UKBouldering.com

ROOM 101 (Read 474870 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1250 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 03:55:03 pm
Saying sorry doesn't excuse your actions you dumb cow, next time you might not be so lucky.

Last time I looked, pedestrians weren't duty bound to give way to cyclists and some people go through life in a daze. Well done for being on the ball enough to save both of you from a bruise or two. But what were you expecting, a blowjob?

...pedestrians seem oblivious to approaching cyclists too and will regularly be surprised to be shouted at when they blindly step out into the road.

Ummm... I think they are supposed to look before they step off the pavement though.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#1251 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 03:58:37 pm
I'll bite.

Point 66: Not ride more than two abreast, or single file on narrow or busy roads, or round bends. Every Sunday morning, driving to work, I encounter at least 3 groups of cyclists ignoring this rule. I very nearly kill at least two of them.
Well done for managing to restrain yourself so far. There could be anything just round the corner so travel at an appropriate speed.

And not really one of the points, but if there's a cycle lane, and it's away from the road, why would you bother staying on the road, you fucking retarded mentalist!
Because they (I) have free will and using a cycle lane is not compulsory. The road surface, drain covers and bad repairs can be appalling on a cycle lane, just as they can be anywhere else on the road. Not to mention the bumpy ride caused by the red/green coloured road surface that gets monotonous on a regular commute.

so why don't they take all the precautions they can?
Because then I would never leave the house. Only most accidents happen in the home. Oh no, what to do?

A little more patience and acceptance of different povs is needed here me thinks.

SteveM

• stalker
    • bad-altitude
#1252 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 04:00:11 pm
Saying sorry doesn't excuse your actions you dumb cow, next time you might not be so lucky.

Last time I looked, pedestrians weren't duty bound to give way to cyclists and some people go through life in a daze. Well done for being on the ball enough to save both of you from a bruise or two. But what were you expecting, a blowjob?

...pedestrians seem oblivious to approaching cyclists too and will regularly be surprised to be shouted at when they blindly step out into the road.

Ummm... I think they are supposed to look before they step off the pavement though.

"Supposed to" doesn't mean that slackers can run them down at will though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1253 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 04:14:00 pm
I'll bite.

Point 66: Not ride more than two abreast, or single file on narrow or busy roads, or round bends. Every Sunday morning, driving to work, I encounter at least 3 groups of cyclists ignoring this rule. I very nearly kill at least two of them.
Well done for managing to restrain yourself so far. There could be anything just round the corner so travel at an appropriate speed.

Where did he say he wasn't travelling at appropriate speed? At various points in my life I am a cyclist, a driver and a pedestrian so have various POVs, and I think you are being militant and not thinking clearly.

......and this is all getting a bit tedious and UKC.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1254 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 04:14:18 pm

You're right, pedestrians aren't duty bound to give way to cyclists, but do you remember this guy?

Remember his mantra about what you should do before you cross the road?

Allow me to refresh your memory...

STOP! LOOK! AND LISTEN!!!

So in my opinion (and I'd say the highway code and Darth Vader are on my side) as I was travelling on the road as a cyclist (i.e. a vehicle of sorts), and this person (and many others) are crossing a road they should be following the Green Cross Code and are supposed to stop look and listen for approaching traffic before stepping out!!! 

I'm not about to run people down at will, but in the instance I describe above had this person stepped out a few fractions of a second later they I would have been unable to avoid them without swerving into an oncoming bus which I'm not about to do.  Even if there wasn't a bus coming in the other direction, its not like there is sufficient time in such a situation to have a quick glance over you're shoulder and check that there aren't any vehicles behind you and its safe to swerve out without further endangering yourself.

(Ahh, typing all those pretty colours was a nice distraction from work  :) )

Yes my thoughts exactly.

SteveM

• stalker
    • bad-altitude
#1255 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 04:35:52 pm
a bit tedious and UKC.

So I won't continue it. I suppose that I just remembered that this room is all about mouthing off at whatever just got your goat.

So I'll throw in everyone who argues on internet forums like it actually meant something. Anyone who escalates arguments needlessly. And GIANT COLOURED WRITING IN CAPITALS.

;)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#1256 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 05:09:13 pm
Um, have to take issue with point 66 Drew.  I always used to ride single file but as time's gone by, I've realised that I'm just inviting idiot motorists to drive still closer to me.  Most of the fuckers seem to believe that if they cross the white line in the middle of the road, they'll be taken out by an RPG.  It's legal you stupid twats, particularly if it's going to save a cyclists life!!  So, room 101 for the fuckers who think the end of my handlebars is a target and I'll keep riding two abrest just to make the ignorant pillocks think twice before they overtake.

nik at work

• forum hero
#1257 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 08:11:42 pm
I do see your point John but, as a motorist who always looks out for cyclists, always gives them a wide berth, will happily trundle along behind them at a few miles an hour until it is safe to pass them, etc etc etc it is VERY annoying (and deeply inconsiderate) when a pair of cyclists decide to trundle along barely pedaling down a narrow road side by side chatting away whilst a queue forms behind them.
Someone once gave me poor service in a restaurant so now, regardless of the service I receive, I never tip on principle. That'll teach 'em...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1258 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 08:31:59 pm
Whenever i cycle on the road i always travel in single file, for the simple reason that I know what a pain it is when I am in the car trying to overtake cyclist riding abreast. Would never consider doing otherwise. Do unto others etc.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1259 Re: ROOM 101
October 01, 2009, 08:36:34 pm
Oh what fun! The only thing I can add is to Drew's point about big groups of cyclists riding two or more abreast whilst he is driving to work on a Sunday morning.

Well, Sunday morning is traditionally the day that bike clubs meet up for their club run, and they ride in groups early on a Sunday morning because then they can have a natter and ride in a nice social group whilst the roads are generally quiet and free from traffic. People in bike clubs meet up at ungodly hours like 8am on a Sunday morning so they don't piss too many people off, and so they can be back at home in good time for CHURCH, which is where YOU should be on the SABBATH, you blasphemous whore, Drew! Working on a Sunday? Unbe-fuckin-lievable.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#1260 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 12:20:50 am
SteveM: I drive at what feels like appropriate speeds for the conditions, and have thus far, not hit or killed any cyclists, but they aren't making it easier for me. I was referring mostly to cycle lanes which are on the pavement if you will. The one's on the road, are just bus lanes anyway, so they don't make much difference to me anyway.

Slackers: Totally agree, and loving the colours  :thumbsup:

SteveM: Loving the Giant multi-coloured letters post! Have a wad point.

John H: See Nik's post

Nik: Totally agree

Percy: I know Sunday mornings are the time when more cyclists are out and about, hence why I do drive more carefully on Sunday mornings. And anytime you want to give me a nice Mon-Fri 9-5 job, for a-bit-more-than-fuck-all, just give me a word, Word!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1261 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 07:03:48 am
I never ride two abreast.....'cause I don't have any friends!  :P

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#1262 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 09:27:42 am
I do see your point John but, as a motorist who always looks out for cyclists, always gives them a wide berth, will happily trundle along behind them at a few miles an hour until it is safe to pass them, etc etc etc it is VERY annoying (and deeply inconsiderate) when a pair of cyclists decide to trundle along barely pedaling down a narrow road side by side chatting away whilst a queue forms behind them.
Someone once gave me poor service in a restaurant so now, regardless of the service I receive, I never tip on principle. That'll teach 'em...

I did a mountain bike leaders course and we addressed this very point.  Wilfully riding along two abreast pissing off motorists, no.  Riding two abreast to slow those drivers who might feel it's their god-given right to overtake you on a blind bend, yes.  You may drive with patience Nic, there are plenty who don't!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#1263 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 09:30:34 am
 ;D So, seeing as this is the Room 101 thread and not the cycling proficiency thread, into the vault all impatient, intolerant, ignorant road users of any stripe who don't realise that using the road is a privilege, not a right.  Hurrah for the sainted few who spread sweetness and light as they pass............

Fj

• menacing presence
#1264 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 01:11:17 pm
ditto that bad cyclist rant. and cyclists who ride on the pavement. especially when there's a cycle lane there but they can't be arsed to cross the road to use it. there seems to be this thinking that cos a bike is light, doesn't have an engine, and doesn't pay road tax that somehow means the rules of the road don't apply.
Dave, I've said this before, but I ride past you most mornings on the pavement, near the wickes traffic lights. There is a cycle lane but it runs through a bad junction where I'd have to turn against the traffic. After nearly being cleared up by cars twice I decided the wide pavement would be safer and not really endanger pedestrians.
Its just common sense really, I dare say there are a higher percentage of bad drivers than bad cyclists.
Last week some c*$t almost knocked me off near eccy road spar when diving into the bus lane to save 20 seconds. He refused to apologise, then for a laugh swerved towards me when the other side of the roundabout. I caught up with him, but all I could offer was some choice words.
If you ever feel like I'm endangering you, I suggest you do the same. Until then, see you on the pavement.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

dave

#1266 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 01:24:44 pm
ditto that bad cyclist rant. and cyclists who ride on the pavement. especially when there's a cycle lane there but they can't be arsed to cross the road to use it. there seems to be this thinking that cos a bike is light, doesn't have an engine, and doesn't pay road tax that somehow means the rules of the road don't apply.
Dave, I've said this before, but I ride past you most mornings on the pavement, near the wickes traffic lights. There is a cycle lane but it runs through a bad junction where I'd have to turn against the traffic. After nearly being cleared up by cars twice I decided the wide pavement would be safer and not really endanger pedestrians.
Its just common sense really, I dare say there are a higher percentage of bad drivers than bad cyclists.
Last week some c*$t almost knocked me off near eccy road spar when diving into the bus lane to save 20 seconds. He refused to apologise, then for a laugh swerved towards me when the other side of the roundabout. I caught up with him, but all I could offer was some choice words.
If you ever feel like I'm endangering you, I suggest you do the same. Until then, see you on the pavement.

If you want to use the pavement instead of a dodgy lunction then fine, get off and push.

dave

#1267 Re: ROOM 101
October 02, 2009, 06:22:40 pm
new entry - TV adverts for universities. Particularly the one for liverpool hope that i've just witnessed. At first i actually thought it was a spoof, or an ad for scientology or some bullshit. It has to be seen to be disbelieved.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1268 Re: ROOM 101
October 03, 2009, 01:00:47 pm
new entry - TV adverts for universities. Particularly the one for liverpool hope that i've just witnessed. At first i actually thought it was a spoof, or an ad for scientology or some bullshit. It has to be seen to be disbelieved.

Christ, they must be in the shit intake wise this year if they're having to advertise... even we were significantly over-subscribed....

andy popp

• forum hero
#1269 Re: ROOM 101
October 03, 2009, 07:32:35 pm
Yep, that doesn't look good ever, let alone this year. Where do you work tomtom?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1270 Re: ROOM 101
October 04, 2009, 09:44:20 am
Platformed stiletto's are all the rage now.

As your stylist I urge you to step away from the ugly shoes; even if they're made of PVC and end at the knee.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1271 Re: ROOM 101
October 04, 2009, 12:22:44 pm
Yep, that doesn't look good ever, let alone this year. Where do you work tomtom?

Hull, we're full...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1272 Re: ROOM 101
October 05, 2009, 08:42:20 pm
Fucking people playing music at the crag on their mobile fucking phones.

Witnessed this for the first time this evening.
I considered pissing on the offending phone as the owner was seconding a route (I really needed a piss too).
I decided that I should just move on instead, since they had got there first.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1273 Re: ROOM 101
October 05, 2009, 09:25:09 pm

Hull, we're full...

That's OK, I'm not looking for a place ...  ;)

Stubbs

#1274 Re: ROOM 101
October 05, 2009, 09:51:17 pm
I'd like to add Dean Potter on the strength of his appearance in he Daredevils program on C4.  He redefines the term douchebag.  I hope he would be subjected to whatever his worst fear is in the proper Orwellian style (probably being forced to give up talking pseudo hippy bullshit).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal