UKBouldering.com

Mobile phone recommendations please... (Read 166730 times)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Good suggestions re the battery guys, worth considering but with the seed planted I'm fancying a new phone now

nik at work

• forum hero
Does anybody know anythign about dual sim phones?
I currently have a HTC Wildfire (I know stone-age...) and I actually quite like it, it seems to do everything I want it to (facebook, twitter, email, phone, navigation and can run spotify) and is pretty small. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a phone weenie. So ideally I'm after something similar-ish with two extra features:
1 - (Lots?) More internal memory, the biig failing of my current phone is the constant low memory warnings
2 - Dual SIM option, or at least I pressume this is what I want?? I'll probably have a contract SIM for living in the Isle of Man but will also want to have a PAYG SIM for my regular trips to the UK. The idea of swapping SIM's over without losing them is the stuff of fantasy in my life...

Oh and ideally pretty cheap, I'm guessing in terms of modern tech my requirements aren't going to be that exacting so hoping for a reasonable price. No idea of budget because I don't have the first idea what phones cost. Final thing I do not want an iFern even if that's an option, I find the bloody things infuriatingly un-useable (sorry fanboi's)

Any knowledge?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I am due an upgrade but not sure what to get
Currently got a wildfire which I have had for over two years and it is slow.

I am wanting a phone mainly for texting and calling. I will use it for browsing and twitter a bit and maybe the odd photo. Not really sure I want a samsung as they are getting a bit like Golf's (everyone has one).
Would probably use as a sat nav / maps so definately not an Iphone
I never bothered putting music on my current phone as I never really used it properly.

I looked at the nexus 4 and it looks amazing but its 6months old now. Anyone used one?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
1 - (Lots?) More internal memory, the biig failing of my current phone is the constant low memory warnings

Yes, this, thanks for reminding me of another reason to upgrade rather than refresh

tomtom

• forum hero

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

Yes, this, thanks for reminding me of another reason to upgrade rather than refresh

Having a fairly small memory on mine this is an annoyance too. However it's worth noting a lot of the time this is due to a couple of Android bugs:

1. Try clearing the cache from the Google Play store, reboot (or google for similar). I often get 'insufficient space' warnings when there is clearly plenty.

2. Have a close look at your emails. I recently discovered 2500 emails in my trash folder, wasting loads of space. No option to delete them on my phone (I thought I already had), so I deleted the account and started afresh.

Unlimited space would be nice but it is a nice incentive not to fill my phone with drivel.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I currently have a HTC Wildfire (I know stone-age...) and I actually quite like it, it seems to do everything I want it to (facebook, twitter, email, phone, navigation and can run spotify) and is pretty small. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a phone weenie. So ideally I'm after something similar-ish with two extra features:

The lack of memory is the main reason I got pissed off with, and binned my Wildfire. Even if you put in a bigger micro SD card there are loads of apps that it woon't let you move over to the card. That plus it was damned slow, cracked screen etc. I ended up upgrading to Samsung SIII Mini for not much more, and has better memory, better camera, better screen, etc without being much bigger. No dual SIM mind....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I looked at the nexus 4 and it looks amazing but its 6months old now. Anyone used one?

Still a good phone, there are rumours of the Nexus 5 so you might want to wait for that, and grab a Nexus 4 at a bargain price. I think my next phone will be off contract and probably a Nexus, I like the idea of not being tied to a 24 month refresh cycle. I want to buy a new phone when I want and sell it whilst it still has a decent value.

If anyone is still on an older Android model and suffering from memory issues, check you have moved all you can to the SD card with AppMgr, delete all your caches, and check the size of your contacts. Mine old HTC desire had the memory leak bug on the address book so it grew to massive proportions, annoying but then you realise how clever Android/Google is because you simply deleted the whole thing from your phone, and it automatically synced everything again to a normal size.

Check your are synced to your Google account before you do this!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
any recommendations for a second hand smart phone?

I'm on SIM only rolling monthly contract (£5) - Virgin offer unlimited everything for £15 SIM only and I fancy having a go at this mobile internet thing

so buying a used phone seems a good way to try it out without commiting to 2 years of contract

dicking about on the internet, playing with apps, HD video would be good if poss, decent camera...

any suggestions?

any things to avoid?

tomtom

• forum hero
You can get quite a few reasonable brand new SIM/Contract free Android phones for under £100...

Shed loads of choice out there second hand.. Market prices are generally 10-20% more than what 'we buy any phone.com or money for mobile.net' etc.. offer (if you want to check out somethings value.

Iphone 4's start at around £90-100... Don't know about the millions of other android models out there.

Giffgaff cheaper than the virgin mobile deal (starts at £7.50 month) and you can upgrade if you find yourself using more data etc.. to £10 month etc.. etc.. I run a giffgaff sim in my iPad (£5 month) and its really easy..

http://www.giffgaff.com

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You can get quite a few reasonable brand new SIM/Contract free Android phones for under £100...

But you may find that they are lacking on the specification front in terms of internal storage/processing power and you soon want to upgrade.

Only ever owned two phones, but still perfectly happy with the Samsung Galaxy S2 after a year and a half.

"Contract" wise have a look around I'm on 3 and have 300mins/3000texts/1Gb per month (plus extra minutes and texts to others on three) for £10 a month sim-only rolling contract.

When is Jasper getting a new phone, could snaffle his old one?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

When is Jasper getting a new phone, could snaffle his old one?

Only got my S3 in January.

tomtom

• forum hero
What about bribing the cabbie that found TommyZtones phone in his cab to hand it over to you? It comes pre-loaded with 3T's black book contacts ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Used S2s on ebay £110 - £150. Know it could be a bit of a minefield but it's a bloody good phone for that sort of cash.

S2 is a much better phone all round than the S3 Mini and yet used prices are lower cos it's an older phone.

I'd probably go for something like this with a 90 day warranty.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I decided to fork out and bought a Nexus 4.
Is fucking brilliant! Fast clear camera is great.

It linked to my google account automaticaly by the time it had loaded the first time it had copied my background from my nexus 7 and copied all my google contacts. Browsing is fast and all my apps work so much faster than my wildfire.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Anybody used the Blackberry Z10 or the HTC One Mini? Due an upgrade, considering if its worth it or not.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Don't know about the mini but a mate of mine has the HTC one and it looks brilliant.

He went from iPhone to S2 to this and reckons it's the best phone he's used (he's a techy programmer and his Mrs has an iPhone 5 much to his disgust).

I was more attracted to the fact that it's a lovely looking thing. If the mini is the same I'd get one over a similar spec phone just cos it's beautiful.

tomtom

• forum hero
#193 Mobile phone recommendations please...
August 02, 2013, 08:55:30 am
I too have fondled a mini one and its lovely. Z10 is on a dying platform... I'm sure it'll be fine but Blackberry wont be around in its present form for much longer..

SA Chris

• forum hero
Our lass has a One, and loves it.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Many thanks for the replies. The only reason I considered the Z10 was I've been using a Blackberry for a few months and quite liked it, but I think the HTC is edging ahead at the moment.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
If it helps the decision, my Mrs had a top of the range BlackBerry prior to her current phone and it was the worst piece of shit I've ever had the misfortune to attempt to use.

Not surprising that they've fucked their market share and confidence in the brand. Sample size of one obviously.

ardeer

• player
not a windows phone and not on EE, something of a sore subject with me!

SA Chris

• forum hero

iain

• forum abuser
If you've got an HTC One and are concerned about the company and the phone getting updates (or just don't like Sense) there's a vanilla android version which you can convert to with a little bit of time, see here.

There's something similar for the Galaxy S4, although neither can actually be bought in the UK.

Edit: Google do the software and sell both vanilla phones in the US, the method above will put the same software onto a UK One.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:10:14 pm by iain »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal