UKBouldering.com

Overrated 'Masterpieces' (Read 21289 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 10:39:09 am
Balance the critique --

Andy Warhol gets my vote.  Übercrass.  Outrageously overrated.   :wank:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 10:47:09 am
The works of L.S.Lowry
I used to really like his stuff. Can't stand it now.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 10:48:54 am

Anything by U2 or Oasis ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#3 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 10:53:26 am
Candle In The Wind

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 10:57:41 am
Much as I hate to say it, but 'Troutmaskreplica' perhaps - not saying its actually bad, but how often does it actually get listened too vs. its cred rating.. And yes I do own a copy.

dave

#5 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 11:01:15 am
the shortie has got a poster of this at home, (Klimt's "Da Ki$$") which i think is well nonplus. i mean for fucks sake it looks like he got to the edge of the paper then tried to cram everything in - schoolboy error, it must be the first thing they school you on at art college - make sure your paper is big enough and think ahead. And the rest of it is shit anyway.

i've also never understood why people seem to revere the john lennon's "Imagine" so much. Its mediocre at best, and the fact is often tops Bohemian Rhapsody as the "top song every written" on TV polls i find just proves my theory that the majority of the general public are idiots.

and don't get me started on 15peter20: tadpole.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#6 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 11:09:38 am
Was going to say Damien Hirst, but he's only rated by a very few, rich  :wank: :spank: ers.
However, Uma Thurmans tosser of a cousin, Dash Snow, doesn't even deserve to have his existence acknowledged by anyone, let alone have any kind of reputation as an artist. Mind you, I've never heard anyone call any of his shit a "masterpiece".... what am I rambling about?  :off: ?

BenF

• forum hero
#7 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:09:14 pm
Obviously Salman Rushdie needs a mention in here.  Add the book title of your choice - I'm going for "Midnight's Children".

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:15:25 pm

Never read him - i started the Satanic Verses purely out of interest from all the controversy but then ditched it pretty quick as it didn't grab me at all.

BenF

• forum hero
#9 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:24:24 pm
ditched it pretty quick as it didn't grab me at all.

I wish I'd done the same when I started trying to read Midnight's Children.  I was a fool to soldier on and I'll never get those hours back.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#10 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:29:55 pm
Much as I hate to say it, but 'Troutmaskreplica' perhaps - not saying its actually bad, but how often does it actually get listened too vs. its cred rating.. And yes I do own a copy.

Clear Spot is a much better bet don't you think Andy?

I was going to add Oasis and U2 but Bubba helped me along there. On different cultural themes:

Architecturally: Anything by Peter Eisenman. (Houdini-have you been to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe?Is this emotive enough for me to revoke Eisenman?)
Sonically: This whole issue could be solved if someone could blow up the NME offices.
Writerly: Hemingway can eat my penis. How any man can write so many pages of bullshit on bullfighting I don't know.
Painterly: Monet can have my balls.
Contemporary: Hirst, I hope your head gets put in Formaldehyde asap.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#11 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:30:40 pm
i rate all the above..........the shame..........  :(

BenF

• forum hero
#12 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:33:21 pm
A fantastic bit of ranting there Tom.  Still injured are we?  ;)

I'd like to add "Top Gun", "Star Wars" and "StarTrek".  Not because they are masterpieces but because I hate them whilst many people seem to love them all.

Monolith

• forum hero
#13 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:33:40 pm
Maybe if I dip my penis in yogurt it'll soften the blow for Hemingway. Actually, I'd like to transfer the sacrifice of my penis to Hirst if that's possible.

Monolith

• forum hero
#14 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:34:45 pm
You'd never guess eh Ben ;) Good nominations by the way lad.

andy popp

• forum hero
#15 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:44:45 pm
the Independent carried a massive two page obit for Mailer yesterday; but reading it it became clear that he wrote one crock after another. I read and enjoyed Naked and the Dead years ago and The Executioner's Song is great but its also clear there were reams and reams of dross. Why is his rep so huge?

Tom, funnily enough I listened to Clear Spot the other day - big eyed beans from venus indeed. I do also like part of 'Troutmask' but judgement was a relative one - i.e. relative to its critical status.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:49:54 pm
The Beatles.

Monolith

• forum hero
#17 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 12:57:41 pm
A hot potato there JB..

Haven't told it in ages so why not. My father was a firefighter for much of his working life. When he was at a fire at an RAF base in Liverpool in the 70s, a load of filing cabinets had fallen over in the blaze. Of the few that spilled out, he picked one up to see what they were - it turned out to be John Lennons medical record. He still has it to this day although some fraudster in the beatles museum circa 1991 tried to convince him it was only worth 50 quid. Being a wise and shrewd man, my father severed his neck and the fool's existence ceased. And he has the record still to the day. He's now getting requests to appear on weird tv channels to talk about the story but he won't .

Sorry for off topicness.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#18 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:01:18 pm

Andy Warhol gets my vote.  Übercrass.  Outrageously overrated.   :wank:

Word on that. Mindless "Emperor's New Clothes" choss.

andy popp

• forum hero
#19 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:06:23 pm
The Beatles.

Can't agree there, though I do think Sargeant Pepper's is massively overrated.

Please, please no-one say Pet Sounds, I know its a cliche but I love that album.

nik at work

• forum hero
#20 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:06:44 pm
Catcher In The Rye
Teenager is pissed at world and fucks about is not a fucking story. Potential novelists note a story has guns and bitches and dragons and wizards and bad guys and good guys and war and love and drugs and sex and loss and gain and this and that in it. Unlike this bag of shit wrapped in shit put in a pool of shit covered with a roof of shit and called a lot of shit.

andy popp

• forum hero
#21 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:08:14 pm
Catcher In The Rye
Teenager is pissed at world and fucks about is not a fucking story. Potential novelists note a story has guns and bitches and dragons and wizards and bad guys and good guys and war and love and drugs and sex and loss and gain and this and that in it. Unlike this bag of shit wrapped in shit put in a pool of shit covered with a roof of shit and called a lot of shit.

Ah, a Proust fan obviously.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:09:49 pm

I think some thing like Warhol and the Beatles have to be seen in the context of their era. They might seem overrated now but at the time there were a breath of fresh air or an exciting new direction.

ps i'm blagging with including warhol there coz i'm not expert on art from that era in any way ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#23 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:15:58 pm
Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe?

No.  Went to the Jewish Cemmetary in Prague once but hey that should be in Neglected Masterpieces --

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Overrated 'Masterpieces'
November 13, 2007, 01:17:33 pm
I think some thing like Warhol and the Beatles have to be seen in the context of their era.

Nah, no truly good music ever has such mass appeal. The gadarene swine normally rush towards dross like Celine Dion and Michael Bolton. Why were they so wise in the sixties?

Andy, Pet Sounds is wonderful. Unlike The Beatles, it has stood the test of time and still sounds fresh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal