UKBouldering.com

Injured fore finger (Read 2247 times)

Goose

Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 11:24:35 am
I think I may have injured my hand properly for the first time and was hoping for a bit of advice.
I've had a trawl over the classic A2 pulley injury thread and had a quick scout online but was hoping I could get a bit of clear quick simple advice here.
I have injured the middle finger of my left hand at the joint where it moves from being palm to being hand, there a gristly bump that that sits just in front of the joint itself and is seriously sore to touch. I've stopped training for the past week, I've tried the ice baths/hot bath techniques as previously mentioned on other threads and I've tried to use a grip master to lightly work it to get it to ease however it's not improving and I can't get a docs appointment til week after next so anything that could tide me over better than the solid advice from friends of 'suck it up you p*ssy and take ibuprofen' would be greatly appreciated.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#1 Re: Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 11:26:41 am
I have injured the middle finger of my left hand at the joint where it moves from being palm to being hand, there a gristly bump that that sits just in front of the joint itself and is seriously sore to touch.

That's your MCP (metacarpophalangeal) joint if that helps.
Dupuytren's strikes again?
My advise is the same as ever.  Go see someone that knows.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#2 Re: Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 11:41:48 am
Ice bath every night. Stay off the gripmaster.
It should feel a bit better after about a week or two(not really a long time is it?). I reckon then start some easy sessions down the wall just to get blood flowing.
I still swear by them icebaths though. I've had a lot of finger injuries and they really do speed up recovery.
Water and ice in a bowl, hold both hands in for 10 mins (hurts), then sit back and feel the blood-a-pumpin.
(message to Dave: I know I never follow this advice myself but it should work I reckon)

Goose

#3 Re: Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 12:55:24 pm
GCW and Scouse D you're both scholars and gents, I will make the effort to keep my hand submeged in the ice bath longer as I doubt I've managed more than three or four minutes tops and await my doc's appointment with fingers on my right hand crossed.
Ta guys.

dave

#4 Re: Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 12:58:14 pm
seriously, it well worthing listening to scouse's injury advice so you can eliminate these treatments from your enquiries.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#5 Re: Injured fore finger
November 29, 2007, 04:17:46 pm
To keep your hand in te ice for longer I recommend watching Dosage 1,2,3 or 4 at the same time. The psyche will get you through it easy.

Goose

#6 Re: Injured fore finger
November 30, 2007, 12:38:42 pm
Having used the ice bath technique and stuck it out for the ten minutes solid I feel marginally more manly, the only thing that got me through it was a mate sitting on the sofa with an eye on the watch berating me whenever I moaned about how cold it was, after about 7 minutes though I lost just about all sensation so it got easier, thanks again guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal