UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 160458 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#200 Re: One for the runners
April 21, 2008, 02:08:47 pm
It's baking in the Reich today.

Felt a bit sluttish from too much strudel and Fraudini's wunderbar selbstgemacht pizza of yesterday . . .   So this morn I togged myself up good:  full tracksuit, thick cotton vest underneath, thick hoody over the top.

Jogged for 2h 10m and returned a whole 2KG lighter, somewhat delirious . . .   

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#201 Re: One for the runners
April 21, 2008, 07:13:06 pm
Scheißfick . . .

Just spotted a poster for the Hamburg full marathon on the 27th April.  I'm well-psyched to enter.  Entry is now closed   >:(

Plattsy

• forum hero
#202 Re: One for the runners
April 23, 2008, 01:34:41 pm
Well I managed 203rd at Graves park (the course was v hard) on Sunday in a chip time of 53mins 19secs. Quite happy with that although I don't feel ready for the half marathon on Sunday. That'll have to wait until next year. Going to consolidate at 10km this year.

Anyway less about me. Tried some of these badgers on this lunchtime. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/technology/faqs_mechanics.cfm I can tell you they were pretty comfy and although weird I reckon running in them could be beneficial for some, but maybe not all, people.

Anyone know owt about them other than they're not cheap?

Plattsy

• forum hero
#203 Re: One for the runners
April 23, 2008, 01:36:37 pm
PS the literature that comes with them says they can be used for bouldering.  :lol:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#204 Re: One for the runners
April 23, 2008, 07:05:00 pm
I'd use those pumps for beach running, no sweat.  But for concrete?  No fucking way.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#205 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2008, 09:24:03 pm
Well, the Hamburg full mazza was won by a Dutch guy in 2:07!!  He beat many Kenyans.  Yes, he was tall, thin w/ a big stride.  Take home = €120,000.  16.5K runners.

I note that I am only a full hour and then some off the full-mazza pace.  I feel next year it shall be mine . . .  MUArR HA HA HA H A AH HA!!

8)

So!  Fellow athletes!  What happened in the Sheff half-Mazzeur?  Oui?  Non?  Que?  N'est pas? Bien?  Poo poo?  Eh?

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#206 Re: One for the runners
April 28, 2008, 09:43:21 pm
well didn't do the sheffield half

did do another 5 mile race on wednesday and managed to beat my last time by 17 seconds (over a hillier course) - so now on 36:39  ;D

instead of hail was bizarrely warm (think i preferred the hail) -

anyway saturday thinking of doing the coniston fell race - a mere 9 miles - but an oh so daunting 3500 ft of climb  :'(

Graeme78

• player
#207 Re: One for the runners
April 29, 2008, 01:03:28 pm
anyway saturday thinking of doing the coniston fell race - a mere 9 miles - but an oh so daunting 3500 ft of climb  :'(

That's a good race, it was my first lakes race. All really runnable, with a good descent off the old man at the end. I was hoping to be there this year, but injury has prevented me racing.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#208 Re: One for the runners
April 29, 2008, 06:01:32 pm
cheers graeme thats good to know  :thumbsup:

got my pete bland race map through the post!

was up in kentmere just walking the horseshoe saturday - and it was howling/hailing/raining - really poor visibility - we sacked it off and came back down the valley - made me really appreciate how serious it can be up on the hills! did some extra bearing taking practice!!

was targeting fairfield horseshoe race - then it turned out that boyfriends family of fell runners are all doing this one so it seemed a shame not to join in.

have you done fairfield too? is the up a bit steeper?

Graeme78

• player
#209 Re: One for the runners
April 29, 2008, 09:08:31 pm
I've not run the race route, I've run the standard walkers route a couple of times. The race is slightly different at the start, which you probably know. Again it's really runnable apart from the initial climb onto Heron Pike/ Nab Scar whichever one it ends up at. Really nice run, good for when you've got a couple of hours free in Ambleside. It's the second year I'm missing Fairfield due to injury/illness  :'(

Anyway enjoy the race, it's another goody, hell they're all good in the lakes. :thumbsup:

Oh word to the wise on the coniston race it's a long pull up onto Wetherlam, take it easy, don't try and run all of it unless your fit enough, I'm not.
Let us know how you get on, hope the weather's not too crap.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#210 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 08:13:08 am
wow - i think i nearly walkied the whole thing!

wasn't trying to run up wetherlam, but think i did walk too fast! was absolutely destroyed for all the rest of the race - the nice bit of the down was somewhat marred by amazing blood blister formations and the fact that my legs  seemed to belong to somebody else - i was never going to be great on the steeper sections of descent - but it was a bit depressing shuffling down the smoother bit feeling sorry for myself!

also managed to get sunburn!

can't wait til fairfield!!

Graeme78

• player
#211 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 08:30:47 am
Excellent, glad you enjoyed it. The steeper descents take some getting used to, but once you suss out how to run them they're fine.
Managed my first fell run for a bout three weeks yesterday with the dog, my God it was hard work.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#212 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 09:13:53 am
what is your injury?

some one broke their leg on the descent on saturday!  :o

i was going too slowly to be in any danger!

Graeme78

• player
#213 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 10:12:23 am
I think I've had a calf injury for a while now, it doesn't seem to be shifting at all, could have soemthing to do with the fact I kepp running on it ::)
I say think because the muscle never feels that sore, I suspect it might tendinitis in my ankle.

I heard about the bloke who broke his leg on the fell runners forum, he didn't seem to bothered about for some reason.
I guess it's just one of the perils of fell running.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#214 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 02:52:13 pm
Nice to see other people use this thread.

Recovery runs:  had my first proper one today.  I'd read that you shouldn't bother unless you run at least 4 times a week anyway, and they should only be employed after key runs.

I'm not sure it's true about the 4 runs rule.  I tend to run for 2 hours a pop upto 3 times a week.  Yesterday I pushed to 3 hours and was psyched to break my endurance record but just couldn't face continuing for a further half hour - especially as I was back on local turf having run across a city and back.  Felt mothered afterwards, so gave it 45 minutes this morning too.  Upshot = I feel great.  May very well take the opportunity to head out again tomorrow and capitalise on it.

Graeme78

• player
#215 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 03:26:36 pm
I'm not sure I would go for another run after three hours and then a 45 minute run. I'd take a days rest and go again on Thursday.
Resting is an important part of training after all  ;)
For what it's worth I 'm convinced my injury came off the back of two up-tempo one hour fell runs followed by a recovery run, followed by another fell run. I felt good at the start of each run, however end result was my monthly milage dropped by 50% for april.

Duma

• forum hero
#216 Re: One for the runners
May 06, 2008, 10:43:43 pm
Graeme/jfw et al - having been suitably inspired by "feet in the clouds"  (and a quite glorious 9 mile sundowner through the woods and along the river this evening) I'm up for having a go at this fell running lark. Any recommendations -gentle- for a beginner? I'm in reasonableish shape (1:31 half) but not done too much serious hill work, my navigation is pretty nonexistent, and although most of my circuits are off road they're generally on pretty well maintained trails. (I'm in Bristol - so The Peak would be better than Lakes/Scotland)

Don't know how these two compare to real fell races, but they're both on my list...
man v horse
race the train

Liked this btw and this

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#217 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 04:54:17 am
Duma

FRA calendar here (click on the month in little text to go to the right month)

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2008races.htm

They're all over the country - lots of evening races too through the summer (i'm doing the tigers todger tonight if my achy ankle isn't too bad)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#218 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 06:54:06 am
I'm not sure I would go for another run after three hours and then a 45 minute run. I'd take a days rest and go again on Thursday.

You're confused.  Monday = 3 hours trot (I wouldn't call it running).  Tuesday = 45 min recovery run.  From what I gather, the science behind the RR is forcing your muscles to use untrained fibres ie: the muscles that did not get burned during your key run, and in doing so sets your muscles up better for the next round.

If you rest for a whole day and then take a RR the trained fibres would recover normally and the RR would be pointless.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#219 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 07:57:56 am
Houdini, I think Graeme was suggesting you rest for a day after the RR not between the key run and RR.

Mon - 3hrs
Tues - 45min RR
Wed - REST
Thurs - Run

Currently I'm going through a tough stage where every run feels like hard work. I'm not getting any enjoyment out of them at all. Plus it doesn't help that the weather is so hot (for me). Any tips on running when it feels tough and also tips for training when its hot (well too hot for me)?

Graeme78

• player
#220 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 08:49:20 am
That's right, I was suggesting a rest day after your recovery run, apologies for the confusion.
I see your point that resting before the RR would be pointless.

With regards to starting fell running, I just went out and did some, but have the distinct advantage that I live in the west pennines and know my local area pretty so just went for it.
It might be worth getting in touch with a club, you seem to have some talent 1:31 for a half is a lot faster than I could manage, then again I've only ever run that sort of distance on the fells.
I don't know the Bristol area at all, but in the fra mag there's a lot of discussion about running on coastal paths and how it's a good substitute for fell running if you can get enough climbing in. Have a look on the FRA forum they're not too bad on there and they may be able to help.

My only tips for running in hot weather are: wear a hat, run early in the morning, never run around lunch time, and drink lots of water.
For the lack of motivation thing I don't know the onlything I suggest is force yourself to get out eventually it becomes easier and you start to enjoy it again.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#221 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 09:33:12 am
Hot weather tips?  Well it's shorts, vest, mini-socks and #2 all over-time for me.  Second the morning/evening idea.  I'll have my morning coffee to wake up (maybe a little fruit); drink at least a litre of herb tea w/ honey over an hour or so; make my ablutions/lighten oneself; have a little more water before leaving base; run in a spot I can take a piss or two; & carry a €2 coin to buy liquid if it gets too sweaty and the opportunity arises.

Motivation?  I've said it before but it's worth repeating:  mp3 player & stirring music.  Something made w/ machines (no Jew's harp or hippy-didge); something to trance-out to.  Running without music is ghastly.   :thumbsdown:

The only problems I'm having are impact-related (being a cityslicker/concrete runner) and not stretching enough after running (easily the most tedious part of any sport IMO).

For the record I did another 45 mins this morning to make 3 days on . . .  Not something I'll be doing again . . .   

*twinge/gripe*

Graeme78

• player
#222 Re: One for the runners
May 07, 2008, 09:41:47 am

Motivation?  I've said it before but it's worth repeating:  mp3 player & stirring music.  Something made w/ machines (no Jew's harp or hippy-didge); something to trance-out to.  Running without music is ghastly.   :thumbsdown:

Never ran with music, tend to use my run to wake up or relax, I prefer to listen to bird song and wildlife when out running, also gives me a heads up when some dozy shite decides to let their dog have a go at me.

and not stretching enough after running (easily the most tedious part of any sport IMO).

For the record I did another 45 mins this morning to make 3 days on . . .  Not something I'll be doing again . . .   

*twinge/gripe*

I totally agree, stretching is so dull, yet your supposed to do loads, the only time I bother is when I'm injured :-[
3 days together is hard, not something I do very often, four is even harder, and if you get good weather it becomes even harder not to go out.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#223 Re: One for the runners
May 13, 2008, 09:51:29 am
on the subject of hot weather - was foolish enough to go on a club run on sunday!

scorchio!

9:30 - 11:30

was pretty bloomin hot, especially out on the moor - thankfully dropped back through some woodland - ended up dunking my head in a few streams - blimey if its that hot at the weekend for fairfield (don't think its meant to be quite that hot) i might have to take a drink (would have quite liked one at coniston to be honest!)

had some juice in a screw top bag in my bum bag sunday (just trying to get more used to wearing it) caned it all really quickly

all the sun tan lotion sweated off! but i also think it might be worse if it stayed on (as it feels like it might stop sweat cooling  you??

Graeme78

• player
#224 Re: One for the runners
May 13, 2008, 01:12:23 pm
Sunday was a hot one, I'm glad I had a hangover and didn't have to go out, I went over loughrigg with the dog, a black lab, on Saturday and that was bad enough for the hour we were out. He suffers in the heat, so I let him explore any water we came across, good excuse for a rest.
I'd suggest a hat over sun cream when running, protects your head and you don't feel all grimey and horrible.
I wear a buff when I run in the sun, turn it into a skull cap kind of thing, so it protects my head and ears. There's nowt worse

I think it's supposed to cool down for weekend, apparently one trick for fell running is to drink loads before you go, I'm not keen on this sounds like you could make yourself quite ill from all that liquid sloshing around. I usually take a half litre platy when I've done fairfield it's stood me in good stead. I know this is no help now, but it's better to drink before you become thirsty, that way you can avoid drinking all your fluid in one go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal