UKBouldering.com

Wanted: Snowboarding boits (Read 3783 times)

dave

Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 25, 2008, 02:27:28 pm
Heads up I've got a friend in prison who upon his upcoming parole will be going snowboarding, and is looking at buying some boots instead of hiring em if he can get some cheap enough to make financial sense.

So if you've got any saleable snowboard boots going that would fit a UK size 10 with reasonably wide feet holler at me. His shorty is also reaching the end of a stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure so ditto the above if you've got any biatch's boots at size 7. Specifically anyone in sheffield/striking distance thereof cos they'll want me to try on the boots on their behalf first. ;)

Holler at me thug.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 25, 2008, 03:19:25 pm

Have you looked at renting them? can be a cheaper option...

dave

#2 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 25, 2008, 03:24:34 pm
aye, i he may end up doing that (he'll be renting boards anyway) but if some could be had at the right price it could be as cheap, especially factored over any future trips too. plus its always nice to have summert to show for your money at the end rather than fresh air.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 25, 2008, 07:22:20 pm
In my opinion you should either rent or buy new (ideally last seasons):

Renting: Boots are new that season, you'll get a good idea what fits you, opportunity to swap if they are the wrong size/shape for you. You'll soon get to know what brand suit you.

Buy new over here: You'll be able to pick up last years boots as little as £60, I agreed it is nice to have your own boots, and comfy boots make a joyful boarding experience.

I wouldn't bother buying second hand, most boots shape to your foot pretty quickly certainly within a week. (and get pretty sweaty too, mmm)

Get yourself up to Robin Hoods http://www.roho.co.uk/snowboard/snowboarding_offers.html for more snowboarding gear than you can shake a stick at, much of which is discounted.

Personally I've always rated Salomon boards and boots, but also like Burton stuff.

Be warned, don't be tempted to save a few quid and buying a second hand pair that don't fit. I know more than one person who has had a holiday ruined by poor fitting boots (and being too cheap to invest/hire in different ones!)

When and where are you going Dave?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 25, 2008, 07:40:18 pm

I think some places let you rent and then buy that pair at a reduced price if you get on well with the boots. Can't remember any names/numbers though i'm afraid.

As Obi-Wan says, don't be tempted to get something that doesn't fit. Badly fitting snowboard boots will put you in a world of pain.

dave

#5 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 26, 2008, 09:59:20 am
When and where are you going Dave?

march, chamonix.

will have a look at that site, good knowledge.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#6 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 26, 2008, 01:46:16 pm
Rememeber you have to pay for the boots on the plane (£15?) so it is normally cheaper to hire them

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 26, 2008, 09:23:25 pm
Jim, very few websites actually charge for carrying boots, especially snowboard boots. Dave listen to Toby, he talks the truth. I wouldn't buy second hand without knowing that they fit well and their age/ history. Snowboard boots pad out and mould to the user's foot quite a lot, so second hand ones rarely give a good fit and often lose a lot of their insulation as they get older.

dave

#8 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 26, 2008, 10:29:46 pm
Rememeber you have to pay for the boots on the plane (£15?) so it is normally cheaper to hire them

why would you have to pay for them on the plane? shirley they would just go in your baggage?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: Wanted: Snowboarding boits
January 27, 2008, 06:35:33 am
was thinking of ski boots

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix