pull pelt, which I'll youtube for your amusement.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:31:26 pm by Houdini »

Paz

• junky
#3 Re: New Topic
March 10, 2008, 06:44:33 pm
And boxers are so feminine aren't they Paz 

Boxing women are, yeah.  Are you going to teach Mr 79 `Patty cake' and hopscotch too?  It'd give us all a good laugh at the crag.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: New Topic
March 10, 2008, 10:31:48 pm
It's hardly my fault you're weak and unfit Paz . . .  :whistle:

Paz

• junky
#5 Re: New Topic
March 11, 2008, 12:24:10 am
Yeah but with all this strength and fitness and skipping ability you say you've got, what've you actually achieved on the rock?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: New Topic
March 11, 2008, 08:48:30 am
Oooh, I did Cemetary Gates some years back...   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal