UKBouldering.com

Start Sit Start (Read 9367 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 01:52:24 pm
Where are your feet allowed/not allowed? Ru mention the foot ramp which is not allowed and staff guide says not to use the slab on the right.

So for the first move where do your feet start?

I start matched on the flake, with both feet on the rock/ramp left of the arete- should I be eliminating those feet and starting hanging with a high left toe/heal.

I would prefer comments from people who have actually done it, rather than people who haven`t.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 03:56:03 pm
I assume you mean Stall?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#2 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 04:00:40 pm
if it's stall you're on about the people i know who've done it used the rock/ramp left of the arete. i apologise for never having tried it, but my orbital sockets work just as well when i'm watching something being done ;)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 04:35:40 pm
Oops yes i mean stall- was in a bit of a rush

Cheers for the info both of you.

Only said the bit about people who had done it as previously I have gotten lots comments from people with little/no knowledge of the actual problems in question.

Thanks again

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 06:37:32 pm

So for the first move where do your feet start?

not on the ramp. i haven't done it.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#5 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 07:16:26 pm
Cofe's on the money.  The whole ramp is out.  I haven't done it either.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Start Sit Start
February 02, 2008, 08:17:40 pm
Ramp is out, all else is in. I use left hand on flake hold and right on a really wide pinch at the base of the arete itself. I also have my bum on the deck but my right foot up on the foothold that you use to start the stand up, feels really awkward at first but all comes in as soon as you start to pull on. Look at me, I have done it.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Start Sit Start
February 03, 2008, 08:54:51 am
Cheers for the info

Still a worthy sit start using the ramp left of the arete. Not 7c though

Andy: Ru says you should start with both hands on the flake, would that make the way you start it tricky? I had my feet out left to enable me to pull on matching the flake (when trying it without the ramp).

Ahh the joys of eliminate sit starts!

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Start Sit Start
February 03, 2008, 09:43:56 am
As above - the whole ramp is out. I started matched on the flake to the left, this probably isn't important, but it adds a move and a foot shuffle. As long as you start on your arse and finish at the top without using the ramp, it's a tick.

AndiT

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Start Sit Start
February 03, 2008, 10:45:06 am
As long as you start on your arse and finish at the top without using the ramp, it's a tick.

Amen to that.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#10 Re: Start Sit Start
February 04, 2008, 02:45:42 pm
When me and Ollie Ryall were trying the sitter as a project many years ago we both agreed it would start from matching on the low flake, to encompass the full line. It does add a little extra, but not massively so, and since first doing it in full I now start with the flake with left hand and pinching the base of the arete with right hand. I wouldn't begrudge a tick if anyone else started as such (unless its a flash and he / she is a miserable sod).

Great problem none the less. I take it this is on your ticklist Dave?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Start Sit Start
February 04, 2008, 07:40:36 pm
When me and Ollie Ryall were trying the sitter as a project many years ago we both agreed it would start from matching on the low flake, to encompass the full line.

It was Ollie that first showed me the problem and it was he that suggested the matched-flake start - hence the guide description.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: Start Sit Start
February 04, 2008, 09:24:28 pm
Sure is- to be honest I thought I did it on Sunday, but used the ramp left of the arete, so I was wrong- did feel far too easy. Certainly harder than the stand up mind.   

I bet a fare few people have done it with the ramp and claimed the tick.

Will be back soon to try again- although fin sitter needs to be done 1st!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#13 Re: Start Sit Start
February 04, 2008, 09:30:13 pm
Fink sitter is good too(felt harder then Stall sitter to me though). When doing Stall sitter I worked out some good beta for the top bit - use your left foot on the good foothold on the RH side of the arete, sounds odd but it made the top bit feel loads steadier for me.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#14 Re: Start Sit Start
February 04, 2008, 09:50:18 pm
use your left foot on the good foothold on the RH side of the arete, sounds odd but it made the top bit feel loads steadier for me.

Someone mentioned your method for doing this, and I fooking loved it! Seems so illogical, but makes the top move feel so sweet - good find!

Agreed, Fink sitter is class, one of the best problems I did last year. But harder than Stall sitter? Mmmmm, not sure about that one, but certainly a good full grade harder than Fin SS, even though Ru's guide gave Fin and Fink SS both 7b.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 08:19:46 am
 Well maybe not harder, just more brutal. I thought the hard move (I had to roar) was harder than any of the moves on Stall sitter, but Stall is still probably harder to link together. Fink sitter felt 7b+ to me and Fin sitter felt like hard 7a+

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 01:19:01 pm
Got the fink sitter last week- good honest pulling on positive crimps. Powerful, but little technical nonsense. Still to do the fin sitter - 7a+ mmmm - depends on your height in my opinion- I am at absolute full extension on the first move to the pinch with the left hand (bit conditions dependant)

Will try the strange stall foot- although it is the first move that is the trouble for me- I have the upper section pretty well wired- even had snow on the good upper bit of the arete the other day and managed to avoid it.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 01:31:26 pm
Don't remember Fin sitter being reachy. I'm not tall by any definition. I do remember it being much harder if you climb it bang up the middle (doesn't Sean Myles do it this hard way on an old climbing vid, maybe Stick It?)rather than using slopers and heal hooks on the left as most people do.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 02:23:07 pm
On the left?

I reach up with my left hand to to grab the open hand pinch on the bottom of the arete(reachy/powerful for me), then work my right heel upon the front face, then get my left toe on the starting left hand hold, drop to the sidepull sloper with the right hand, then go again with the right hand to the obvious hold on the arete, then either go straight up with the left hand to pinch the arete (or use the pocket round left first, then again up with the left)- then the usual standup finish.

Think this is the same way as Moon vid on moon.com

Give me easier sequences if I am missing something- seems quite powerful and certainly more insecure than the fink sitter.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#19 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 02:32:18 pm
Just watched the moon vid. Yeah, that's the hard way. Can't exactly remember the easy beta but it uses the big sloper out left at the bottom of the obvious crack. I think there might be pic of Sam doing it this way near the front of Ru's guide

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 05:52:02 pm
There is a picture of Sam on it, but it doesn`t really give a clue to how he got into that position. Look forward to checking it out next time I get a chance.

Do like it the way I was trying though- propper prow hugging on slpoers.

Eddies

• forum hero
#21 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 06:03:49 pm
That pics up at the Works, a great shot.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 06:34:53 pm
I graded the Fin sitter for the harder method, I wasn't aware of the easier way at the time.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 06:44:42 pm
That pics up at the Works, a great shot

That's this one.

(how does this right foot work then lovejoy?

I think they're on about this one:

Here's another for good measure:

Good crag.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#24 Re: Start Sit Start
February 05, 2008, 10:11:11 pm
I graded the Fin sitter for the harder method, I wasn't aware of the easier way at the time.

There has always been an 'easiest' line for this problem from sitter, and does use more positive slopers around and left of the pinch. This is probably about right at 7a+, with the pinch eliminate at 7b as per your guide. I think originally the pinch was the hold to use, as per Myles / Moon vids, but more frequently people are obviously taking the line of least resistance.

I've always suggested that The Fin and The Fink sitters are a good example of classic 7b problems which at the extreme end of the same grade.

As for Stall sitter, originally thought 7c+ (but that was using my own duff beta  :oops:) though bottom end 7c from the match would be fair.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal