UKBouldering.com

Radio rather than music question (Read 4836 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Radio rather than music question
March 03, 2008, 06:28:20 pm
Perhaps this should just be in STS rather than music but....
I've got a roku soundbridge which is great, I can listen to all my music away from my computer without messing around with cd's and the like, hurrah. It also can connect to interweb radio, how amazing. Gee, whizz, gosh. But...

I can't get BBC radio on it. Now I'm partial to a spot of radio 4. Is there anyway of getting BBC radio programmes as a proper streamed internet radio or due to the unique way that the BBC is funded have they developed an expensive and dismally restrictive way of broadcasting via the internet?
I don't really want to have a seperate radio as it will unbalance my chi and turn my chakra angry puce instead of relaxed purple.
Over to you problems solvers...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 03, 2008, 06:35:22 pm
I think you need to get the correct web link, I had a quick stab on the HTPC and got it wrong so it didn't work. I managed to get the arrow no problem so thats pretty sweet.
I too am also partial to a bit of radio 4 and would like to know the correct stream address please

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 03, 2008, 07:33:31 pm
Had a bit more of a trawl round and it seems that bbc do stream there content but in real audio format which the Soundbridge can't play. I guess you need something that can convert the format on the fly and then fire it to the soundbridge or make the soundbridge speak real audio. Don't know how to do these things yet but will keep looking.
If you have a media thingy that can speak RA then the streams are:
BBC Radio 1
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio1/live/r1_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio 1xtra
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/1xtra/live/1xtra_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio 2
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio2/live/r2_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio 3
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio3/live/r3_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio 4 FM
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio 4 LW
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4lw_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Radio Five Live
rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/live/r5_tl_g2.ra

BBC Radio Five Live Sports Extra
rtsp://rmlive-acl.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive-acl/ev7/live24/radio5/sportsextra/live/r5sx_tl_g2.ra

BBC 6 Music
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra

BBC 7
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/bbc7/live/bbc7_dsat_g2.ra

BBC Asian Network
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/asiannetwork/live/asian_dsat_g2.ra

BBC World Service Live News
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/livenews_v8.ra

BBC World Service Information And Entertainment
rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ev7/live24/worldservice/liveinfent.ra

Anyone care to offer further assistance?

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 03, 2008, 09:19:40 pm
Had a bit more of a trawl round and it seems that bbc do stream there content but in real audio format which the Soundbridge can't play. I guess you need something that can convert the format on the fly and then fire it to the soundbridge or make the soundbridge speak real audio. Don't know how to do these things yet but will keep looking.

Anyone care to offer further assistance?
Best goddamn gadetry I ever done gone and bought. I had the same problem and was just taking a look at the Roku forums for an answer - just been down and tried this firmware upgrade and tested it- works like a dream with 6music and R4 - using the existing streams that weren't working previously. They are just ones that I picked off the supported ones in the Radio Snooper list when I sniffed the various listen live windows: http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15865
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:36:30 pm by underground, Reason: applied the firmware and it worked like a dream »

nik at work

• forum hero
#4 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 03, 2008, 10:30:53 pm
Yeah I got the upgrade also. But what is the radio snooper list?
Can you give me the streams you're using? I think my Roku can now play BBC radio but I couldn't get the streams (not helped by my interweb playing silly buggers...)

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 04, 2008, 07:50:08 am
Ignore my previous post. Got it all working (sort of) now. The problem is my currently intermitent internet connection rather than any roku related probs.
Why can't broadband be simple.....

underground

• forum hero
#6 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 04, 2008, 09:20:52 pm
Roku Radio Snooper is a downloadable utility that sniffs out the URL from any stream you happen to be playing at the time, and lets you set it as a preset or just play it on the soundbridge.

Easier still is to register with radioroku.com and use their searchable lists instead...

nik at work

• forum hero
#7 Re: Radio rather than music question
March 04, 2008, 09:48:09 pm
Yeah figured it out shortly after posting, the main problem was my internet connection wasn't working. Turns out my DSL filter had chucked its toys out of the pram.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal