UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 160287 times)

edshakey

• forum abuser
#625 Re: One for the runners
January 18, 2024, 11:53:41 am
and 54 minutes of sleep in 3 days of that much effort. Just insane.

https://www.inov-8.com/inov-8-athlete-jack-scott-smashes-268-mile-spine-race-record

beside Hadrian’s Wall when I asked a member of the public to watch over me and wake me up after four minutes

I love the stories of 4 minute naps. Seems incomprehensible that it somehow helps, but it happens every time, must be a genuine tactic that works

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#626 Re: One for the runners
January 18, 2024, 03:31:49 pm
WTF what an effort. Hats, shoes, shirt off to the lad.

chicane

• player
#627 Re: One for the runners
January 19, 2024, 12:46:57 pm
Good job the member of the public didn't think 'poor lad looks tired' and let him sleep for an hour not that it would have affected him leading and so far ahead of the record.

Durbs

• forum hero
#628 Re: One for the runners
January 24, 2024, 03:28:35 pm
I've just started on a Garmin training plan, partly to better my 5k PB (Currently 25:19, target of 22:30), partly to actually have a plan to get me out the door, and partly cos I'm getting tubby.

The overall plan is lots of easy runs, some long, some shorter, mixed in with some strides, and then some "pace runs", i.e. 400m at target pace, then 5 minutes at  a chilled pace.

Only in week 1, and ended up getting Norovirus, but Garmin at least seem to subscribe to the "lots of slow pace" as a key to success.

Shall report back on "race day" some time in January.

So, just an update.

Started the program with a 5K PB of 26:03 (not 25:19 as originally posted - that was the Mrs' using my watch...)

14-weeks (over Christmas period, so fairly hectic), mostly lots of 6-10k runs, at slow & easy pace 5:50/km, a few strides and hill sprint sessions.

Went out for 3rd attempt at PB today (1st was terrible, weirdly nervous, 2nd my watch stopped me 800m too early) and managed 23:39. Not a great time by most runners standards, but considering I only started running at all in 2020 and only did my first 10k in July '23, pretty good?

Was still 01:09 below my target time, but I'm pretty happy with it. I reckon on the flat I'd easily manage it (there's a killer hill half-way round my regular lap which just sucks the energy out of me), and regardless, my cardio is way better than it was.

What was interesting was that during the entire 14-week program, I never beat my previous PB*.
Not once in the training program was there ever a "run quite a quick 5k". The most it had me run at goal pace was 2.5km, the rest was just 45-minutes at an easy pace, with 5-10 warmups/cooldowns each end.

*There was one run where I was doing 1k at target pace (4:30/km) then 200m jogging, I stopped paying attention and didn't stop so ran an extra 1k at target pace when I was meant to be doing a cool-down - this shaved 7 seconds off my PB...

Not that fussed about working on this further, much more enjoying 10-15km runs. Added benefit of the training program is I can now squeeze a 10k run into a lunch hour.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#629 Re: One for the runners
January 24, 2024, 06:22:39 pm
Congrats, that's great progress over a fairly short time period. And interesting to hear the feedback on your training regime.

SamT

• forum hero
#630 Re: One for the runners
February 11, 2024, 07:25:43 pm
Not into jogging myself but loved this (utmost respect for the man)

https://youtu.be/SWDUc31tTNg?si=eu8HKf7ONOrOjNyi

slab_happy

• forum hero
#631 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 10:21:15 am
OH SHIT THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Reports coming in from the Barkley that Jasmin Paris has started loop 5!!!  :bounce:

T_B

• forum hero
#632 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 10:31:11 am
It’s exciting. You wouldn’t bet against her.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#633 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 11:39:11 am
Whoop!

Anyone got any interesting races lined up? Just signed up for 15 mile Balmoral Trail Race at the end of April. Day of my 55th so seems like a good way to celebrate. Need to get hill fitness up. Amazing scenic route. 

T_B

• forum hero
#634 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 12:54:05 pm
Don’t know about interesting but I’m doing Sheffield Half in a couple of weeks with my bro. He’s not done much running but has done a lot of cycling.. I’m pacing so it’s a bit tricky to work out how fast/slow to start off. As ever for me it’s been as much a motivation to run regularly as it is about the event itself. Not sure beyond that as I’m prioritising my climbing and whilst roads fit in better around that I am getting a bit bored.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#635 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 01:04:53 pm
Yep 7 are out on loop 5, including Jasmin. Unbelievable year, will be particularly tight for Sebastien to make it back considering he only left camp with 3 mins to spare, but it's certainly possible - daylight in their favour too.

If anyone is slightly out of the loop:

- This document has the times
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vS7bFn8RH5Na4vVxNijCsFCiHeYqRksDi5D9ddC9Fz4yK7nOQhEg8HwG78lz-PFVB2EkFn4QlJKEXMV/pubhtml#

- This is the only "official" source of updates
https://twitter.com/keithdunn

But there's a fair amount more on twitter - at least, lots of speculation and fan chat!

Cutoff is 9:17pm in UK, 5:17pm local time. So all done by this evening. Exciting!

Anyone got any interesting races lined up?
Three Peaks Race in a month or so. Then Borrowdale in early August. Currently negotiating a foot niggle so will see how those plans develop. Your trail race sounds like a cracking way to celebrate your birthday, best of luck for training and the day itself!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#636 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 01:49:44 pm
As ever for me it’s been as much a motivation to run regularly as it is about the event itself.

This. Nothing focusses the mind like a looming deadline.

Always fancied 3 Peaks, but not sure it's worth the trek! Getting lazy, rather do nearby events!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#637 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 01:56:49 pm
Although not a runner I have a strange fascination with the Barkley. Would be amazing to have 2 UK finishers and Jared Campbell could finish his 4th which is mind blowing.

There are some really interesting write ups by people who have finished here:
https://barkleymarathons.com/
and if you want your full coffee table experience, the book called The Finishers looks really cool (I don't own it)

slab_happy

• forum hero
#638 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 03:23:51 pm
Although not a runner I have a strange fascination with the Barkley. Would be amazing to have 2 UK finishers and Jared Campbell could finish his 4th which is mind blowing.

and if you want your full coffee table experience, the book called The Finishers looks really cool (I don't own it)

I feel like the Barkley goes beyond running as any sort of "sports"-type activity and into being fucked-up sadomasochistic performance art engaging in an existential exploration of the nature of failure. And I respect that.

Also, for anyone interested, "The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young" is still 99p to rent on Apple, and outstandingly good.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#639 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 03:40:56 pm
Whoop!

Anyone got any interesting races lined up? Just signed up for 15 mile Balmoral Trail Race at the end of April. Day of my 55th so seems like a good way to celebrate. Need to get hill fitness up. Amazing scenic route.

Nice one Chris, sounds like a great race.

I've just finished a winter of lots of local (Bristol), hilly, very off road races in the 10-15 mile bracket which I've really enjoyed. It's been nice to charge and attack descents etc after a period of doing ultras.

No races lined up but I'm planning to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks loop (assume that's the same as Ed mentioned?) when we're in the Dales in May for a family wedding. I've done the loop before as part of a longer race but keen to give it a bash on it's own, plus don't think I'd have the fitness for anything longer. I'll try and start from near to our accommodation to reduce driving time, which will make it a few miles longer than usual.

JamieG

• forum hero
#640 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 05:06:47 pm

Ditto. I really don't like running (for me personally), but I find the ultra-running stuff weirdly compelling.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#641 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 06:55:20 pm
9:17pm UK finish time. Will be glued to x (twitter) until then. Fingers crossed for the 6 heros still out there, especially #smalleuropeanwomen though really really hope she makes it, it will be tight though as she was seen at the tower with approx. 4 hours to go.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#642 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 07:47:34 pm
More nonsense from last year
https://youtu.be/R-oEFaqUQEQ?si=DayFSQYFbHrLvjR0

The Gary Robbins doc on YouTube is worth a watch, if quite heartbreaking

slab_happy

• forum hero

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#644 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 08:45:22 pm
And John Kelly for the third time.

Buggle has gone for Damian Hall from the UK though who arrived at the gate from the wrong direction.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#645 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 09:21:35 pm
YYFY:

https://twitter.com/keithdunn/status/1771285169963438324

Jasmin Paris @JasminKParis finished loop five of the #BM100 in 59:58:21.

T_B

• forum hero
#646 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 09:28:13 pm
She must have been pushing so hard those last few hours.

So, so impressive.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#647 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 09:29:14 pm
1 minute 40 seconds inside the cut off for a 60 hour race is crazy. Apparently if she had taken 2 seconds more per book page she wouldn't have made it.

5 finishers, dread to think of the changes that will be made next year to make it harder...

slab_happy

• forum hero
#648 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 09:56:09 pm
1 minute 40 seconds inside the cut off for a 60 hour race is crazy.

Better than 6 seconds over ...

edshakey

• forum abuser
#649 Re: One for the runners
March 22, 2024, 11:36:19 pm
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/Y4CNGFuGLdeTny9x/

Bit of video of the finish.

What a machine  :bow:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal