UKBouldering.com

One for the runners (Read 160257 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#150 Re: One for the runners
February 11, 2008, 05:43:11 pm
Exactly Slackers, ex-so-foo-foo-zackly!  Not even half way there yet.

The figures for numbers of deaths in 100, 000's is interesting:

50-64          65-84                 over

Cancers                    39                 32                 18

Circ. System              36                 42                 42

Take home message?  Probably get some cardio in you, no smoking at all, tread very easy on the sauce & try not to over do it and have an infarction.

Duma

• forum hero
#151 Re: One for the runners
February 11, 2008, 09:47:13 pm
Ace run today, could not have asked for better weather. Through the woods and along the river as the sun dipped - lush.
Measured using http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm, 14.3miles. 1:57, which I work out to be 1:47ish half pace - plus it's fairly hilly, and I wasn't pushing too hard either. May still be on for sub 100 min at Llanelli...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#152 Re: One for the runners
February 11, 2008, 09:53:13 pm
Effort Duma.

Must say I dread the downhill more than up: me quads!

Forest running rocks: so lush underfoot, the knees love it.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#153 Re: One for the runners
February 13, 2008, 04:14:59 pm
got out last wed  from my front door 5 miles (on roads) - was one of those high energy days and really enjoyed myself.

after trashing my tips on sat (at secret garden at hottest part of the day - who would have thunk it), decided may as well run sunday morning as climbing wasn't going to be any great shakes.

from hathersage did a lovely 8 miles up the moors around abney looking back at all the grit edges. fields, woods and little bridges over streams; all sparkly, frosty and fairy tale like.

went to cafe for bacon butty, tea and scone, then met some folk at burbage south boulders - thinking i would be just lounging - in fact ended up taping my worst tip, and doing a problem i've never done before (40 in this pic)  ;D

sorry to contaminate runnig thread with climbing.x

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#154 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 12:08:27 am
Duma - how much rest would you allow yourself after a leisurely 1/2?

I'm doing one a w/end now - w/ no other running (the every 2nd/3rd day only works for short runs which don't do it for me right now) but plan to do another tomorrow: which is 4 days full rest.

Graeme78

• player
#155 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 08:21:20 am
One thing I have found useful recently is doing a short recovery run after any long run, I tend to do about 13-14 miles for a long run at a weekend and folow this up with a 25 minute run the following day. It makes the world of difference. I find I tend to recover much more quickly if I do this.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#156 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 08:27:25 am
Thanks for the knowledge, I'll experiment w/ this. 

(It's mostly in the hip I feel it afterwards - I get a clicking on a tendon, I think.  I do the stretch where one lies down with one leg crossed over the other and pulls back on the under leg w/ ones hands to draw the top leg towards your chest.  Seems to help, but I'll take on any stretches that you know might compliment this.)

Duma

• forum hero
#157 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 11:26:50 am
I'd take a full days rest, and just climb the day after that. Put the route on Sanoodi if anyone's interested (search for Bristol).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#158 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 12:27:59 pm
You mean you'd take on another half really quickly?  Blimey.  I'm full of green phlegm, running must wait.  Sage tea 24/7 here mate.

webbo

• forum hero
#159 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 12:29:39 pm
Thanks for the knowledge, I'll experiment w/ this. 

(It's mostly in the hip I feel it afterwards - I get a clicking on a tendon, I think.  I do the stretch where one lies down with one leg crossed over the other and pulls back on the under leg w/ ones hands to draw the top leg towards your chest.  Seems to help, but I'll take on any stretches that you know might compliment this.)
i reckon if you were a horse we'd have shot you by now.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#160 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 12:34:36 pm
Don't you kill enough people in your Day job w/ out picking on poor athletes? 

webbo

• forum hero
#161 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 02:51:52 pm
alas no.its all about saving lives here on healths front line. :whistle:

Duma

• forum hero
#162 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 03:53:38 pm
You mean you'd take on another half really quickly?  Blimey.  I'm full of green phlegm, running must wait.  Sage tea 24/7 here mate.

No, I'll be doing a 6 mile quick run tonight after the long one on Mon, rest Tues, climb Wed, fingerboard this morning.
Running is a good way of getting colds.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#163 Re: One for the runners
February 14, 2008, 04:26:25 pm
Throat infection passed to me by from GF's work colleages, though I had thought I'd run myself into the ground . . .

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#164 Re: One for the runners
February 16, 2008, 05:12:55 pm
Todays run was intense.  Set out w/ a just keep going, nice and steady - or die.  (Got back from a club @ 5am and woke @ 10.30 stinking of Jagermeister  :whistle:)

Gmaps said just a smidge over 10 miles and made it in 90 mins dead.  Felt like death warmed-up for most of it. 

Ah . . .  seemed like a good idea at the time.    ::)

*looks around for a quiet spot to droop into coma-state*

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#165 Re: One for the runners
February 17, 2008, 11:56:24 pm
Went w/ this recovery run idea today:  30mins which started out quite fast for the first 10mins (don't know why - habit I guess) which dropped down to a plod for the remaining 20.

Feel reasonable, recall having no interest in doing more than 1/2 hr, mind. 

3 days rest before another run, though I'm getting an urge to get some speed-skipping in at some point too (feel I'm neglecting the top half a little).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#166 Re: One for the runners
February 18, 2008, 11:57:03 pm
Hot damn!  I feel like a King, no THE king after that recovery run! 

Recommended.   (Feel like I've new Ti hips!  8))

W H Y ?   What's the SCIENCE behing the recovery run?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#167 Re: One for the runners
February 20, 2008, 04:27:28 pm
Itchy feet today and went for an afternoon jog, again no pushing, just taking it easy and keeping moving:

My route on GMAPS

10m / 16Km  c. 85mins (bummer about running in the city is the constant start/stop due to traffic and lights plus the chore of weaving around people who've got no idea who I am and think they are free to get in my way as if they had their own lives to lead!  The stop/start plays havoc w/ my timing - using a stop watch now - and of course all the time wasted slowing down and speeding up.)

:furious:

Didn't feel too well fueled for this one.  Like I couldn't quite get up to full stream. 

Any advice on what one should be eating the night before and soon before this kind of exercise?  I had a wee bowl of Special K half an hour before and had 2/3 bottle of red last night which I know lowers ones blood sugar levels.  Had to run through a stitch (around the liver) in the last mile or so.

Fatleg

• addict
#168 Re: One for the runners
February 20, 2008, 05:02:23 pm
Maybe we should re-name this 'The Houdini training log ' You seem to be the only person who write on this thread.

webbo

• forum hero
#169 Re: One for the runners
February 20, 2008, 05:06:11 pm
when i had aspirations to be a sports climber i ran 10 miles 3 times a week.as i was trying to be thin i ran  on salad.
go you know you can do it.
i would be 4lb heavier the next day if i went on the piss.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#170 Re: One for the runners
February 20, 2008, 08:42:22 pm
Maybe we should re-name this 'The Houdini training log ' You seem to be the only person who write on this thread.

My training is much in excess of what appears here, to include all would send the wrong message, non?

(Boulderers are fundamentally lazy when it comes to cardio, mind.  This explains a lot.)

I really don't want to go down the salad route.  I like a good salad, but my salads drip expensive extra virgin oil, nuts, and all forms of cheese.

Duma trains his running too, don't forget.  And others.  I lost 1300g today.  That's from 69 down.  4lb is 2.4 Kg?  That's a lot.  T'other day I drank 1/2 bottle of red plus a whole bottle of port - minus the half glass I managed to punch in delerium over the white dulux behind the computer...  ...but when I'm radged I reach for the cheese on toast!  And go up to 60Kg (before my morning post-coffee poo of course).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:52:45 pm by Houdini, Reason: None of your business »

webbo

• forum hero
#171 Re: One for the runners
February 21, 2008, 08:59:52 am
i think you are running to far or for too long time wise.it seems you go out and do at least 11/2 hours every time you run.
try something a long these lines
m.30 mins
w.45 mins
th.30 mins
sat.90 mins
this would give you the chance to recover also to run the shorter distances/efforts at a faster speed.
the other thing to try is doing some intervals.find a track or football pitch do a fast lap then jog/walk a lap repeat until you go outside 10% of your first effort.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#172 Re: One for the runners
February 21, 2008, 10:20:36 am
Yessum Boss.

I'd given it some thought after Beef suggested it - but it really comes down to my boredom threshold and the need to feel all smiley after about an hour into a long run; I just don't get those feelings on short runs (I'm sure you know what I mean). 

I'm going to go w/ it though because the R hip joint hates me for not having orthotics yet and the long runs make me click a bit.

But back to food:  how would you fuel yourself for an short Iron Man?  Full glycogen reserves required I guess.

Interval laps:  by this 10% thing you mean.  Run a hard lap; stroll a lap;  run a hard lap (repeat this cycle) untill my times reach 1st lap + 10%.  Am I reading it right?

(I'm looking on GMAPS now to find a nice, long, unbroken route away from traffic lights:  not easy.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:25:53 am by Houdini »

webbo

• forum hero
#173 Re: One for the runners
February 21, 2008, 03:07:40 pm
your on the money with the 10% thing.
with regard to training diet re triathlon days.i tended to follow the advice of dave scott who was the leading light of the day.it was veggie,high carb,low fat,medium protein.
lots of fruit,pulses,pasta,wholemeal pasta, brown rice,cottage cheese plus lots of salad and veggies.he used to recommend a tortilla stuffed with onions,peppers,letuce,cottage cheese and hot sauce.
i found it hard to stick to this long term so tended to go on it for a couple of weeks before a race.

Fatleg

• addict
#174 Re: One for the runners
February 27, 2008, 07:26:30 pm
Cross country shoes - anyone got any recommendations? Was thinking of some inov-8 any thoughts appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal