UKBouldering.com

lumpy finger (Read 7453 times)

webbo

• forum hero
lumpy finger
December 18, 2007, 08:43:05 am
i have aquired a strange lump on the distal interphalangeal joint [the end joint] of my right fore finger.this started off with a burning pain usually the day after climbing.doesn't hurt when pulling hard either crimping or open handing.
the joint is noticably bigger than said joint on other hand,it doesn't appear to be soft tissue swelling just a boney lump.
any ideas,gout? although i haven't hit the port for some time.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#1 Re: lumpy finger
December 18, 2007, 08:45:08 am
I've got one of these on the middle joint of my middle finger on my right hand that appeared very quickly over the summer - it's still there and shows no signs of going.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: lumpy finger
December 18, 2007, 11:17:04 am
have you been writing a lot recently?

I'm guessing but it might be gout, or the onset of arthritis? I have really lumpy knuckles anyway; my fingers look like a handful of twiglets.  Great for finger jamming.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: lumpy finger
December 18, 2007, 11:33:58 am
have you been writing wanking a lot recently?

Nope...

This is more like a cyst - it doesn't hurt unless I press it, but I am thinking it might be an RSI related thing from typing.

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: lumpy finger
December 18, 2007, 11:39:04 am
have you been writing a lot recently?
i don't think so especially as the goverment have taken steps to reduce the amount of paper work done by nurses. :wall:

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#5 Re: lumpy finger
January 03, 2008, 05:31:31 pm
Sounds a lot like the lump i've found on mine. Same finger same joint.

I was reliably informed this xmas, by the family physio (gf's sister - free physio  :thumbsup:), that it is caused by ligament damage.
The lump itself is 'soft bone' which the body produces in response to the aggravated ligament.
If you feel pain, or hear/feel a click at the joint when you try and bend it sideways, this is the most likely diagnosis.
The ligament damage is caused by lateral movement or loading of the joint. When you crimp, that finger 'rolls' over towards the other fingers, crushing the inside joint. So try not to full, or even half-crimp on it.

I was shown a method of taping with a strip running up either side of the finger and then bands either side of the joint to hold them in place.
It seems pretty ineffective in terms of support really, but i've been doing it anyway.

Was also instructed to ice it after climbing to lessen any swelling and prevent further build up of soft bone.
The soft bone already produced will reduce once the inital injury is cured.

And last but not least - rest it.

Of course, i'm not a physio myself, so take the usual kilo or two of salt with this diagnosis and go see a real one.

dr blowfin

#6 Re: lumpy finger
January 03, 2008, 08:42:34 pm
hmmm that sounds suspiciously like my ailment too...bony lump on top/side of DIP joint on middle finger and also smaller one on index finger. quite painful to crimp - the lump doesnt like hyper extending the joint at all....most sessions now end with my fingers on that hand throbbing.

have been icing it since day one and it never really seemed to do much.... i've now had it for about a year and a half  :( 2 physios have failed in any way to diagnose it and i was considering a trip to sheffield to find a magic all knowing climbing physio to diagnose it. have even tried 2 months off with no difference....i'm still hoping there's some way back to normality but am doubtful at this stage.

webbo

• forum hero
#7 Re: lumpy finger
January 04, 2008, 01:16:02 pm
the soft bone thing sounds about right although it doesn't feel soft.
rest!!!!! i usually try to between climbing.
i've tried that taping method on other finger injuries and found it fairly ineffective.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#8 Re: lumpy finger
January 05, 2008, 10:03:31 am

The lump itself is 'soft bone' which the body produces in response to the aggravated ligament.

I have a lump that sounds very much like this on my little finger, and after ready this thread its appearence coincides with a minor injury on a route early last year!

NO pain, does not affect my climbing, its just a boney lump called Jeff.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#9 Re: lumpy finger
January 05, 2008, 11:11:57 am
My Mum and Dad came for tea last night and tried to convince me that I all I had to do was let them hit it very hard with a big heavy book..  :o

"That's what we did in our day.." blah blah blah...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: lumpy finger
January 05, 2008, 09:19:00 pm
That's the treatment for a ganglion. Not the same thing? Apparently works though.

webbo

• forum hero
#11 Re: lumpy finger
January 06, 2008, 09:51:21 pm
and isn't it supposed to be a copy of king james bible you hit it with.

rasheed

• regular
#12 Re: lumpy finger
January 07, 2008, 07:44:07 am
poisonous chakra, abandon it to the sands of time and pray for its soul

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 Re: lumpy finger
January 18, 2008, 09:03:17 am
Lumpdate...

Mine has miraculously disapeared over the last two days.  I've been surfing in Yorkshire and Northumberland and I've either wacked it on my board or the reef or the cold water has stimulated something.  Either way the lump is gone...  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal