UKBouldering.com

Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period? (Read 8235 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 12:46:53 am
Firstly sorry for whoring myself over on UKC with a double post...

I'm injured so I decided to join a gym and do some weights instead, VA seemed like a good bet because its right next to the works so when my girlfriend goes to climb she can drop me off and it makes life nice and easy. I joined on Sunday, I was pretty impressed to be honest as it had a lot of free weight equipment that my previous gym didn't (i've done two previous weight phases)...
I went tonight and the place was awful, you couldn't get near a bench let alone the specific bench press setup. Rubbish, and not much use as i'm GOING to be using it when she's climbing. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is likely to be a cooling off period on the month by month contract? I don't have a copy of the terms and conditions and only really concentrated on what needs to be done to cancel month by month.

silly I know  :spank:

Thanks in advance.
Paul

dave

#1 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 11:53:22 am
with a lot of things you have got a 7 day period of grace (or is that just on internet shopping?). try and check it out, or phone consumerdirect.

p.s. could you not just use the weights in the schoolroom that you've already paid membership to?  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 12:17:48 pm
Could see if there is anything on their website, if not then contact them directly to ask.

Dude

• addict
#3 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 12:21:04 pm
Not much good if your tied to a specific time, but go after 8.00 and you'll have your run of the place!

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 12:52:20 pm
with a lot of things you have got a 7 day period of grace (or is that just on internet shopping?). try and check it out, or phone consumerdirect.

p.s. could you not just use the weights in the schoolroom that you've already paid membership to?  :-\

I could but not to the same effect, everything is pretty wrecked anyway, there are only a few bar ends, none for the EZ curl bar etc. its hard to make two dumbells that are the same weight and identical, the list goes on.

Cooling off is 7 day but its void if you use it at all in that period, even if you can't get on anything. I'm typing this from the cafe area on the cantilever computer stands that wobble with every key stroke.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 12:52:56 pm
Not much good if your tied to a specific time, but go after 8.00 and you'll have your run of the place!

it was after 8

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#6 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 01:02:51 pm
I'm typing this from the cafe area on the cantilever computer stands that wobble with every key stroke.

You can always entertain people on the climbing wall by looking up rude pics on the Dead Fit Birds Who Go Climbing thread using the 'puters next to the glass wall. They might pay you to leave then.

Dude

• addict
#7 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 03:12:27 pm

it was after 8

Differs form my experience fella, I head down after 8.00 2 evenings a week, and I've never had a problem getting a bench, let alone the other equipment.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 03:37:32 pm
well they reckoned it was just freakishly busy, I wouldn't have had problems getting on the Aerobic Stuff or a lot of the machines but thats not what I went for. The freeweights section seems to get busy quite easily.

I was pleasantly surprised today by the knowledge of the lady trainer that gave me an induction, she was pretty good and didn't try and force some generic 3x10 program on the machines onto me. I'll give it to the next cancellation period (I havent got much choice) then i'll reconsider which gym.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#9 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 03:43:47 pm
well they reckoned it was just freakishly busy,

could it be the January effect? New years resolutions, feeling fat after xmas, etc...all lead to gyms/climbing wall and the like being busier than usual in January

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#10 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 03:59:44 pm
I was pleasantly surprised today by the....lady trainer that gave me an induction, she was pretty

:thumbsup:

* tee hee hee, swigger *

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 04:02:27 pm
I expected use of the strike through format on that one!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#12 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 04:05:56 pm
* tee hee hee, snigger * ?

Fatleg

• addict
#13 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 05:11:57 pm
I went through a phase of going to Virgin when I was recovering from injury when you first opened. It was always stupidly busy on Monday and to some extent Tuesday but then eased off as the week went on. However the free weights area was always pretty busy, full of steroid users puffing away. I decided to buy some weights for home and cancelled my membership as soon as I could.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
January 30, 2008, 05:17:26 pm
i did think about putting a proper bench in the flat but I think that would go down as well as my "balcony board"...truly terrifying.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#15 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
February 01, 2008, 12:16:06 pm
Ay up Paul,
Me and my lady have been members of the Virgin Active Gym for a year or so, compared to before Christmas it is alot busier at the moment, Gym instructors call this the "brand new heavies" effect. ie. all the people who feel guilty about over indulging over xmas and have made new years resolutions join up and for the first couple of weeks god loads and then after that not at all. So it will defo quieten down.

Unfortunately I don't get there very often (which is a shame as like you say it's dead good but not cheap!) but am always keen so maybe see you there.

Stick with it, it will get better!
Gus

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
February 01, 2008, 12:49:05 pm
Cheers Gus, drop me a pm if your heading down. I'll be there for a month at least now...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#17 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
February 01, 2008, 06:17:59 pm
no one will kick chalk in your face after a month arnold

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
February 01, 2008, 06:34:29 pm
Paul_   Get on Amazon & buy that book!!  Confessions of an Unlikely B/ builder. 

It's just perfect for your needs.  ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#19 Re: Virgin Active - Cooling Off Period?
February 02, 2008, 04:02:25 pm
read that one houdini, good book

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal