UKBouldering.com

Where's "Hella"? (Read 8986 times)

mark

• forum abuser
Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 09:59:27 am
Anyone know where this is? The photo was up on 8a with the caption "Acrobat 7a+ (Hella)".

BenF

• forum hero
#1 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 10:49:47 am
I don't know but it looks fantastic.  I did quick search on Google (as I'm sure you did) and found nothing except people saying stuff like "the bouldering was good man, did one one hella cool problem... etc etc."

dave

#2 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 11:23:35 am
sweden or iceland or some shit?

BenF

• forum hero
#3 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 04:14:19 pm
Well that narrows it down Dave.   ;) Erm, somewhere by the sea...  with rocks...  and plants...

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 04:26:09 pm
with rocks...

Well there's sedimentary structures in there.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 04:53:26 pm
Looks a bit like Gothenburg way? maybe post on jug.nu and ask that lot?

mark

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 06:13:32 pm
Yup, Ben, I did the same and encountered a million pages of Americans raving about hella cool problems. jug.nu is a good idea as I reckon dave is right and it is probably Swizzle or Izzle, perhaps even Nizzle or Fizzle. Probably not Dizzle as I believe they have very little rock. Check me, I'm so down.

Runt, good idea. I'm hoping it is Gothenburg. My wife lived there for a while and would like to visit again. If there is much climbing like this problem in the area then I'm keen.

andi, are you a geologimator? What rock type do you reckon? Looks a lot like grit to me.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#7 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 06:56:07 pm
The guy in the picture is from Norway, his name is at the top of the picture.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 07:59:35 pm
Only one result for Hella on google Earth.  Norway.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 08:14:10 pm

Panorama here (requires java)

Looks rocky and by water so could be the same place.

mark

• forum abuser
#10 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 08:25:39 pm
Thanks guys. Looks a gorgeous place though not anywhere near where I hoped it was.

Dolly, if you read this, you were in Norway last summer, weren't you? Anywhere near this?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 08:35:02 pm
You a Scout then Bubbs?  Dib dib dib.....

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#12 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 08:41:18 pm
From first hand experience, Norway has millions of undeveloped blocs. I saw rock for miles around Haugesund when travelling from Stavanger to there. Get your arses on a cheap flight and go explore.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 08:52:41 pm
You a Scout then Bubbs?  Dib dib dib.....

My secret is out

BenF

• forum hero
#14 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 09:53:40 pm
Maybe you should set up a UKB Scout Troop.  We could all be in your patrol.  And wear neckchiefs and woggles.

andy_e

• forum hero
#15 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 24, 2007, 10:20:33 pm
andi, are you a geologimator? What rock type do you reckon? Looks a lot like grit to me.

I pretend to be. I know fuck all about sedimentary rocks (unless there's a great big fault running through them  ;D)

I reckon it's a coarse sandstone too, but those lighter-coloured inter-beds look calcareous and much finer grained...

Dolly

• forum hero
#16 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 26, 2007, 10:14:51 pm
Dolly, if you read this, you were in Norway last summer, weren't you? Anywhere near this?

No 'fraid not. Mind you there's so much rock there like Monolith says, I wouldn't get too concerned about searching out a particular area TBH. I couldn't find either of the 2 areas from the Norwegian bouldering site which were meant to be near where we were staying but found some good blocs just in the forest. 2 minutes brushing and I was away

AndyR

• forum hero
#17 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 26, 2007, 10:52:19 pm

Looks like a fine grained sandstone to me, with thin partings of mudstone at the bedding planes - some possible load casts/tooling marks on the lower bedding surfaces (assuming rocks are right way up) - I reckon a greywacke - similar to the rocks that make up wicklow head and quite a few bits of central wales.
Looks nice.

andy popp

• forum hero
#18 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 07:51:44 am
I'm not sure about the panorama - that lake is completely surrounded by hills but there are none in the background to Mark's photo -besides I couldn't stop it turning and it made my head feel funny. I'm going to Bergen for a conference next summer and a friend there who know some climbers has promised to hool me up with the locals. Anyone been round that part?

dave

#19 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 08:46:53 am
From first hand experience, Norway has millions of undeveloped blocs. I saw rock for miles around Haugesund when travelling from Stavanger to there. Get your arses on a cheap flight and go explore.

i've got a mate who'll be working in stavanger next year which bodes well for me going over there at some point. Looking forward to a nice £5 pint.

andy popp

• forum hero
#20 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 09:10:32 am
Only one result for Hella on google Earth.  Norway.

However, there's also a Hella Point (complete with climbing) just south of Chair Ladder.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#21 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 09:32:53 am
Looking forward to a nice £5 pint.

off to london?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 09:39:05 am

You won't have to leave the country soon if the brewers forecasts are anything to go by Beer Price Warning.

dave

#23 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 27, 2007, 09:54:55 am

off to london?

not while i've got a breath of life in me!

nash1

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 07:16:39 am
Here's the guide to the area around Stavanger...
http://www.buldreinfo.com/forer.php

Not sure you guys found Hella, it looks more on the coast than on a fjord, and it looks like it is around Bergen... There is quite a lot around there, I will ask some lads from up that wat to confirm...

Monolith

• forum hero
#25 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 10:31:19 am
You'll find that price is more like £6.50-8.00 in Stavanger harbour, especially around Oil Show time. I (ashamedly) worked on the set design for Total with one of my relatives back in 04. You will never find such a high concentration of the worlds wealthiest people. Pretty sickening.

As an aside, I was beavering away in the workshop one day next door to the climbing wall when I looked outside and saw Steve McClure. Pretty strange moment.

andy_e

• forum hero
#26 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 08:13:30 pm
Why is there so much taboo around oil companies? It's as if working for shell makes you the devil incarnate...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#27 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 08:45:34 pm
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil. I guess most folk study geology (I know I did) cos they are interested in the landscape and how its made up. To then go and dig it up, build hideous plant all over it and directly contribute to THE global warming industry makes most feel a little as if they are selling their soul... not that driving a car makes you any less responsible.

andy_e

• forum hero
#28 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:05:44 pm
Obviously in geology it's different as that's where the money is but for non-geological types, there seems to be a social stigma, if you work with oil, you're pure evil and responsible for killing polar bears and not giving your children a future etc., but why does there have to be? The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#29 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:12:20 pm
Dave... its more like £5 for a half pint. 

Hella looks like the area around Bergen to me. Chris Hamper of the hang lives around there and the climbing is ace when its not pissing with rain.

Andy P - When you go to Bergen, head for the bar in the basement of the SAS Radission in the square (not the one by the Briggen) on a Thursday night.  Me and mate from work dived in there for a pint one night after work and I swear it was like the Carlsberg advert on the telly.  It was full, and I mean chock full of the fittest women you have ever seen in your life and they luurrve to talk to shy english types.  :beer2:

Monolith

• forum hero
#30 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 28, 2007, 09:50:14 pm
Oh aye it wasn't a conventional pint was it. Around the half pint mark as FD says. 'Tau' I think is the name of the local beer (so named after the island) Check spelling and definitely check out the drink.

AndyR

• forum hero
#31 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 03:46:31 am
Obviously in geology it's different as that's where the money is but for non-geological types, there seems to be a social stigma, if you work with oil, you're pure evil and responsible for killing polar bears and not giving your children a future etc., but why does there have to be? The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...
In geology right now, I'd say the money is in mining.

Stubbs

#32 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 08:49:41 am
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil.

Looking at all the people who did my degree course I'd say the two main choices are Environmental Consultancy and Oil, there's very few full time academic posts.

Andi - Wiki some of the main oil companies and look at human rights violations etc, then you'll see why people have beef with oil companies.

dave

#33 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 09:08:11 am
Well you're doing a geology degree, you've probably realised there are two main career choices for you, academia or oil.

Looking at all the people who did my degree course I'd say the two main choices are Environmental Consultancy and Oil, there's very few full time academic posts.

don't forget natural gas.

andy popp

• forum hero
#34 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:05:39 am
Andy P - When you go to Bergen, head for the bar in the basement of the SAS Radission in the square (not the one by the Briggen) on a Thursday night.  Me and mate from work dived in there for a pint one night after work and I swear it was like the Carlsberg advert on the telly.  It was full, and I mean chock full of the fittest women you have ever seen in your life and they luurrve to talk to shy english types.  :beer2:

Good knowledge!

andy_e

• forum hero
#35 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:32:48 am
Andi - Wiki some of the main oil companies and look at human rights violations etc, then you'll see why people have beef with oil companies.

Wikipedia- a highly accurate source of information  ;)

Leeds University Union don't sell Nestle products because of their human rights violaions. Fair enough, the stereotypical eco-rah student would love the union, which is fine, except I want smarties  >:(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:45:07 am

Wikipedia- a highly accurate source of information  ;)

Why are you always so quick to disparage?

If you don't trust wiki's (not specifically wikipedia) then search a bit wider, the various stories at Amnesty are likely to be fairly reputable/accurate.

Nigeria
Sudan1 Sudan2
Columbia
Chad & Cameroon

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#37 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 10:52:04 am
Leeds University Union don't sell Nestle products because of their human rights violaions. Fair enough, the stereotypical eco-rah student would love the union, which is fine, except I want smarties  >:(

And the relevance is?

Also prove the wiki as being wrong, based on your vast experience of most things. Any information written anywhere is based on the opinions of the writer.

andy_e

• forum hero
#38 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:06:05 am
Oil company human rights violations and nestle human rights violations...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#39 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:15:30 am
And you give a fuck about neither. Fine. Go work for an oil company if you like but don't try to justify their actions as it's not going to work.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#40 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 11:24:09 am
You can't have your Smarties and eat them.

BenF

• forum hero
#41 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 29, 2007, 12:44:26 pm
The world needs oil still, and surely working in exploration is good, because you're stopping the world from grinding to a halt when the known reserves run out...

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative) but we don't need to agree with the way in which oil companies operate.  We don't really have the choice not to be dependent upon oil, but we do have the choice to campaign and argue against the way these companies provide their product.

AndyR

• forum hero
#42 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 05:45:21 am

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative)
We'll need oil for a long time to keep Webbo in paraffin to clean his bike parts....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:13:08 am
We don't really have the choice not to be dependent upon oil, but we do have the choice to campaign and argue against the way these companies provide their product.

None are good, but we do have a choice over which ones are worse than others. Get biodiesel where you can and
http://www.stopesso.com/why.php

BenF

• forum hero
#44 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:17:11 am
Yeah, I realise that there are alternatives around but as an overall global economy, we are still dependent upon oil without any large scale alternatives for the myriad of uses that we require. 

Personally I only use peanut butter. 

Note the difference in my statement to "I use peanut butter personally".

Stubbs

#45 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:49:01 am
Get biodiesel where you can and

Biodiesel doesn't present any sort of answer above a small scale and is leading to problems of its own http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/aug/22/guardiansocietysupplement.environment

webbo

• forum hero
#46 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 09:29:57 am

Of course we all need oil to carry out our lives right now (maybe one day they'll be a viable alternative)
We'll need oil for a long time to keep Webbo in paraffin to clean his bike parts....

i've been tempted to use it to clean my other parts but that would really piss the missus off.

BenF

• forum hero
#47 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 02:06:52 pm
i've been tempted to use it to clean my other parts but that would really piss the missus off.

Have you tried peanut butter?

AndyR

• forum hero
#48 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 08:29:39 pm

It'd stop them getting rusty though...

Stoat

• regular
  • Would you like to come back and look at my cock?
#49 Re: Where's "Hella"?
November 30, 2007, 10:04:56 pm
Haven't smoked oil for years. Where you all getting it? It's a bit messy, but you laugh your tits off. :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal