UKBouldering.com

Back strain/pain (Read 2387 times)

ds

Back strain/pain
December 27, 2007, 07:33:40 pm
Hi all,

noob here.  Was out bouldering today and got such a cramp type pain in my back, have felt it before on the morning after a particularly strenuous session but ive been on my arse for the past few days eating and watching telly.  Anyone had similar?  Still quite sore at the minute :(

Thanks for any help
ds

Dr T

• forum hero
#1 Re: Back strain/pain
December 27, 2007, 07:54:21 pm
is the cramp running down into a leg?
does it sometimes escalate into a shot of pain?

Hopefully not but if it does then you may have slipped a disc, if so you certainly need physio

It's worth being careful anyway and getting a good physio to have a check, I had lower back and leg "cramp" that was misdiagnosed by 2 doc's and a chiropractor and eventually the disc herniated...

if you're sheffield based then there's a free diagnosis clinic at the works every week or so I think...

hope it all clears up and I'm just being overly pessimistic...

ds

#2 Re: Back strain/pain
December 27, 2007, 08:09:25 pm
Def doesnt go down into leg, was only lower to mid back, did escalate into a shot of pain sometimes.  Went for a dander when it got bad and the movement seemed to loosen it up, bouldered for a wee while after the walk and the pain was there just less than before.

Thanks for the quick reply and for the info on the works, im based in belfast, northern ireland though :(

Off now will be back in few hours
ds 

ds

#3 Re: Back strain/pain
December 27, 2007, 11:59:43 pm
Just back from 'I am legend' <- excellent movie, definitely recommend it.

Pain still there, not as sharp as 1st (pre walkabout pain) just a sort of dull pain.  Got a tightness in the chest tonight there, hoping its not related and guessing its there from doing good bit overhanging stuff earlier today...

ds

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Back strain/pain
December 28, 2007, 08:46:12 am
I'd see a physio mate. I was getting some quite bad lower back pain and a pain in my right elbow which I thought was unconnected but had to be to do with climbing. Turns out it was nothing to do with climbing and all to do with how I sit and use a mouse at work and how I don't use my hips enough when bending to pick things up etc. There is no way I could have got this diagnosed without a physio seeing me personally (and he clocked the problem within about a minute of me sitting down). A week later and both problems are virtually gone with just a few simple adjustments to how I do things. Best £40 I've ever spent.

If this problem has happened before then it's probably not just going to go away and you could be making it worse without realising. See a physio.  :)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Back strain/pain
December 28, 2007, 09:02:55 am
Whoa there pardner!

What makes you so sure it's not beri-beri?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: Back strain/pain
December 28, 2007, 12:46:35 pm
I'd see a physio mate. I was getting some quite bad lower back pain and a pain in my right elbow which I thought was unconnected but had to be to do with climbing. Turns out it was nothing to do with climbing and all to do with how I sit and use a mouse at work and how I don't use my hips enough when bending to pick things up etc. There is no way I could have got this diagnosed without a physio seeing me personally (and he clocked the problem within about a minute of me sitting down). A week later and both problems are virtually gone with just a few simple adjustments to how I do things. Best £40 I've ever spent.

If this problem has happened before then it's probably not just going to go away and you could be making it worse without realising. See a physio.  :)

:agree:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Back strain/pain
January 01, 2008, 01:28:03 am
I could be down to an ill-fitting bra

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#8 Re: Back strain/pain
January 01, 2008, 02:23:44 pm
 :wall:

Gentlemen, the patient has scrofula.

ds

#9 Re: Back strain/pain
January 02, 2008, 02:30:35 am
Pulled muscle!!! woohoo, glad its not more serious. physios advice was rest till it doesn't hurt anymore, too bad I have to pass up on all that training i had planned and nurse a hangover instead   :pissed:

hope you all had a good new years!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal