UKBouldering.com

Eos 400d Random file storage (Read 3310 times)

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Eos 400d Random file storage
February 11, 2008, 06:58:58 pm
Here is one thats doing my nut in

When i take my photos and go to put them on my comuter, the camera or computer seems to just put them on randomly??????????

Any ideas how to get them off in te order they were taken?????

cheers

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 11, 2008, 08:52:47 pm
Here is one thats doing my nut in

When i take my photos and go to put them on my comuter, the camera or computer seems to just put them on randomly??????????

Any ideas how to get them off in te order they were taken?????

cheers

Its a wild guess, but if your camera uses SD cards (and this probably applies to other solid-state memory) it may be a design feature.

Solid-state memory has a limited read-write capacity.  By randomising the area that pictures are written to you preserve the life of your card by not continually writing to the start of the card.  When your moving pictures off, it may just start at the start of the device and go through to the end, so it appears that they are coming off in random order.

Just let it sit there and finish, then sort your folder by filename and they'll all be in chronological order.

This is of course pure speculation, and there may be some other feature of your card/OS/card-reader/camera that is causing this.

See this wikipedia article which mentioned the limited life of solid state devices.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 11, 2008, 08:54:04 pm
Check what you have your 400D is set to for file storage.  You can do continuous numbering, or numbering per session.  This may explain things.  Make sure you're on continuous.
Are you using Canon utility to download pics with?

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#3 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 12, 2008, 10:00:44 pm
Check what you have your 400D is set to for file storage.  You can do continuous numbering, or numbering per session.  This may explain things.  Make sure you're on continuous.
Are you using Canon utility to download pics with?

Yes i managed to suss out the file storage, some else mentioned that i should use the canon utility, nut with vista it does it all for you thats why i didnt put it on, maye i go try

cheers

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#4 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 12, 2008, 11:14:20 pm
Canon utility is handy in other respects too (eg rotates photos the right way up when saving etc)
Let us know what the result is.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#5 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 13, 2008, 09:50:15 am
Canon utility is handy in other respects too (eg rotates photos the right way up when saving etc)
Let us know what the result is.

Sorted, just set the file storage to continuous

Everything works on the vista system, no need for extra software, it even rotates them all without asking

cheers guys

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#6 Re: Eos 400d Random file storage
February 13, 2008, 01:10:52 pm
Cool, glad to be of help.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal