UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166740 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Have had Blackberry's for ages but so many things just don't work properly.
Any recommendations for something Android but with a keyboard ?

iain

• forum abuser
Answering a question you didn't ask but have you tried a swiping keyboard? They are worth trying, make touchscreen keyboards usable.

Swype, Swiftkey, SlideIT seems to be the best, swype was included on my Samsung.

Dolly

• forum hero
I have but only a quick play. I wasn't convinced it was easier or faster, but maybe its one of those things you need to get used to ?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've got used to it, and I'm most definitely a fat handed twat. Wouldn't go back to a phone with a keyboard or buttons now.

iain

• forum abuser
Practice helps, it's probably as fast now as using my laptop keyboard, (although maybe that says more about my touch typing)

I wouldn't go back to a keyboard now either, although I'm not fat handed ...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I use swype, and like it, but if you are the kind of renegade who might, say, attempt to text one-handed whilst driving, it doesn't work. Probably a good thing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If you've an up to date version of android they now include a swiping input method. I've ditched swore in favour of it for various subtle reasons (accuracy, easier punctuation access etc.).

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I've ditched swore in favour of it for various subtle reasons (accuracy, easier punctuation access etc.).
Oh the irony.  :clap2:

tomtom

• forum hero
#208 Mobile phone recommendations please...
August 09, 2013, 10:00:42 am
I've ditched swore in favour of it for various subtle reasons (accuracy, easier punctuation access etc.).

:D

underground

• forum hero
I use my Blackberry solely for writing emails on the train. Hate it. I think they used a baby's thumbprint to design the keys.

And (Jasper will love this) my iPhone 5's power button is fucked after 10 months. They'll give me a new one of course but it makes me wonder.... Does Android have airplay?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

:slap: there will of course always be the weak link in any interface.... The user!

tomtom

• forum hero
#211 Mobile phone recommendations please...
August 10, 2013, 09:09:02 am
I use my Blackberry solely for writing emails on the train. Hate it. I think they used a baby's thumbprint to design the keys.

And (Jasper will love this) my iPhone 5's power button is fucked after 10 months. They'll give me a new one of course but it makes me wonder.... Does Android have airplay?

MrsTT got her wonky power button fixed for £15 a few months back... IFern repairs are cheap as chips (as there are so many about and only 3 models for the repair people to stock parts for)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Plumped for a HTC One Mini, so far, so good. Very easy to use, slick in every department.

tomtom

• forum hero
If anyone is after a very good sim free Android phone now or in the next couple of months (contracts due etc..) the Google Nexus 4 has just dropped in price from £239 to £159.... its a bargain.. (IMHO)

(googling nexus 4 finds you the google phone funnily enough! - make sure you get it from Google)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Clocked that this morning and cursed under my breath as I purchased one for my wife a week ago.

Fortunately she likes it though so the cost is now irreverent.

I'd get one myself if it a) had a microSD slot; b) had an exchangeable battery.  Perhaps the price has been dropped due to a newer Nexus device being imminent (they did recently spruce up the Nexus 7, but didn't add these features to them so not holding my breath).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Clocked that this morning and cursed under my breath as I purchased one for my wife a week ago.

Fortunately I just found out that there is a 15 day price guarantee on devices purchased direct from Google.  :2thumbsup:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I bought mine 2 months ago :( so no discount.

but respect to google where it is due. I remember TTT got money or play store vouchers after they dropped the price of the nexus 7 so I can hope they will do the same

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
No I didn't!

I just got a very swift replacement after my Nexus 7 developed a weird line on the screen...was pretty gutting to see the price drop when I had to "buy" my replacement through the store.

Agree with Slackers re: the Nexus 4 - if I could plug an SD in I'd have already put my order in. As it goes it's probably for the best as I'd only leave it in a taxi after a few sherberts.

psychomansam

• forum hero
http://www.minideal.net/lenovo-s750-gorilla-water-proof-ip67-android-4-2-quad-core-1-2ghz-dual-sim-4-5-inch-qhd.html

Was looking at one of those for my next, as I want a phone that won't get ruined by water for once. Anyone here imported?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I'd be a bit wary as most Lenovo phones I've seen have some pretty dodgy reviews. Made for the Chinese market with apps and screens that you can't translate properly. Build quality not great etc etc.

Haven't ever seen one myself but the reviews are enough to put me off, especially when you can now get a Nexus 4 for the same price!

Why not just get a waterproof case?

psychomansam

• forum hero
Can get the s750 pre-rooted with no chinese apps.
Seen no bad reviews of this phone - or of any other lenovo phones actually, so feel free to point me in that direction - could be helpful.
Waterproof cases are generally bulky and shit. I might use one occasionally, but you're not going to keep it on all the time, which is what I'm looking for.

Also, nexus 4's look highly breakable.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah I can't find any reviews of that phone at all which again worries me. The ones I saw previously were customer reviews on Amazon (for different models). I admit some said "it's not a Samsung or an iPhone but it does work" but that's still not particularly inspiring.

Sony Xperia? Supposed to be decent and they do waterproof models.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Its pretty easy not to get your phone soaking wet though isn't it?

psychomansam

• forum hero
A sony experia would cost £100-£200 more.
If people buy a lenovo and complain it's not a samsung they should be shot. The Lenovo is doubtless better build quality than my last (Acer) phone and if it's IP67 rating, it's probably better than most.
Also, loads of people buy these phones with stock chinese ROM's on and then complain about it. Dicks. Buy it pre-flashed (as I would) or plan+learn to do it yourself.

i once spilt water over the pocket with the phone in.
The most recent once got a bit damp while in a 'waterproof' pocket of a rab jacket during a scottish winter day and just slowly died from there.
I've never actually submerged a phone, but by the time you've gone swimming a couple of times a week, and had it in the locker near damp kit, answered a call while you're doing the dishes or have just showered and your hands aren't 100% dry etc, have taken it in a not-so-dry bag whilst hill-walking, have been caught out in the rain climbing...

I think the vast majority of smartphones die either from smashed screen or damp. I tend to manage to look after the screen better than most (apparently - never smashed one), but damp is a pretty hard thing to avoid in the UK when you need to use the phone constantly and spend a lot of time getting wet.

In the past few weeks I've hill walked, scrambled, rock climbed, bouldered, fell-ran, mountain biked, canoed and swum - and every one of those involves the potential for damp.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

I think the vast majority of smartphones die either from smashed screen...

Amen to that - in the last couple of months a very high percentage of the guys I work with have come in with their screens smashed, to the point where it's becoming a bit of a running joke. I feel really sorry for the guy with the brand new Galaxy Note II who totally destroyed his screen after having it less than a week!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal