UKBouldering.com

ROOM 101 (Read 487821 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#400 Re: ROOM 101
February 08, 2008, 07:05:32 pm
Exactly, show me any business that would refuse greater market share and profits.  Tesco do not force people through their doors.  The people of Britain today made Tesco what they are.  When in the UK I shop everywhere, sometimes even Tesco's but more often than not, I don't.  There are other choices and often cheaper.

There is of course room for improvement, especially in dairy and meat production/buying/sales.   Fundamentally, the concept of the supermarket is sound:  travel onetime to one place and get all one requires.  It's their policy of rapaciousness and underhanded seeking of dominance by ousting smallfry that should be condemned.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#401 Re: ROOM 101
February 08, 2008, 07:39:17 pm
are not all supermarkets the same in terms of cuntness??

no. not in my experience. i was involved for quite a while in a campaign to stop tesco building a supermarket down the road. it's a conservation area, the town already had a supermarket, etc, etc. we lasted for about four years. sudddenly, overnight, the people in the street nearest to where the shop is now all suddenly changed their tune. from vehemently opposing it to welcoming it with open arms. similarly, the inspector who oversaw the public enquiry suddenly seemed to change his tune too.

i wouldn't say that sainsburys and asda and so on should escape criticism, but i think tesco is far and away the most insidious of the lot.

houdini - you say that tesco don't force people through their doors, but they do force themselves into places where the residents don't necessarily want them, and then lots of other shops fall by the wayside...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#402 Re: ROOM 101
February 08, 2008, 07:50:20 pm
That is so very true.

But if I - a man w/ out a motor can find a way to go the extra mile and find other places to spend my money then surely others w/ motors can?  There's no way I'll defend Tesco's but I would criticise those that say I don't have time or more often than not I can't be arsed.  These people are bullshitters.  Personally, I don't mind those that are uncompetetive falling by the wayside, what rankles me is that one day Britain may very well be importing it's milk. They do their coal, yet they have coal. That's wrong.  Everyone needs to make money - all the way down the supply line.   I blame the stockmarket & the shareholder system.

SPAR in Llanberis recently bought up some property in order to stop another low-rent chain moving into a prime spot in the village.  I disagree w/ this process as competition is no bad thing.  It's the behinds-the-scenes action that disturbs me & I would venture that someone in your manor had been bought off . . . ?

Retail is a fucking minefield.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#403 Re: ROOM 101
February 12, 2008, 02:23:29 pm
I blame the stockmarket & the shareholder system.

As do I. For a lot. Once a company is floated it matters not if it is profitable and well run it has to keep becoming MORE profitable to the detriment of everything else. Employees, customers, the environment - fuck em. The directors' only responsibility is to please the shareholders and the only way is growth. It's all bullshit basically and it's fucked the world up good and proper.

I would venture that someone in your manor had been bought off . . . ?

Natürlich. The bastards are at it all over the country. I'm not stupid enough to think that they are the only ones but perhaps they are the worst offenders.

Retail is a fucking minefield.

Yep. But a good place to start is Tesco. Throw em in.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#404 Re: ROOM 101
February 12, 2008, 04:23:41 pm
If it hasnt been done already Id like to nominate people who bring out a chalk ball and pat every single bloody hold on a problem with as much force as a bull elephant and then dont even scrub the hold. A walk round Caley showed that some soft twats had been round the place and most of the holds on the Forked Lighting Crack traverse were so chalky that you couldnt see the texture of the rock. It was just a big chalky lump.

:spank:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#405 Re: ROOM 101
February 12, 2008, 09:13:55 pm
Throw em in.

OK   Why not?   Their porto selection isn't that good.  And their Savers DVD's for €15 won't last the fuck but the plastic it's made from will.

You've persuaded me - and the bossman too - who hates their piss-weak chilli selection.

Burn Tesco Burn.

:guilty:

Personally - If I was a businessman on the large-make, I'd stop @ 700K.  A whole life of luxury for me and my family awaits.  Why go for 7 mill?   Greed-pigs!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#406 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 11:58:15 am
Drivers who don't stop at zebra crossings (in UK) when people are waiting to cross. I have noticed an increase in this despicable behaviour over the last couple of years. Stop it now or else  >:(

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#407 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 01:00:05 pm
Opinions?

Duma

• forum hero
#408 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 01:05:40 pm
up against the wall motherfucker

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#409 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 01:11:20 pm
Opinions?

Pretty shit video.

I was out walking along there one morning a few months ago (in the rain) when some 4x4's came up.  Took a few pics, and chatted to one of the people (they thought it was nice to get outdoors!!!).

Used to be completely opposed to such activities, but the National Parks are for the use of everyone, and all activities have an impact, look at the various 'pathways' leading up to the edge from the foot fall of climbers, and the erosion along the top from walkers (ditto at Derwent Edge, Kinder etc., etc.).  We all use the roads that wind their way through the national parks to get to where we want to, this introduces pollution and a visual impact on the landscape too.

At least we can be grateful that the majority of off-roaders stick to the places that they are permitted to do it, and that these are relatively limited.

Dolly

• forum hero
#410 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 03:28:49 pm
I disagree with this TBH. Just look at the damage done in the last 3 or 4 years by the fookers going over Houndkirk Moor.
Its a Roman Road, been there across a beautiful moor for over 1500 years and its being ripped to pieces by 4x4 traffic.
I'm not saying that they aren't nice people, maybe they're not aware of the consequences of their actions on the landscape  ?
So get em in

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#411 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 03:45:14 pm
I'd put them in along with any cunt littering etc at the crag.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#412 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 03:57:43 pm
I don't really know what to think about greenlaning. My gut reaction is that its wrong and wrecks the countryside, but when I think about it, the Peak district is hardly a wilderness. Many of us drive to get there. If I had loads of money, would I think that it was an acceptable thing to do? No not really - I'd be taking helicopter rides in the Himalayas and snowboarding/skiing down big mountains and so causing a massive disturbance in proper wilderness. I was talking to a climbing mate who does a bit of this; he thinks its great and even seems to get some satisfaction from the disapproving looks he gets from ramblers - his partner felt less comfortable about it. I think I think it should only be allowed for people with limited physical mobility who might not otherwise get to do exciting stuff in nice places.

I am sure that some "greenlaners" do belong in 101. I can't believe its actually legal to start with.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#413 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 04:00:57 pm
I do agree the impact they have is abysmal, particularly in proportion to the amount of activity (fewer off-roaders cause more damage than masses on foot/MTB), but then so is the erosion up at Kinder and Derwent edge and many other places around the Peak and National Parks.

When I walked up to Derwent Edge the other week from Cutthroat Bridge the track was in places four or five, even more metres wide where mountain bikers had come down the track and churned it up (they're allowed to its a bridle way), and it looks a right state.  Should we also ban mountain bikers from here?  Stop people from walking up on Kinder Scout where the delicate moors are getting rapidly eroded?

I'm not defending or supporting 4x4/off-roaders, just saying that the National Parks are for everyone, we might not agree with or like the consequences of other people's actions, but they are (to some extent, which is defined by the areas that they are permitted to carry out their activity) entitled to use them too for their choice of activity.

Littering at the crag can go in, along with my brother and neighbour who carelessly dropped their fag buts whilst we were out on Saturday  :spank: (I picked up those that I could find).

Dolly

• forum hero
#414 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 04:32:56 pm
I think you're right in that one of the reasons it seems different is the amount of damage caused in relation to the amount of activity.
Emotionally it just feels wrong though -seems to be ill at ease with the "point" of a National Park. I realise there is more than one purpose to a National Park BTW.
I'm not saying that National Parks aren't for everyone, just that there should be curbs on more destructive activities. In theory the argument that parks are for everyone could be used to validate almost any form of destructive activity.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#415 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 11:07:05 pm
I feel like I should disagree with the greenlaners but who am I to say that their activity is more harmful than ours. Look at all the visual pollution climbers leave behind with the chalk. Not to mention the fuel emissions just getting to the crag etc etc.

While we're on the subject of erosion has anyone noticed the trenches on the side of the path leading up to Stanage? I thought these would be for drainage but apparently not. From what I've been told some soft tit decided it would be a good idea to use limestone to pave the way and so when this was dissolved into rainwater it created an erosive solution that's been ravaging the sides of the path. Any geologists/chemists confirm/debunk this theory?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#416 Re: ROOM 101
February 13, 2008, 11:26:29 pm
I was going to holdback on this one till I had sourced pics of my brother-in-law w/ his landy tearing up private land in E. Germany.

But will's provoked an early response:

who am I to say that their activity is more harmful than ours?

A blind man?   Never mind the fuel emmisions what about the damage just one of those 1.2 tonners can do in a  few minutes?  It takes years of intense bouldering activity to equal the damage done by one of those 4L beasts.  I should know, my mother drives one (dumb mare insists on using 4WD-mode everywhere, nevermind how much extra fuel she uses on tarmac in an auto jeep!  Ha!)

The brother-in-law is a responsible off-roader: he pays his cash to churn up a small part of the world that is unsuitable for little else.  Their idea of heaven is to crash, roll it, sink, hit a tree - all the more reason to bust out their pulleys, jacks and electro-winches.  There must be a place for these types of activity.  I love going to Santa Pod every few years, or Thruxton - there's a place:  it's not in the National Parks.

There going in!

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#417 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:03:12 pm
Quite right ..... I'd have put them in just for not being able to spell Stanage properly ...... Illiterate scum every man jack of them ....

nik at work

• forum hero
#418 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:19:26 pm
Do-goody-world-saving-recycle-nazi-hemp-wearing-bean-eating-moral-high-grounding-yak-smelling-vegan-cunts. You know the ones. Those twats who look all superior as they spout unfounded mumbo wank about the death of the planet and how it's my fault because I use paper towels to mop up coffee spils instead of recycled lesbians jam rags.  And then toddle off to Mumbai to go on a centre-ing and chapati folding course in A BIG FUCKING FOSSIL FUEL BURNING PLANE.

Cunt off you cunty cunts.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#419 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:20:36 pm
Something annoying ya Nik?

I nominate people who get a nice Malt whisky....... and coke.  DIE DIE DIE!!

nik at work

• forum hero
#420 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:27:14 pm
Oh we're barely even scraping the surface thus far....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#421 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:33:09 pm
Fat people that order loads of food in a Restaurant but want Diet Cola.  Makes all the difference, I'm sure.

C'mon Houd- you gotta let me have whisky killers and bloaters.  Do it, Go on, go on.

nik at work

• forum hero
#422 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:45:39 pm
Nice one with the diet coke.

Which reminds, people who think that having semi-skimmed milk in their morning coffee constitutes being on a diet.

However I don't think you can just put fat people in general into room 101 GCW....

... they wouldn't fit. The fat useless cunts. Maybe we could burn them for fuel?

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#423 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:50:53 pm
No. The stench would be unbearable. Nice use of the word cunt in this thread, by the way. Well done everybody!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#424 Re: ROOM 101
February 14, 2008, 10:54:38 pm
Oh let's not stop there GCW!

A L L    F A T   P E O P L E - unless they are unusually, strikingly, unquestionably, bafflingly, unnervingly sexually attractive to any man w/ 20:20 vision who has had his oats recently enough not to be gagging for a shagging - PLUS - Also happen to be outrageously funny witty people, who can carry themselves w/ style in any situation.

Fuck the rest of them lazy greed pigs.   I came w/ in a hairs breadth of being abandoned in Muscat Airport one time by an outraged co-pilot on a power trip - just because I took offense at a fat cunt who refused to restrict his movements to the seat he had paid for and insisted on taking a portion of mine w/ out even asking.  Never ever enough is it?

And while I'm at it that co-pilot can burn w/ the boss and his Hot-Satan Helpers for that fucking power-spiele you laid on my ass you under paid smarmy knob-jockey cunt in a viscose shirt.  Fuck off!  

Yeah nick - joghurt weavers go in.  Cunts!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal