UKBouldering.com

wrist pain (Read 1700 times)

haydn jones

• forum hero
wrist pain
September 07, 2024, 10:38:50 am
I am getting wrist pain. I've dotted on my wrist the painful area whilst abducting my wrist.

Addiction doesn't really hurt but does feel weird/make the joint feels loose.

Flexion and extension feels fine

Anyone have any experience with rehabing this injury/any ideas what I've most likely injured?

I'm pretty sure I picked the injury up from doing a gaston move with the right where I have to roll over with my left hand into a high under cut up and right of me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: wrist pain
September 07, 2024, 12:05:29 pm

Addiction doesn't really hurt but does feel weird/make the joint feels loose.

Looking forward to rest of the lyrics of this lost Kurt Cobain song

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: wrist pain
September 08, 2024, 08:20:06 am
I don't, but would suggest you see someone. I previously hurt my wrist and thought it was my TFCC but that (self) diagnosis (after looking at Highlander's book) turned out to be slightly off. It was an absolute b*tch of an injury actually and was definitely a contributing factor to doing less and less climbing.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: wrist pain
September 08, 2024, 10:21:16 am
I too did the self diagnosis and thought TFCC, bought a couple of those wrist supports which did nothing. Eventually saw my GP and had an X-ray, turned out to be arthritis.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: wrist pain
September 08, 2024, 04:29:54 pm
I don't know. Not typical TFCC. How long ago did you injure yourself? Is it improving?

haydn jones

• forum hero
#5 Re: wrist pain
September 09, 2024, 12:58:39 pm
had a big session on Tuesday evening and woke up on Wednesday to it hurting. had been feeling weird for awhile though for example clicking when chopping things on a chopping board.

The pain seems to have shifted to a specific spot now, when I push on it, it feels very sore and bruised.

Been trying to find a physio but not sure who I to trust, I've had bad experiences with some physios coming across as snake oil merchants. messaged Tom Davison, next to the climb labs but he has no availability till October. im open to suggestions. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: wrist pain
September 09, 2024, 02:27:48 pm

northern yob

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: wrist pain
September 09, 2024, 05:39:23 pm
I’ll happily second SA Chris’s recommendation…Andy at processphysiotherapy is good, I’ve used various people over many years for various aches, pains and niggles, never anything super serious, but I’ve had various physio experiences.

He’s excellent, super pragmatic and ultimately a climber so understands where you are coming from. He works out of boulderuk a day or so a week, so you can get a session in too!

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: wrist pain
September 09, 2024, 07:03:20 pm
I’ll happily second SA Chris’s recommendation…Andy at processphysiotherapy is good, I’ve used various people over many years for various aches, pains and niggles, never anything super serious, but I’ve had various physio experiences.

He’s excellent, super pragmatic and ultimately a climber so understands where you are coming from. He works out of boulderuk a day or so a week, so you can get a session in too!

I would highly recommend Andy as well. He does remote sessions too (no different to seeing him in person in my experience) which is handy if you don’t want to travel.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: wrist pain
September 09, 2024, 11:48:03 pm

PeteHukb

• player
#10 Re: wrist pain
September 10, 2024, 09:13:37 am

I would highly recommend Andy as well.

This is rapidly turning into a Biscuit appreciation thread, but I'll add my +1 for Andy - well worth driving over an hour to see him in person for my bad shoulder. I'm one of those silly people who thought he could sort his own rehab for a SLAP tear by some googling (plus some medical knowledge), but after 3 months of little progress with this approach, then seeing Andy once, he was able to give me targeted exercises that made almost instantaneous improvements to my range of motion and pain. Who knew that years of training and clinical experience counted for something?!

Dolly

• forum hero
#11 Re: wrist pain
September 10, 2024, 11:02:54 am
James at Sheffield climbing clinic. Sorted out my wrist

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal