UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 160418 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#175 Re: One for the runners
February 27, 2008, 08:56:48 pm
M'kay . . .

I see this 4 times a week thang will not be easy (but that's 'cos I just can't stop training inbetween!)

Mon ~ 30m running (fine)
Tue ~ 30m hard skipping (fine)
Wed ~ 50m running (Not fine!  Shins are bitchin' man, took 30mins before endorphins shut pain out.  Nb ~ cut skipping out or one short running session) - plus - 1 hour swimming (no impact = gorgeous floaty light, massive underwater gains since last time)

Thur ~ Eh?  OK, going to the beach.  Going is soft to softest, should be great, hips will love me.
Sat ~ On for half mazza. 

Under 58Kg first time in 3 years.   :great:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#176 Re: One for the runners
February 29, 2008, 09:33:12 pm
M'kay . . .

Fraudini fell in a rock pool at the beach yesterday meaning I gave her my dry running pumps/socks & and such - no beach running was had.

Today I went out w/ the intention of getting my Thursday 30min run, which I did, and then some...   Tomorrow is a designated pool day so I thought I'd get a half-mazza in one day early.  It was a sublime leap year day, the sun was glorious, I just couldn't stop.

It was a keep on truckin' - day.  Jog till I drop.  I managed 3h 10m.  16.65 miles / 26.8 Km.  (Started out @ 59.5Kg ended @ 57.3Kg.)  Nice and slow; regular cadence; no sweating/spitting/hoiking up greenies.  Went almost to my usual half-mazza distance then doubled back on myself as I felt unusually Nietzschean.  The back of my knees were in bulk, but I felt very strong mentally; which surely, is what it's all about, finished the last mile at a sprint as I felt I had more to give.  Slept the afternoon on a couch trying to digest the 3 egg omelette on Spanish bread I had afterwards.  Nice.

Next week will be spent in the pool on a zero-impact recovery drive, then onwards to a full marathon the following weekend.

I had an ace, full-on comedy moment:  I was weaving through a throng of rich German women, looking strong, fit; ripped: a veritable superman.  I swerved to avoid T-boning a couple and couldn't recover myself quick enough and face planted fully against a reinforced glass shop window full of naked mannequins and window-dressers.  Most embarrassing...  I hurt my nose...

Finally I've had a moment of clarity about this running regime.  I really don't care about times; the fitness is taking care of itself.  It's just about moving; burning past obese couples in Bentley Continentals along Hamburg Docks, fit as a butcher's dog.  Fast and free w/ banging techno on the mp3 player.  Simple pleasures.

Duma

• forum hero
#177 Re: One for the runners
March 02, 2008, 04:11:47 pm
Just back from Llanelli. Gorgeous setting, and great weather for February, if a bit windy for perfect conditions.
More to the point...

1:30:49! :bounce:

Yes yes fucking yes.

Don't know where that came from, its 17 minutes faster than my Bristol time in September, and gives an average quicker than any of my 6 mile "speed" sessions. I think that normally training on grass/trail, and hillier than today, probably made my training times a bit pessimistic, but I'm still amazed. Helps a lot having people to run with that help your pacing as well, as I'm normally shit at keeping a steady speed.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#178 Re: One for the runners
March 03, 2008, 07:32:46 pm
Awesome Duma, you must be made-up.  What was the terrain like?

This running in a crowd thing:  I'm sure it's good for pacing, but don't you find it restrictive?  All those people in front and behind you.  I'm not sure I'd dig that.  I'm still searching for the ultimate techno mix for my mp3 player that I can use as a metronome - needs to start and end at the right pace - no joy yet.  I find I vary pace quite heavily, but what gets burnt early must be repayed later in the session and vice versa.

Duma

• forum hero
#179 Re: One for the runners
March 03, 2008, 11:23:53 pm
Indeed I am  ;D. results up now, 89th!!
Terrain was nearly all tarmac bike path, with a couple of miles of hard packed dirt between miles 9 & 11, basically flat with a couple of brief hills for bridges over the railway.
The field size for the event was great ~ 1000 entries, which meant any crowding was only in the first mile, and by the third we'd strung out enough you certainly wouldn't feel crowded, probably about 1 runner every 4-5 metres or so I'd guess. Was totally different to doing Bristol, that was a much bigger race (I think about 10000), and I started much too far back so was pretty boxed in for the entire first half, and even after that had to weave a bit to get round people. I think starting in the right place for your expected time is important, as the numbers don't matter so much if you're all doing the same pace, though I prefer erring on the side of caution, and then overtaking, to being overtaken for the whole race cause I started too far forward.

Anyway, the running is on hold for a couple of weeks now, font next Monday!

Fatleg

• addict
#180 Re: One for the runners
March 04, 2008, 08:53:25 am
Running in the crowds at the start of races really pisses me off. Last year I basically had to start at the back of the Sheffield half and spent about the first two miles finding abit of clear road to get a good pace going. People just seem to ignore where you are suppose to stand at the line up according to your predicted finish time. Luckily its electronically recorded and I got round in 1hr24, but I was walking for the first 300 yards or so and I think I spent a lot of energy getting around people at the start.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#181 Re: One for the runners
March 04, 2008, 12:48:50 pm
I don't think any of you will have much competition to worry about from this guy, but certainly something to aspire to.

The quote on finishing the half marathon "Where's my beer?"  :beer1:

Duma

• forum hero
#182 Re: One for the runners
March 05, 2008, 12:46:22 am
Fatleg - the crowds are a pain, but seriously why where you starting toward the back of the field? 1:24 will get you an elite start in most races, so surely at least some of your difficulties where down to your own reticence?

Fatleg

• addict
#183 Re: One for the runners
March 05, 2008, 05:52:33 pm
It was my first race for a few years and when I got there the queue back from the start had already formed and I couldn't get any further forward nearer to the start line.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#184 Re: One for the runners
March 18, 2008, 01:32:50 pm
Another 2 hrs along the riverfront today (lots of chicks in sweet woolen suits, it's snowing occassionally in the Reich).  Felt easy after yesterdays 3km swim & spent some time sprinting to make it harder.  Might go climbing one day . . .

Plattsy

• forum hero
#185 Re: One for the runners
March 18, 2008, 02:15:20 pm
Th Sheffield Half Marathon is 41 days away and I've been thinking about making it my first half marathon without specifically training for it. The furthest I've gone so far is 6.5miles on Saturday at 9 minute miles. I was shattered. What is the minimum distance I should've covered prior to attempting a half marathon? Not looking for a short cut just wondering what is realistic.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#186 Re: One for the runners
March 18, 2008, 02:25:56 pm
I think that if you can run that far at that speed and still feel ok (not totally shattered) then you should be ok to do the 1/2. One run of that distance each week for the next 5 weeks with shorter runs in between should see you alright  :thumbsup:
A longer run at some point will make you more confident about entering...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 02:31:47 pm by lagerstarfish »

Plattsy

• forum hero
#187 Re: One for the runners
March 18, 2008, 03:40:04 pm
Good to know. I'll try and put in a 8 miler before hand for confidence.

Think I might run the Graves park 10km the week before. Never ran at a proper event before. Entrance isn't cheap but it is for charity.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#188 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 10:20:11 am
Seriously doubt I'll make the Sheff' mazza, I'll not be in Britain.

The atrocious weather we've had in The Reich over the last two weeks has really affected the running regime.  One minute blinding sunshine - the next?  Vicious hail - the next?  Blinding sunshine - the next?  Full day of snow.  Most erratic.

Easter AKA eat & drink till you can't move-week was just that.  Bang!  Add 2.5KG to my ass, Easter Bunny bitte . . .

I've been experimenting w/ maximum duration vs required recovery time.  I want the longest run possible (disliking short or fast runs).  Struggling to juggle adequate rest between these longer 2hr+ runs; the body seems to need 3 - 4 days rest which is a pain as I get the urge to run every other day.  Luckily, spazzing my thumb keeps me out of the pool affording the legs better rest.

Wish I was in Goa w/ Yoss  >:(

Plattsy

• forum hero
#189 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 12:19:17 pm
Seriously doubt I'll make the Sheff' mazza, I'll not be in Britain.

I've been experimenting w/ maximum duration vs required recovery time. 

Shame about the half marathon dude (I'm still on target. 8miles on Sunday morning has boosted my confidence)

Regarding the required recovery time. Are you incorporating recovery runs? My recovery run on Monday was the first where I think it did what it says on the tin.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#190 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 12:51:07 pm
I did try recovery runs a few weeks back.  Utterly forgotten now (mostly as I'm chasing a feeling not a position or against the clock.  I'm utterly disinterested in any form of competition.  I've lost interest in running in more than a pair.  I don't enjoy being crammed).  I'll try again w/ recovery runs, though if anyone has anything  ::) SCIENTIFIC to add re - recovery runs then I'm all ears.

I really do need 1st class trainers w/ orthotic soles but I simply don't have the $ now.

In fact I'm on the cusp of finding some form of protein shake to aid recovery.  As a veggie I struggle to find enough protein (w/ out fats and sugars w/ it).  I eat enough protein but the fatiness and sugariness is a chore.  Hence this idea.

And before anyone pies* up re: the piffle thread on Creatine.  It's not a protein.

Cool typo!  I mean PIPES.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:58:36 pm by Houdini, Reason: Fucking shite edit limit only for spelling shit-up. Bog off! »

galpinos

• forum hero
#191 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 01:28:11 pm
I
In fact I'm on the cusp of finding some form of protein shake to aid recovery.  As a veggie I struggle to find enough protein (w/ out fats and sugars w/ it).  I eat enough protein but the fatiness and sugariness is a chore.  Hence this idea.

http://www.scienceinsport.com/

http://www.scienceinsport.com/rego.htm/

Their rego stuff is meant to be good. Their products seem to be aimed at athletes/sportspeople as opposed to gym junkies.

Plattsy

• forum hero

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#193 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 02:52:44 pm
Cheers for that.  As much info as any amateur requires.

Additional research has shown that when athletes begin a workout with energy-depleted muscle fibers and lingering muscle damage from previous training, the brain alters the muscle recruitment patterns used to produce movement. Essentially, the brain tries to avoid using the worn-out muscle fibers and instead involves fresher muscle fibers that are less worn out precisely because they are less preferred under normal conditions. 

When your brain is forced out of its normal muscle recruitment patterns in this manner, it finds neuromuscular "shortcuts" that enable you to run more efficiently (using less energy at any given speed) in the future. Pre-fatigued running is sort of like a flash flood that forces you to alter your normal morning commute route. The detour seems a setback at first, but in searching for an alternative way to reach the office, you might find a faster way -- or at least a way that's faster under conditions that negatively affect your normal route.

Tips for effective use of recovery runs:

Whenever you run again within 24 hours of completing a key workout (or any run that has left you severely fatigued or exhausted), the follow-up run should usually be a recovery run.

Recovery runs are only necessary if you run four times a week or more.

If you run just three times per week, each run should be a "key workout" followed by a day off.

If you run four times a week, your first three runs should be key workouts and your fourth run only needs to be a recovery run if it is done the day after a key workout instead of the day after a rest day.

If you run five times a week, at least one run should be a recovery run.

If you run six or more times a week, at least two runs should be recovery runs.

There's seldom a need to insert two easy runs between hard runs, and it's seldom advisable to do two consecutive hard runs within 24 hours.

Recovery runs are largely unnecessary during base training, when most of your workouts are moderate in both intensity and duration. When you begin doing formal high-intensity workouts and exhaustive long runs, it's time to begin doing recovery runs in roughly a 1:1 ratio with these key workouts.

There are no absolute rules governing the appropriate duration and pace of recovery runs.

A recovery run can be as long and fast as you want, provided it does not affect your performance in your next scheduled key workout.

In most cases, however, recovery runs cannot be particularly long or fast without sabotaging recovery from the previous key workout or sabotaging performance in your next one.

A little experimentation is needed to find the recovery run formula that works best for each individual runner.

Don't be too proud to run very slowly in your recovery runs, as Kenya's runners are famous for doing. Even very slow running counts as pre-fatigued running practice that will yield improvements in your running economy, and running very slowly allows you to run longer without sabotaging your next key workout.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#194 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 03:16:53 pm
I'd heard these ere Kenyan runners were famous for running very fast. Didn't realise they were also famous for running very slow too.

Ever heard of Kenyan hills training. Goes something like this:
Find a really steep hill.
Sprint up it for 30 seconds.
Jog back down slowly.
Repeat until you can't run/throw up/faint/knackered.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#195 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 03:37:39 pm
The Kenyan thing got me thinking.

Found this site http://www.kenyanway.com/Main.php

I need more time to look around it (recent office move has curtailed my usual habits) but figured anyone skivving can take a peek.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#196 Re: One for the runners
April 02, 2008, 04:23:21 pm
The 20 Kenyan Commandments are interesting.  Lots of focus on hill training.

Fatleg

• addict
#197 Re: One for the runners
April 04, 2008, 07:34:59 am
Aren't the Kenjan boys born at high altitude as well so they are better at dealing with the relative hypoxia encountered during running. Mate of mine was born at high altitude at was an awesome triathlete - first amateur to finish in the world iron man a few years back.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#198 Re: One for the runners
April 04, 2008, 07:31:55 pm
I reached burnout today.  1 hour run yesterday including a hill sesh plus 2 hours plod today = fucked hOU.  Last 3 miles was  m u r d e r .

I'll take that recovery run tomorrow morning thanks. 25 minutes nice and slow, yes Sir.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#199 Re: One for the runners
April 21, 2008, 08:40:28 am
did a 5 mile road race on wednesday in darkest doncaster (at a place called hayfield lakes)

flat and road - are in fact my ideas of hell - but in the interests of having a bit of a bash (and hopefully getting a bit faster) went along in the hail and rain

was indeed thoroughly miserable, spent most of the time sporting a snot goatee and a pained expression whilst wheezing alarmingly

did manage 36:56 - which was definitely better than i was expecting - and the endorphins afterwards made it just about worth while - the next one is this wednesday  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal