UKBouldering.com

porth ysgo conditions (Read 3312 times)

Jerry Morefat

• addict
porth ysgo conditions
December 19, 2007, 03:17:52 pm
Was wondering what porth ysgo was like this time of year? Is it only worth a look on sunny days and even then in the afternoon, after the sun has burnt off any 'soapyness'?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 19, 2007, 04:41:37 pm
Best time of year for it, still usually boiling if the sum comes out though. Just avoid big swell days as the spray gets on the rock

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#2 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 19, 2007, 05:29:50 pm
Here's a link to the swell conditions forecast for Hells Mouth..

http://magicseaweed.com/Hells-Mouth-Surf-Report/27/

Webcams and morning beach shots here http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk/surfreport.htm

Conditions at Ysgo are best when there's any wind from the East or North East (IMHO that is...)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#3 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 20, 2007, 12:52:27 am
Don't forget to check the tides too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/tides/tides.shtml?date=20071220&loc=0482A

They're a few hours out from Holyhead, and a bit more out from Llandudno. I've once forgotten to check, and lo and behold... it was high tide at 1pm! Fucking waste of time! There's almost always something climbable, but low tide at 1-2pm is best.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 20, 2007, 09:31:42 am
Drew, there's a tide chart on the Seaweed page and its for Aberdaron so there's no need to calculate the Holyhead difference. (Its a nice little graph at the top of the charts)

Jerry Morefat

• addict
#5 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 20, 2007, 05:07:58 pm
cheers for the beta guys, I wasn't expecting it to be so detailed! I know it sounds really pikey but is there an online topo, apart from the porth ysgo sample page of the north wales bouldering guide? My local climbing shop has run out of copies and I won't have time to have one sent to me.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#6 Re: porth ysgo conditions
December 20, 2007, 06:14:17 pm
There aren't any topos online but you could get a copy of the NWB guide in Llanberis - both of the climbing shops there (V12, Joe Brown) are open 7 days a week.

Failing that, just look it up on a map or Google Earth and go and explore yourself - most of the good problems are obvious, and after all this amazing weather will no doubt be well chalked.

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#7 Re: porth ysgo conditions
January 30, 2008, 03:05:40 pm
was at the ysgo on sunday. was in good nick, if a little hot. well worth gettin in a visit soon before the temps get hot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal