UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 350186 times)

Plattsy

• forum hero
#800 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:16:55 pm
Big dick's boardstore on Infirmary Road do Salomon and 32 boots if you're willing to change brand for convenience of trying them on first locally or like Chris says Ellis Brigham (coupled with trip to the Cliff).

http://www.dicksboardstore.co.uk//index.php?cPath=7_11

north_country_boy

• junky
#801 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:21:22 pm
Thought I'd resurect this thread rather than starting a new one...

I'm looking at geting a new pair of boots and have been looking at the Burton Rulers (good mix of flex, stiffness and cost) but can't find anywhere in Sheff now Slide's gone and the ski village burnt down so gonna have to go t'inteweb...

I know buying boots is a minefield online so just wanted to see if anyone had any info on sizes that Burton boots come up? (i.e. should I be looking at going street size? Half up? Half down? Full up/down?  :shrug:)

I wear a 9.5/10 street, 8.5 anasazi green, 10 walking boot.... So basicaly a 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5 are what I'm looking for...

Cheers!

:D

If it helps, I have a pair of Burton SLX (recently purchased to replace a pair of moto's) in a 9 and my street show is a 9.

Had Moto's in a 9 previously, and tried Ion's when i bought the SLX...all in a 9. Sizing seems the same across all three. Worth trying to speak to an independent retailer before ordering to get the low-down on variations in sizing for the Ruler in comparison....

I would highly recommend https://www.freezeproshop.com/ in Edinburgh

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#802 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:24:48 pm
Cheers guys - was in Cas on Friday but ran out of time and although I had a good chat I kinda know what I want and felt a bit of a cnut trying boots on the going and getting em online (sucks a bit that no other store but EB is able to sell boots in Xscape tho)... Might go have a chat with Dick tho as I need some bindings anyways...

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#803 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:27:29 pm
I would highly recommend https://www.freezeproshop.com/ in Edinburgh

Just spoke to them as they have the ones I want in a 9.5. and a 10.5 (currently wearing a Scarpa 9.5 approach)...

Spot on guys - really wanna give them my money ;-)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#804 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:41:17 pm
Didn't realise Big Dicks was still there, has been closed when I've driven past recently, probably just the timing I drive past.

Another time if you want somewhere local-ish Robin Hoods Watersports had a decent range of boarding stuff last time I was up there. Haven't been for a while but not too bad from Sheffield

http://www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Snowboard.html

Works well combined with an 'essential' visit to IKEA.  ;)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#805 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:55:04 pm
The word on the street out here is that the newer Burton's are pish and break down/bag out really badly. (i.e. like 10 rides) I just had to replace my 11 year of Burton Ions, which served me well, but everyone I know said NO Burton and even the local bottfitter has stopped stocking them. I ended up with a pair of Deeluxe Viscous which are reputed to be, and seem, solid!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#806 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 12:59:53 pm
I still rate Salomon. Had a pair of Salomon Dialogues for more than 10 years, just about wearing out now. Would definitely have another pair or similar.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#807 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 01:14:30 pm
I actually wanted to get Salomon Malamutes but they didn't have nay in my size and neither do Salomon...

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#808 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 01:14:56 pm
How stiff are the Dialogues? And how do they size up? Surfdome have em for a decent price right now....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#809 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 01:15:28 pm
The word on the street out here is that the newer Burton's are pish and break down/bag out really badly. (i.e. like 10 rides) I just had to replace my 11 year of Burton Ions, which served me well, but everyone I know said NO Burton and even the local bottfitter has stopped stocking them. I ended up with a pair of Deeluxe Viscous which are reputed to be, and seem, solid!

Are you straying back to the dark side?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#810 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 01:25:30 pm
Ha, well, I mainly snowboard when I'm out with Bella as she mainly snowboards. There's too much speed disparity between us if I ski and she snowboards. Oh, and lift served powder is still a lot of fun. I'm tempted to upgrade my 7 year old Ride Timeless for something a bit more modern (read: rockered!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#811 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 01:36:14 pm
rocker shmocker. Demo one, i found them lifeless. Might be good in powder, but I felt it lacked any pop when turning, carving or ollying, felt like riding my old Burton Craig Kelly Air from late 90s. Possibly a good addition to a quiver, but wouldn't get one as an all round board. IMO anyway.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#812 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 02:16:34 pm
rocker shmocker. Demo one, i found them lifeless. Might be good in powder, but I felt it lacked any pop when turning, carving or ollying, felt like riding my old Burton Craig Kelly Air from late 90s. Possibly a good addition to a quiver, but wouldn't get one as an all round board. IMO anyway.

Ha, going to be a total bell-end here Chris, but powder is all I ride on a board...so...  rocker it is! All my skis are cambered underfoot with rocker tips and I wouldn't ski anything else. I'm sure boards will be just the same - not sure I'd want "full" rocker, but something like a K2 Slayblade or Jones Flagship would probably be sweet. What are you riding just now?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#813 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 02:21:53 pm
I've still got my Burton Baron 167. Midwide, stiff and so fast. Bit of a weight to swing in the park, but I've never been that keen at showpony tricks anyway. Old Burton Canyon 162 is my Scotland  / rock board.

AndyR

• forum hero
#814 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 03, 2014, 05:56:32 pm
 :boohoo:
How stiff are the Dialogues? And how do they size up? Surfdome have em for a decent price right now....

On the stiffer end of the scale - maybe 7 or 8/10 ( if that makes sense?). I rate them, and they've lasted well (8 seasons out of them and they're still good).

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#815 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 11:10:21 am
Sound good.... Stiffer than the rulers and cheaper (and judging by Fultonius's info not as liable to turn into Ugg boots after a few days) - surfdome will also pay any return postage so reckon I'll order two pairs and send one back....

Any recomendations on bindings? Looking for a stiffer all mountain type, too old for the park or pipe  :whistle:...

Was looking at the Rome Arsenals as a mid price solution (would love some of those Union carbon jobbies but the wallet ain't having none of that)... Also looking at Burton classics - these look ace (simple design, well stiff, bombproof) but seem to be marketed as a splitboard binding (not a bad idea if I ever got a splitty I suppose).... Any thoughts?

Ta,

SA Chris

• forum hero
#816 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 11:20:43 am
What's your budget? I've got a pair of Drake (who i think are now owned by northwave) Mikey Le Blanc bindings which I really rate - nice mix of metal components where strength is needed and plastic where not, and nice comfy padding on straps. Discs can fit any hole layout on board, so you don't need to buy new ones if you switch boards (admittedly may not be an issue). And still going strong after years of use and abuse. Cap straps are worth a look if your boot is suitable, they don't work well on mine as the toe box is too rounded and they just slip off.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#817 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 11:49:26 am
Don't really wanna go over £150 really (initial budget was boots and bindings for £250ish....very ish  :shrug:)...

Been riding for over 20 years (sporadically) so wanting summat responsive rather than flexi really....

AndyR

• forum hero
#818 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 05:36:21 pm
Sound good.... Stiffer than the rulers and cheaper (and judging by Fultonius's info not as liable to turn into Ugg boots after a few days) - surfdome will also pay any return postage so reckon I'll order two pairs and send one back....

Any recomendations on bindings? Looking for a stiffer all mountain type, too old for the park or pipe  :whistle:...

Was looking at the Rome Arsenals as a mid price solution (would love some of those Union carbon jobbies but the wallet ain't having none of that)... Also looking at Burton classics - these look ace (simple design, well stiff, bombproof) but seem to be marketed as a splitboard binding (not a bad idea if I ever got a splitty I suppose).... Any thoughts?

Ta,

FWIW, I wear street 8.5 (UK), and my Solutions are also 8.5 (I take Anasazi in 7.5 if that's of any use).

For bindings, I was using the Burton Custom (which I liked), but have switched to the stiffer Burton Malavita - definitely at the all-mountain charging end of the spectrum  :punk:

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#819 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 07:46:16 pm
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Salomon Dialogues (well 2 pairs actually as Surfdome do free returns) and the Burton classic bindings - still not sure on these but they rate a 9 for response on the Burton site and although they do say for splitty's I've seen a couple of reviews that state they're basically a Cartel with easier access to the disc.... Will see what they're like tomorrow I suppose.

Psyched! Not had my own setup since my old Craig Kelly Air bit the dust and have probably spent a fortune hiring decent boards and mediocre boots over the years.... :slap:

Better be some decent Powder in Cham over half-term!!

Cheers for the info guys  :thumbsup:

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#820 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 04, 2014, 08:19:24 pm
The snowpack has been steadily building in Cham. You just need to get lucky with a top-up before you get here.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#821 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 05, 2014, 09:44:54 am
Don't really wanna go over £150 really (initial budget was boots and bindings for £250ish....very ish  :shrug:)...

Been riding for over 20 years (sporadically) so wanting summat responsive rather than flexi really....

IMO bit of a lottey without seeing them in person and more importantly seeing how they fit together with your boot. Some bindings seem to be designed for fuller volume boots and as the width is normally fixed you can get a lot of play (not so much in the heel, more towards the front of the foot, no matter how hard you crank the binding down. Worth taking a boot with you and going somewhere with a good range to try for fit.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#822 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 05, 2014, 01:33:06 pm
Turned up this morning - Bindings seem bombproof, decent amount of padding on ball and heel of the foot (none in the middle as the disc sits there but not so bothered about this really), well solid highback with a fair amount of padding.... Boots fit well, got a pair of 9.5's and 10's and there's not much to choose between them sizewise, both are a snug fit with toes just brushing the ends when upright but with a  fair bit of wiggle room when strapped in, going to play it safe and go with the 10's... Bindings seem to fit the boots pretty well too, no pressure points, no lateral movement, toecap sits pretty much spot on... Just gotta send back the 9.5's and I'm ready to go!

Ace!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#823 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 05, 2014, 02:15:45 pm
I put a fair old hole/dent in my edge last time I was out, so I attacked it with a vice, hammer and epoxy. Today I flattened the base with sandpaper and a block, deburred and sharpened the edges and filled the rest of the core shot with more epoxy (can never be bothered with PTEX - I don't think the change in drag from a 1cm^2 section is worth worrying about).

I got the baseplate on my binding replaced free (Burton lifetime warranty) so all that's left is a wax and scrape and my board should do me the rest of the season before being officially relegated to the "rock board".

2 Tru

• regular
#824 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 07, 2014, 03:11:03 pm
Really happy, sorry stoked to see Jamie Nicholls progress to the finals in the Olympic slopestyle event. Turns out he's also climbs.

http://www.jamienichollsuk.com/?p=2282

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal