UKBouldering.com

Eating before / after training?? (Read 4613 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 10:47:45 am
Here's the deal: I go training down the wall fairly regularly, and usually have decent sessions. Diet-wise, I eat a "reasonably" balanced diet and I'm not bothered about the specifics (nor about controversial dietary supplements, you two...).

What I am wondering, in a vague sort of way, is what the best eating schedule is around an evening wall session??

I try to eat a decent lunch, then have a very light snack before the wall. Afterwards....well ideally I'd get some pasta and protein down me....but these days it tends to be a pint of the Sheaf View's finest. I don't really feel bad after that, but I'm sure it's not the best option. On the other hand I have a friend who often chows down an early dinner just before the wall session....I'm not sure if that is the best idea either.

Knowledge??

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 10:55:10 am
Strewth Fiend, there are already two topics overlapping and dealing w/ nutrition going on right now.  Must we confuse and overlap further?

Just a question.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 10:57:40 am
I need to eat during a training session. Dunno if i have a fast metabolism, but I definitely feel a bit hungry and weak about an hour or so in, and need to snack on something; normally a snack bar, some dried fruit or a jaffa cake or twenty. Decent (ish) meal soon after.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 11:46:23 am
Soz Houdinizzle... This isn't a creatine topic though. Just a general "timing" one I guess.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 12:18:57 pm
It's no great shakes Feind just a bit of a chore swapping between different threads to read the same shi . . . zzzzz.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 03:56:49 pm
ideally a small amount of carbs about an hour before...

afterwards carb and protein... which can be split further into different types of protein.  Can't really comment on the beer as I havent a clue.
I wouldn't particularly like to climb after eating my main meal of the day...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#6 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 31, 2008, 04:21:44 pm
Yeah. Type of food makes sense to me for sure.

Isn't there some general recommendation that you shouldn't do vigorous exercise within an hour of eating a meal??

Eddies

• forum hero
#7 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 12:27:02 pm
Id like to drag this one back out of the archives as its something im keen to get sorted this year. (a proper diet on my training days)

I like fiend try to get a half decent lunch down me like a J-spud but I dont like to eat before a session and tend to have big late meal afterwards around 21:30 -22:00. Not too good I know!

Have any of you found a meal routine that works better? Any ideas for snacks/light meals that can be pre made or whipped up quick before a session?

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#8 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 12:38:59 pm
Make a tune pasta dish type thing (not much help to vegans) with some veg before you go, and eat it within twenty mins of finishing your routine.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 12:44:52 pm
Make a tune pasta dish type thing (not much help to vegans) with some veg before you go, and eat it within twenty mins of finishing your routine.

Must it be tunes, or can you use any menthol based throat lozenge?

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#10 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 12:53:46 pm

:lol:
Erm, bit of a typo there. meant to say tuna

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 02:48:59 pm
Id like to drag this one back out of the archives as its something im keen to get sorted this year. (a proper diet on my training days)

...and tend to have big late meal afterwards around 21:30 -22:00. Not too good I know!

Why do you think this is bad?  There was a recent article on BBC News site that debunked common folklore around such medical myths as this (I'm assuming you believe that eating before going to bed is bad as you aren't active and therefore not metabolising whilst lying down).

Can't find the article at the moment as DNS is down here at work and I'm posting from a text-based browser at home, but have a search on BBC News (their write-up is based on SCIENCE), unless of course you've another reason for not liking eating late.

slack

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 03:12:36 pm
I think its very dependant on what you eat when... e.g. carbs right before sleep not such a good idea, slow digesting cassein protein very good idea... etc.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#13 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 03:14:46 pm

Or if you're lazy

Comes with a free fork. Packaged in a protective atmosphere. Can be stored at room temperature.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#14 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 03:23:21 pm
I have spent the last 6+ months eating instead of climbing/training. I don't reccommend it.

Eddies

• forum hero
#15 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 04:37:13 pm

...and tend to have big late meal afterwards around 21:30 -22:00. Not too good I know!

Why do you think this is bad?  There was a recent article on BBC News site that debunked common folklore around such medical myths as this (I'm assuming you believe that eating before going to bed is bad as you aren't active and therefore not metabolising whilst lying down).

Can't find the article at the moment as DNS is down here at work and I'm posting from a text-based browser at home, but have a search on BBC News (their write-up is based on SCIENCE), unless of course you've another reason for not liking eating late.

slack

Yes, i do tend to eat quite large evening meals, this needs to change as ive recently had alot of probs with my bowels (Ulcerated Colitis) so have to change my diet to iclude frequent small meals instead of hitting my bowles with big meals.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#16 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 04:51:33 pm
I'm a dirty vegan so I use SIS rego straight after training then have a 'proper' meal ie. vege, carbs protein when I get home. If your not a fan of sports mixes & not a vege/vegan a simple chicken or tuna sarnie on white bread will do. Cheap, simple & effective, then have a decent balanced meal when you get home. If you don't go mad on the portion size I wouldn't worry to much about eating late, personally I have a bit of a food OCD, but have never worried about eating late, just give yourself an hour or so before hitting the sack. As for before I eat something light & simple about an hour before like peanut butter on brown bread. I also drink regularly & take fruit with me in case I get peckish when training.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#17 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 05, 2009, 10:32:36 pm
I try to take one of those protein shakes to drink straight after a training session. Then i zap a frozen meal (one i've cooked at weekend and stored) soon as i get back.

As for before a session, I tend to eat more for breakfast and a lighter lunch on a climbing day. If i do the opposite i climb like someone who works in telesales

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#18 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 06, 2009, 09:02:01 pm
I have taken to eating a boiled egg or two after training. Perhaps the Sheaf sells pickled eggs to go with your pint ?   

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 06, 2009, 09:12:49 pm
i took the habit of having two small bowls of yoghurt with cereals half an hour before going to the gym. it works i think.

Eddies

• forum hero
#20 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 06, 2009, 10:38:00 pm
I put my new diet into action today. Ate nomally today, had a bowl of cereal 1.5hrs before I climbed, had a good session and felt strong then had a recovery shake straight afterwards and scrambled eggs and bacon on toast as soon as i got back around 21:30 and having a glass of milk now before i hit the sack.
I feel good for it and not bloated or full at all.

Im looking for the ultimate pasta/salad to take out on my w/end sessions now  :-\

Welsh Steel

#21 Re: Eating before / after training??
January 07, 2009, 04:03:51 pm
I like a nice carbo lunch, Nairns oatcakes with Nutella for during, quick three egg omlette for after.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal