UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 160308 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#325 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2009, 03:33:50 pm
You boys need to get yourselves a Nokia N95 (which has built in GPS) and the Sports Tracker application to record down to the metre where you've been.

Used mine whilst out for a walk last year, and then exported the data to Google Maps format and using the API overlaid it on Google Maps embedded into my blog (NB : My blog is slooooow to load as its running of an embbeded system with a 266Mhz processor and 32Mb RAM, although it should load fine I've found that sometimes the walk doesn't get overlaid on the map properly, just refresh if you're really bored and can be bothered looking).

Bonus points to anyone who can work out where we stopped to pick some 'shrooms  :)

That said, you can no doubt get dedicated GPS tools to do this, the N95 is probably a bit big to go running with.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#326 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2009, 03:55:50 pm
Padley Gorge?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#327 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2009, 03:59:42 pm
Padley Gorge?

Have you looked at the map?  Even if the walk isn't overlaid, it should be clear that its not Padley Gorge.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#328 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2009, 04:01:28 pm
 ;D Nope. I'm guessing I'm miles out. Just remembered you went there and took photos of 'shrooms.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#329 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2009, 04:06:29 pm
;D Nope. I'm guessing I'm miles out. Just remembered you went there and took photos of 'shrooms.

Good memory, I did indeed go foraging round Padley & Longshaw with my camera  :)

This particular time I was picking one specific species (with a pointy cap)  ;)

matthew

• menacing presence
#330 Re: One for the runners
February 26, 2009, 11:24:54 am
Are any of you runners taking part in the IROC? I'm on the marshalling list, but will hopefully by running to 8mile fell run. It'll be my first fellrace. In fact just my first race. The distance doesn't worry me. It's the 900m of climb which does! It's 6weeks away, any suggestions how to boost my hill ability in that time? I was thinking 2sessions of hill sprints a week and then one long run (maybe +50% of the race distance).
Any other suggestions for strong legs in 6weeks?

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#331 Re: One for the runners
February 27, 2009, 03:19:06 pm
Get a Garmin watch. It dose all you need then you can download the info to your own page on their site. You get a break down of all the things you need & a pretty google map of your run- perfect.
Before this I was a mapmyrun fan, but I only do road running, don't know if this makes a difference at all.

Graeme78

• player
#332 Re: One for the runners
March 04, 2009, 04:07:52 pm

got long races lined up in near future - high peak marathon beginning march  :o

Good luck for the weekend. Hopefully you won't get the crappy weather that's due Friday night.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#333 Re: One for the runners
March 09, 2009, 07:04:15 pm
hey thanks graeme - but i had to abscond with chest infection  :'(

my team (with stand in) totley in tiaras got round in just under 13 hours - and reported being very lucky with the weather.

- think i'm going to skip skyline too (though could probably do it) just so i don't get over eager - doing ultra conservative (read frustrating) build up this time.

Graeme78

• player
#334 Re: One for the runners
March 09, 2009, 07:57:14 pm
Bummer, hope it clears up sooner rather than later. It's best not to rush back from these things. It's unfortunate when you miss events because of injury or illness and even more frustrating when you have to get your entries in for all these events quick smart, I think I lost somewhere in the region of 50-100 quid on pre-entry last year after I got injured  :o

My calf went after a short run up Wansfell this weekend so it's back to giving all my money to the physio and back on a diet til it clears up.
Hopefully I'll be able to make Coniston this year.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#335 Re: One for the runners
March 17, 2009, 09:03:07 am
Time for a spring clean?

Up and Running are apparently recycling worn out running shoes.
If you take them into their shop they are collected and sorted by the European Recycling Company and then shipped out to the developing world where local people refurbish them, and sell them on at affordable prices to those who would otherwise go without.  Also charities such as the Variety Club and Afghanistan Schools benefit from any profits.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#336 Re: One for the runners
April 06, 2009, 02:04:59 pm
first post lergy race at the weekend - baildon boundary way off road half - managed to squeak in under 2 hours at 1:56:47 -  ;D

Plattsy

• forum hero
#337 Re: One for the runners
April 07, 2009, 08:35:26 am
Nice one jfw. Hope you continue to tick your races off now and no more lurge.

Been struggling for motivation lately. Ran the Grindleford Gallop and since I've been completely unmotivated to run at all. I've got races lined up which I'm motivated to do. Just can't be bothered to even jog a few miles round the block.

Almost feels like the Gallop sapped all the motivation out of me. I'd never ran over 15 miles before in a race and so it was a new experience (I was happy with time of 3:38:47 even if I was technically disqualified for missing a check point).

Forced myself to jog 5 miles last night and hated every minute of it. Felt like such hard work. Going to see if I can push through it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#338 Re: One for the runners
April 07, 2009, 10:19:05 am
Yeah, motivation's at all time low here too (mostly as I've torn muscles in the neck and running is painful...) but on the positive side, at least it's getting summery again; nothing like the reappearance of the sun to re-jig ones' interest.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#339 Re: One for the runners
April 07, 2009, 02:59:59 pm

Forced myself to jog 5 miles last night and hated every minute of it. Felt like such hard work. Going to see if I can push through it.

especially if you can tick over on a few short runs - you'll probably benefit from a break

injury where you can't actually run is the other sure fire motivator

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#340 Re: One for the runners
April 07, 2009, 05:35:57 pm
I haven't run for about 3 weeks.

I was going really well, ran up to Cloggy, did the Moel Cynghorion circuit, my fastest time around Llyn Padarn and then did a big run up Snowdon (which was amazing and probably the hardest run I've done so far) and then predictably caught a bad cold from my daughter a few days later, which then mutated into a chest infection, and I'm still coughing/feeling rough! ::)

I'm loving the running, but nearly every time I push the boat out with a big fell run I end up getting ill afterwards. My mate swears by an echinacea supplement. I reckon I'm going to get some. Any other sugggestions for boosting imune systems appreciated (yes, I know I should be going to bed earlier!).

Vitamin K

• addict
#341 Re: One for the runners
April 07, 2009, 08:05:06 pm
Sounds a familiar story to when I used to run a lot - bouts of feeling good then bang, some chest infection, viral illness, cold or whatever. I think in the initial stages of starting to run you have to keep a lid on it and not get too carried away when you start getting fitter.

Currently I'm suffering from a bit of plantar fasciitis with a nice bit of knee pain thrown in - great. This is after just getting going again after seemingly been suffering from some kind of viral/chest thing since Christmas. Still, I'm aiming to get out at least 3 times a week easy and/or getting back on the turbo trainer. My advice is just to pull back from really going for it - build slowly and it will pay dividends in the long term; it's natural to be impatient though.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#342 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 10:12:54 am
It's not a familiar story to me at all.  Not even when running 25 miles a week.  Sore soles, ankles, knees and hips?  Sure.  

Some people are kinda sickly though, always sniffling (or some other complaint).  I suspect this is diet-based (poor immune system) issues.  But saying that, the weather in N. Germany is generally excellent and not to be compared w/ N. Wales et al.

EDIT - Sorry skip reading too much.  Boosting immmune system:  fresh ginger, and lots of it;  in the cooking and in teas (mainly drink mint w/ fresh lemon and ginger through out the day).  And obviously as much fresh fruit and vegetables as you can squeeze in.  Currently manage to get 3 fruit portions in a oner - in an AM smoothie, so it's not too difficult to get 5 or 6 portions in a day.  Steaming stuff too, no boiling if at all possible.

Garlic too, I eat it in most meals.  http://vitanetonline.com/forums/1/Thread/1376

http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/life-and-style/articles/boost-your-bodys-immune-system.aspx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:34:02 am by Houdini »

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#343 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 12:04:28 pm
I think my diet is okay, I eat well: lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, ginger, garlic, fish, brown rice, brown pasta, wholemeal bread, oatcakes, cheese, olives, skimmed milk etc. I could probably cut down on red wine intake, but I don't drink much beer at all these days (unless I find myself in a pub with king guzzler Andy Scott!).

I have been living in a caravan for the last 18 months though and I suspect the dampness/cold has had some bearing on my recent tendency to come down with chest infections. I'm going to get a de-humidifier this week as I can't see our new house getting finished before the next winter arrives.

I reckon if I can take it steady on the running front and - as frustrating as it is - build up more slowly I'll be alright. But the temptation to go for a big challenging run every now and then is hard to resist, especially when the skies are blue and the sun is shining and those mountains look so damn fine...

(Vit K: you probably know this already, but I found rolling my foot on a hard ball, and going at it quite hard so that it hurts sorted a bout of PF for me pretty quickly.)

Vitamin K

• addict
#344 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 12:39:13 pm
Yeah I know about the golf ball thing - seems to be settling down, but it's not half painful sometimes. Trying some off-the-shelf insoles as well, as I'm not convinced my shoes are providing enough support.

When I mention that I was running a lot...I mean a lot and practically all of it was fell based (often nipping up to the lakes after work to get a 'quick' one in - usually round Kentmere, but often up Helvellyn and the like). I never had the injuries, but I did have lots of illness, which was probably down to severe bout of glandular fever buggering up my immune system when I was younger and generally being an idiot with my training, which was usually pretty full on. I never really got the concept of easy days/weeks, but I certainly have now.

I guess age is catching up with me and that accounts for the niggles.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#345 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 01:19:19 pm
Currently I'm suffering from a bit of plantar fasciitis with a nice bit of knee pain thrown in

How's the wrist, Andy?

Sounds like you're getting old before your time :lol:

Vitamin K

• addict
#346 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 01:35:25 pm
Tell me about it - nearly 50 and I'm falling apart at the seams.

I haven't even mentioned the dodgy shoulders...but the wrist is fine ;)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#347 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 01:45:58 pm
Cool, see you at Brownstones over the next couple of weeks then....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#348 Re: One for the runners
April 08, 2009, 08:30:44 pm
Yeah, Si...  I was making an unpointed comment re:  sickly types and poor diets.  I know you have a good lifestyle. 

Not true of many people tho, richness (in food) is rife. 

Over-keenness is a terror.  Sometimes after a week on my ass I go and run for 2+ hours and come back ruined...

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#349 Re: One for the runners
April 27, 2009, 09:44:49 am
manged to do the yorkshire three peaks race without getting timed out  :great: at either of the two cutoff points

squeaked in just under 4:50, with 4:49:40 - managed to pull an extra burst of effort for the last little bit when i worked out i had a nice round number i might beat (obviously that 20 seconds difference dead important  :whistle:)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal