UKBouldering.com

Where's "Hella"? (Read 8940 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#25 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 10:31:19 am
You'll find that price is more like £6.50-8.00 in Stavanger harbour, especially around Oil Show time. I (ashamedly) worked on the set design for Total with one of my relatives back in 04. You will never find such a high concentration of the worlds wealthiest people. Pretty sickening.

As an aside, I was beavering away in the workshop one day next door to the climbing wall when I looked outside and saw Steve McClure. Pretty strange moment.

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 08:13:30 pm
Why is there so much taboo around oil companies? It's as if working for shell makes you the devil incarnate...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 08:45:34 pm
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil. I guess most folk study geology (I know I did) cos they are interested in the landscape and how its made up. To then go and dig it up, build hideous plant all over it and directly contribute to THE global warming industry makes most feel a little as if they are selling their soul... not that driving a car makes you any less responsible.

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:05:44 pm
Obviously in geology it's different as that's where the money is but for non-geological types, there seems to be a social stigma, if you work with oil, you're pure evil and responsible for killing polar bears and not giving your children a future etc., but why does there have to be? The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#29 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:12:20 pm
Dave... its more like £5 for a half pint. 

Hella looks like the area around Bergen to me. Chris Hamper of the hang lives around there and the climbing is ace when its not pissing with rain.

Andy P - When you go to Bergen, head for the bar in the basement of the SAS Radission in the square (not the one by the Briggen) on a Thursday night.  Me and mate from work dived in there for a pint one night after work and I swear it was like the Carlsberg advert on the telly.  It was full, and I mean chock full of the fittest women you have ever seen in your life and they luurrve to talk to shy english types.  :beer2:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#30 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:50:14 pm
Oh aye it wasn't a conventional pint was it. Around the half pint mark as FD says. 'Tau' I think is the name of the local beer (so named after the island) Check spelling and definitely check out the drink.

AndyR

• forum hero
#31 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 03:46:31 am
Obviously in geology it's different as that's where the money is but for non-geological types, there seems to be a social stigma, if you work with oil, you're pure evil and responsible for killing polar bears and not giving your children a future etc., but why does there have to be? The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...
In geology right now, I'd say the money is in mining.

Stubbs

#32 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 08:49:41 am
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil.

Looking at all the people who did my degree course I'd say the two main choices are Environmental Consultancy and Oil, there's very few full time academic posts.

Andi - Wiki some of the main oil companies and look at human rights violations etc, then you'll see why people have beef with oil companies.

dave

#33 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 09:08:11 am
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil.

Looking at all the people who did my degree course I'd say the two main choices are Environmental Consultancy and Oil, there's very few full time academic posts.

don't forget natural gas.

andy popp

• forum hero
#34 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:05:39 am
Andy P - When you go to Bergen, head for the bar in the basement of the SAS Radission in the square (not the one by the Briggen) on a Thursday night.  Me and mate from work dived in there for a pint one night after work and I swear it was like the Carlsberg advert on the telly.  It was full, and I mean chock full of the fittest women you have ever seen in your life and they luurrve to talk to shy english types.  :beer2:

Good knowledge!

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:32:48 am
Andi - Wiki some of the main oil companies and look at human rights violations etc, then you'll see why people have beef with oil companies.

Wikipedia- a highly accurate source of information  ;)

Leeds University Union don't sell Nestle products because of their human rights violaions. Fair enough, the stereotypical eco-rah student would love the union, which is fine, except I want smarties  >:(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:45:07 am

Wikipedia- a highly accurate source of information  ;)

Why are you always so quick to disparage?

If you don't trust wiki's (not specifically wikipedia) then search a bit wider, the various stories at Amnesty are likely to be fairly reputable/accurate.

Nigeria
Sudan1 Sudan2
Columbia
Chad & Cameroon

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:52:04 am
Leeds University Union don't sell Nestle products because of their human rights violaions. Fair enough, the stereotypical eco-rah student would love the union, which is fine, except I want smarties  >:(

And the relevance is?

Also prove the wiki as being wrong, based on your vast experience of most things. Any information written anywhere is based on the opinions of the writer.

andy_e

• forum hero
#38 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:06:05 am
Oil company human rights violations and nestle human rights violations...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#39 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:15:30 am
And you give a fuck about neither. Fine. Go work for an oil company if you like but don't try to justify their actions as it's not going to work.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#40 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:24:09 am
You can't have your Smarties and eat them.

BenF

• forum hero
#41 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 12:44:26 pm
The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative) but we don't need to agree with the way in which oil companies operate.  We don't really have the choice not to be dependent upon oil, but we do have the choice to campaign and argue against the way these companies provide their product.

AndyR

• forum hero
#42 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 05:45:21 am

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative)
We'll need oil for a long time to keep Webbo in paraffin to clean his bike parts....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:13:08 am
We don't really have the choice not to be dependent upon oil, but we do have the choice to campaign and argue against the way these companies provide their product.

None are good, but we do have a choice over which ones are worse than others. Get biodiesel where you can and
http://www.stopesso.com/why.php

BenF

• forum hero
#44 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:17:11 am
Yeah, I realise that there are alternatives around but as an overall global economy, we are still dependent upon oil without any large scale alternatives for the myriad of uses that we require. 

Personally I only use peanut butter. 

Note the difference in my statement to "I use peanut butter personally".

Stubbs

#45 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:49:01 am
Get biodiesel where you can and

Biodiesel doesn't present any sort of answer above a small scale and is leading to problems of its own http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/aug/22/guardiansocietysupplement.environment

webbo

• forum hero
#46 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 09:29:57 am

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative)
We'll need oil for a long time to keep Webbo in paraffin to clean his bike parts....

i've been tempted to use it to clean my other parts but that would really piss the missus off.

BenF

• forum hero
#47 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 02:06:52 pm
i've been tempted to use it to clean my other parts but that would really piss the missus off.

Have you tried peanut butter?

AndyR

• forum hero
#48 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:29:39 pm

It'd stop them getting rusty though...

Stoat

• regular
  • Would you like to come back and look at my cock?
#49 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 10:04:56 pm
Haven't smoked oil for years. Where you all getting it? It's a bit messy, but you laugh your tits off. :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal