UKBouldering.com

Bunion but not a bunion? (Read 482 times)

Lopez

• stalker
Bunion but not a bunion?
Yesterday at 09:13:43 pm
Having made it through several decades of climbing without feet issues despite my best attempts (hello 90's and wearing Lasers 3 sizes too small) now that i'm more into comfier shoes i seem to have developed 'something'.

Drawing a blank on Google and there's only so many photos of malformed toes i can bare to watch, so checking if someone has had something similar and can help me ID.

Will save you all from posting a pic, but it's like a hard lump, possibly bony?, on the second knuckle of the little toe. Kind of top and side of it if it makes sense. Pretty painfull under pressure as well when wearing climbing shoes.

First noticed it when breaking in new shoes few months ago, and only really realised recently that it wasn't the right shoe taking a hell of a lot longer to break in than the left one did, but that there was 'something' in my toe that shouldn't be there and it's getting bigger.

Thought it'd be a bunion at first but turns out it isn't as bunions form on a different joint apparently. Can't find anything about something of the like developing at the second knuckle.

Any ideas anyone?

Scouse D

• forum hero
#1 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Yesterday at 09:34:27 pm
Sounds almost certainly like a ganglion cyst. I am however, a doctor of chemistry not medicine.

Lopez

• stalker
#2 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Yesterday at 10:05:25 pm
Ah, i was so focused in thinking it bone/hard tissue related and/or from wearing tight shoes that cysts didn't even occur to me.

I'll do some searching see if that's the likely culprit.

Thanks for that

stone

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 06:40:19 am
I've got what I think is a ganglion cyst on my toe but it isn't bone like. I can squish it flat and it then fills up again. It's not a problem. I've had it for years.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 10:21:59 am
Very hard to compare, but…
I started to develop a lump, at the MTP of the big toe on my right foot along with some “aching” type pain.
Initially it seemed fleshy - cartilaginous.
What I didn’t realise and only did as it progressed, that lump was inflammation over the root cause.
Now, almost ten years later, I have a pronounced, boney, lump and often considerable pain.
Bone spurs! Arthritis, essentially.
Halux Rigidus and probably the result of a frostbite some 30 plus years ago.
Bugger doesn’t half chafe on flip flops and stubbing the fucker has resulted in a few new words in the English language to make Shakespeare blush. Fuchenbassardcunwancaarggh, being one.
Climbing shoes are a problem (as is smearing) but downturned shoes are the best.
I was told it would hamper my running/hiking/load bearing marches; but it hasn’t, really.
Safety shoes are an arse with it and I prefer soft uppers on any shoe I intend to spend a long time wearing.
Anyway, get it x-rayed.
How any of that relates to your Pinky…🤷‍♂️

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 10:54:16 am
I was going to suggest Halux Rigidus too. Running mate has recently been diagnosed with it, or possibly Ledderhose if you have any signs of Duputren's in your hands, but that is usually under your foot I think.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 11:43:07 am
Hallux Rigidus is stiff big toe, this is a lump on his little toe. I'm still going for ganglion cyst. Keep us in the loop #amateurpodiatryclub  :popcorn:

Scouse D

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 11:46:51 am
Might put a side bet on Corn. Corns can get sore despite the daft name.
https://www.chiropody.co.uk/what-we-treat/skin-problems/corns.php

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 12:10:39 pm
Hallux Rigidus is stiff big toe, this is a lump on his little toe. I'm still going for ganglion cyst. Keep us in the loop #amateurpodiatryclub  :popcorn:
Yes.
But you can get a “bone spur” on any joint. I think I was told it’s most common on the big toe, because it takes a lot of punishment/use over a life time and carries a lot of load (bit like hips, knees).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 01:29:23 pm
I'm still going for ganglion cyst.

If so, I recommend the traditional treatment of hitting it with a bible. (not really, but would like to see what would happen out of morbid curiosity)

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 03:00:31 pm
I'm still going for ganglion cyst.

If so, I recommend the traditional treatment of hitting it with a bible. (not really, but would like to see what would happen out of morbid curiosity)
Doesn’t it have be a King James Bible not just any old one.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Bunion but not a bunion?
Today at 03:24:39 pm
I had heard that, but have insufficient evidence based on clinical trials. I know someone who make one on her hand burst / disappear when she hit a volleyball.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal