UKBouldering.com

Fine wine thread (Read 138260 times)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#275 Re: Fine wine thread
January 12, 2009, 03:39:03 pm
Just a quick heads up tesco are selling off A Masi Amarone 2003 (Good year, good producer) in their bin end sale at £20 something a bottle if you buy six, good deal. plus it will improve for ten years, well cellared.

Which shop, do I have to drive over the snake again?
No Slopes you've done quite enough heroic travelling for the winos on this site ;)
Its available on-line in the tesco bin ends sale, its a case of 6 and they only deliver 12s so I got some good chianti as well

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#276 Re: Fine wine thread
January 22, 2009, 06:17:28 pm
Christ boys have you seen the En Primeur prices for the 2007 Rhone. Thalabert at 6 for £105 IB. Taking the piss.

On a seperate note never, ever, ever try any BC red wine, had a bottle from a winery in Salmon Arms, it was a blend of Merlot, Pinot Noir and something called Foch (which turns out to be a small sheep poo sized red grape suited to short ripening seasons). The smell was atrocious. We left half of it. Which tells you all that you need to know.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#277 Re: Fine wine thread
January 22, 2009, 07:17:23 pm
No, I haven't got mine through yet and just having lost at lot of monthly billing wil be reigning in a bit, perhaps with the economy this is one year where en primeur might be a losing bid, what with the recession the same wine might be cheaper in a few years?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#278 Re: Fine wine thread
February 17, 2009, 06:14:23 pm
Who saw the programme about BBR last night. Just watched it on i-player. Oh God I chose the wrong path / parents.
I thought the Scottish ex-formula one guy was brill and must track down his wines.

IS2

• addict
#279 Re: Fine wine thread
February 17, 2009, 09:21:22 pm
Graeme what is this BC wine ... is it very very old ... no wonder it is shit, 2009 years sat doing nothing !! Even a good Burgundy starts to go a bit iffy after 50 years or so..... unless it is a really good bottle !!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#280 Re: Fine wine thread
February 17, 2009, 11:02:52 pm
Ha ha. Very good.

BC = British Columbia

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#281 Re: Fine wine thread
February 18, 2009, 06:05:45 pm
Who saw the programme about BBR last night. Just watched it on i-player. Oh God I chose the wrong path / parents.
I thought the Scottish ex-formula one guy was brill and must track down his wines.

indeed, i admired his commitment, wines are here > http://www.bbr.com/producer-1291-david-clark

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#282 Re: Fine wine thread
February 18, 2009, 07:12:12 pm
Thanks soapy I tracked him down too. Unfortunately I bought a new car today so my wallet has gone into deeeeeeeeep hibernation (weeeell for a bit). The Gamay pinot blend looks intriguing.
So we'll see.

Sloper

• forum hero
#283 Re: Fine wine thread
February 18, 2009, 08:12:33 pm
Are wetalking something along the lines of paster......?  If so I've had mixed experiences, any aprticular recommendations would be welcome.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#284 Re: Fine wine thread
February 18, 2009, 08:17:02 pm
Are wetalking something along the lines of paster......?  If so I've had mixed experiences, any aprticular recommendations would be welcome.
Yeah that's exactly what Clark is producing. I've never had it so if the wallet ever struggles back to the surface I'd be up for a case.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#285 Re: Fine wine thread
February 19, 2009, 07:51:55 am
if you were going to take a punt then his '05 passetoutgrains would give a reasonable chance of enjoyment

tesco tip of the week: couly dutheil '05 chinon at seven quid

Dolly

• forum hero
#286 Re: Fine wine thread
February 26, 2009, 11:12:55 am
Got a mail shot from The Wine Society saying that 2007 Burgundy is now available for offers.
Does this mean that I pay the price listed, or that is a minimum payment which may increase ? I know it may appear a daft question, but doesn't make complete sense on their site.
Graeme, Simon, Joe help please

Sloper

• forum hero
#287 Re: Fine wine thread
February 26, 2009, 11:28:32 am
The price is fixed but of course you have to pay VAT and duty at the prevailing rate when delivered from the bonded wharehouse.  Personally I think that despite the quality of the 07 vintage the prices are substantially unstable and likely to come down as the economic woe deepens.  I will probably only be buying a case of 'the introduction to red burgundy' and some Chorey-lès-Beaune, Domaine Tollot-Beaut which is utterly fantastic and a wine I've followed for years.

I don't know why but I can't see anything from Bruno Colin or Bruno Clair.....

PS I still owe you a bot, I'lll drop it around next time I go to the works.

Dolly

• forum hero
#289 Re: Fine wine thread
February 26, 2009, 12:01:48 pm
PS I still owe you a bot, I'lll drop it around next time I go to the works.
Cheers - I left the basket from the freezer there for you.

as explained
Cheers - I didn't see that.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#290 Re: Fine wine thread
February 26, 2009, 07:23:52 pm
Got a mail shot from The Wine Society saying that 2007 Burgundy is now available for offers.
Does this mean that I pay the price listed, or that is a minimum payment which may increase ? I know it may appear a daft question, but doesn't make complete sense on their site.
Graeme, Simon, Joe help please

Remember that with the WS you pay the Duty (about £1.50 a bottle) and the VAT when they get delivery rather than when you actually get it delivered. Most merchants keep it In Bond until you ask for it then you pay the VAT & Duty.

Me and Joe just ordered a few 1/2 cases of St Aubin plus a bit of the Passoutgrains stuff that Joe mentions earlier in the thread - got the latter from BBR.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#291 Re: Fine wine thread
April 09, 2009, 06:19:11 pm
Some interesting sub £5 French reds on offer at Morrisons at the mo. The Bordeaux (prestige de Calvet) and St Chinian are fine enough but the Corbiere better still especially after a good breathe. Not tried the Ventoux or Tricastin yet. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#292 Re: Fine wine thread
September 19, 2009, 09:20:07 am
Need to breath some life into this thread.

Lacking the moral fibre to try the local Kazakh tipple I had some lovely Estate bottle Georgian wine last night.  C Sauv which is not my preference but still light years better than the Moldovan toilet cleaner I chored thru last week (demidulce/semi-sweet too, what a gaff ...)  Felt particularly bad handing over the equivalent of 8 euros as everyone in the queue ahead looked fucking destitute as they scraped together coppers for a packed of fags and nasty vodka ...

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#293 Re: Fine wine thread
September 19, 2009, 10:16:12 am

Funnily enough my thoughts exactly (great minds... fools seldom...)
Tesco have half price on Promenade des Papes, Plan De Dieu, cotes de Rhone Village. £4.99.
This is the first '07 Rhone I've had, and if its typical (its meant to have been a stonking year) just buy anything with rhone and '07 on it.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#294 Re: Fine wine thread
September 19, 2009, 10:49:08 am
not 2007, a ridiculous 2003

houd's comment is sobering

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#295 Re: Fine wine thread
September 20, 2009, 01:02:35 pm
anything with rhone and '07 on it.

Will do, spotted some 07 earlier.  Rhones rule.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#296 Re: Fine wine thread
September 21, 2009, 09:05:48 pm

Lacking the moral fibre to try the local Kazakh tipple I had some lovely Estate bottle Georgian wine last night.  C Sauv which is not my preference but still light years better than the Moldovan toilet cleaner I chored thru last week (demidulce/semi-sweet too, what a gaff ...)  Felt particularly bad handing over the equivalent of 8 euros as everyone in the queue ahead looked fucking destitute as they scraped together coppers for a packed of fags and nasty vodka ...

Waitrose had some Georgian stuff a while back, and I thought it was pretty reasonable.

I have been investigating primitivo of late. Decided that Donna Marzia was my favourite and bought a few cases.  Potent stuff that certainly keeps the wolf from the door.

If anyone's into white burgundies - I've continued to be impressed with various takes on the new(ish) Vire-Clesse appellation. The Louis Latour one is really good and amazing value.

I went a bit berserk and ordered a selection of some just released late 70s and early 80s 1ier cru santenay magnums from BBR a while back - report to follow.

And tried some amazing rieslings at the fortnums wine bar (retail plus £10, so quite a bargain if you're in town and feeling thirsty) which I went on to buy some bottles of.  I can't remember who the producers were though, and my cellar stairs are a bit steep this time of night...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#297 Re: Fine wine thread
October 19, 2009, 06:38:12 am
I too like the Marzia primitivo.

Recommendations for Crozes-Hermitage please.

Sloper

• forum hero
#298 Re: Fine wine thread
October 19, 2009, 08:09:44 am
Just back from a large ish tasting (read family holiday with sick child) in Sardinia and can recommend Casa Finca and a bunch of other stuff which I can't remember, except one had a large 50 in red on the label and another had something ending in ssel.

In short everything over 10 euro was rather good.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#299 Re: Fine wine thread
October 19, 2009, 09:47:51 am
I too like the Marzia primitivo.

Recommendations for Crozes-Hermitage please.
Jaboulet Domaine Thalbert, but I don't think you'll like the price Houd.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal