UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 351499 times)

Stewart

• menacing presence
#650 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 19, 2011, 11:54:13 am
Settled for the tame option and went to Glencoe yesterday. Still, 800m descent from the top to the car park on pretty decent powder all the way in Alpine sunshine is not to be sneezed at in Scotland!

Looking a bit mild this week so lengthy climbs/descents may have to be put on hold till the new year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#651 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 21, 2011, 06:44:54 pm
Conditions good at Glenshee yesterday, loads of fresh snow on Cairnwell side, but a bit scoured on Sunnyside, even though pistes were pretty good. think it's all gone to ratshit today and going to be mild, wet and windy for the next few days.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#652 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
December 25, 2011, 04:05:53 pm
verbier is pretty good today. what a christmas present.

tomtom

• forum hero
#653 snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 09:42:36 am
Dull question but: does anyone wear wrist guards for snowboarding? I do, but I have broken/ fractured my left arm twice (both stupid avoidable climbing injuries ...) and am exceedingly unkeen on a repeat. But my impression is that they are probably only relevant if you are riding on-piste in a resort that's turned icey. Son #1 is going on school trip to Austria in a month and I am wondering whether to pressure him to take and wear wrist guards.

I'm an infrequent and pretty lame boarder, but I ALWAYS wear wrist guards after busting a wrist early on in my boarding career.. I spend so much time face planting/hitting the deck that I wouldn't dream of not using them... Maybe the shizzle has changed in the last few years but surprised a school trip isn't making the yoofs wear the safety gear...

My best pair had stiff placcy strips on the palm and back of hand sides with Velcro strapping to hold em on, and they fitted under a set if mitts. You can get gloves/mitts with them built in iirc...

Plattsy

• forum hero
#654 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 10:19:06 am
I never have but then I've never had a problem with my wrists whilst boarding (fractured both as a youth before I started boarding). My friend who is made of glass does use them after screwing up his attempt at a rail slide at Xscape, of all places. Obviously a lid is very important.

Off to Sauze d'Oulx next week and can't wait.  :bounce:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#655 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 10:28:42 am
SCIENCE

and if he's doing stuff in the air then think about back protection (as well as the obligatory helmet, of course)

tomtom

• forum hero
#656 snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 10:40:03 am
SCIENCE

and if he's doing stuff in the air then think about back protection (as well as the obligatory helmet, of course)

Good article Lagers, it's a no brainer then.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#657 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 03:52:54 pm
Brit Billy Morgan landing probably the first triple rodeo.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#658 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 05:29:39 pm
But, judging from looking around Whistler last week no-one is wearing guards and the shops aren't selling them either.

You wouldn't see them sold/worn separately because most snowboarding gloves generally have them built in. At any rate all three pairs that I have ever bought have. I wouldn't be keen on boarding without them, although I don't tumble that often nowadays.

("If you aren't falling you aren't learning": Big Ron)

I think helmets are compulsory for kids in some European countries now. (Austria? Italy?) I have had a couple of big slides where I was very glad to be wearing mine.

AndyR

• forum hero
#659 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 08, 2012, 08:00:23 pm
But, judging from looking around Whistler last week no-one is wearing guards and the shops aren't selling them either.

You wouldn't see them sold/worn separately because most snowboarding gloves generally have them built in.
Interesting. That was my working assumption but I didn't see any like that in the stores in Whistler ... but it's possible I missed them somehow. Then again I don't think it gets lethally icey there as often as in the Alps so maybe less of an issue?
I think it's a euro thing - have never seen them for sale over here either integrated in gloves or as separate items.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#660 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 09, 2012, 08:47:22 am
Our two year old has been asking when she can come boardsnording. I shall be using this word from now on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#661 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 09, 2012, 09:05:19 am
Then again I don't think it gets lethally icey there as often as in the Alps so maybe less of an issue?

I encountered some pretty lethal ice in Whistler! But iciness is not really a factor, as if you lose an edge on ice you tend to fall uphill as your board washes out from under you. The worst wrist injuries are from catching an outside edge and falling downhill.  It's not just piste ridign where you need them, Off piste there are often submerged obstacles that can flip you, and I've used them to "block" against trees a few times. I've got as pair of the Da Kine ones. which pretty much whenever I snowboard, don't even notice I've got them on, and they give a bit of extra warmth to my old hands. In cold weather I wear a liner under them, but in warm weather they can get a bit sweaty and damp, so need to be dried out properly overnight.

http://pfpowder.com/view_product.php?prod_id=38

chummer

• forum abuser
#662 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 09, 2012, 12:22:54 pm
After not being able to stand everyones snowy powdery pictures here and on Facebook and suffering severe FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) I am booking fights to Chamonix for the first week of Feb...then some focker told me gleefully this morning that 'a warm front' is due and the conditions are meant to deteriorate significantly.

I've searched for info on the net, including weather charts, but can't really find ount to confirm or conflict with this, does anyone have any knowledge as I am obviously incapable of interpreting a synopsis chart properly and all the long range forecasts I read were only for the next 10 days.

Help!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#663 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 09, 2012, 12:30:07 pm
 :-\

NSFW  :

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#664 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 11, 2012, 09:12:09 pm
its been pretty sunny in verbier since the weekend and is supposed to be like this for a week. not sure after that but there is plenty of snow but the off piste will be shoddy without more snow. sorry to rub it in but ive had some awesome fresh lines the last 3 days  :great:. back home tom tho so back to reality  :(

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#665 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 19, 2012, 10:37:27 am

I need a split board.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#666 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 19, 2012, 11:48:06 am
That was nice wasn't it.

I need a split board.

Or learn to ski  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#667 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 19, 2012, 12:09:32 pm
Nah, worst of both worlds - skis may be easier on the flat and uphill, but they're a pain in the arse on steep descents, variable snow, if you fall etc. I'll take a bit more hassle on the way up anyday.

galpinos

• forum hero
#668 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 19, 2012, 01:15:01 pm
Lovely vid JB. Once you’ve got your split board and start organising a trip, count me in!

For those ski geeks out there , the skier, Stephen Drake, is the co-founder of DPS skis, www.dpsskis.com, and he appears to be skiing on the new DPS Spoon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#669 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2012, 11:21:54 am
Does look amazing.

Bit more snow up here, West is looking OK, East is a bit leaner, but east side of the main Cairngorm plateau has good cover. And Black Spout on Lochnagar is in skiable nick, although a rock or 2 showing through if anyone fancies taking their skis for a long walk.

galpinos

• forum hero
#670 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2012, 11:39:03 am
And Black Spout on Lochnagar is in skiable nick, although a rock or 2 showing through if anyone fancies taking their skis for a long walk.

Off to Tignes for a week first week in Feb but have a lads' gullies and touring weekend booked for 25/26th Feb based out of Aviemore. I quite fancy Black Spout, hopefully there'll be some some snow and better conditions by then.

What I really want to do is ski to Hell's Lum Crag, climb Hell's Lum with skis, ski down Castlegate's Gully then skin back up to the ski area and ski back to the car. A sort of alpine enchainement style day. We shall have to see how the conditions develop......

SA Chris

• forum hero
#671 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2012, 12:18:47 pm
Lochnagar is quite a drive from Aviemore, so if conditions are good it may not be worth the detour. Could stop on the way there / way back though, depending how long you plan on being up here for.

Give us a shout closer to the time, might be up for joining you on that mission. Always fancied Hell's Lum and Castlegates.

galpinos

• forum hero
#672 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2012, 12:45:40 pm
Will do. Team Beta-Ride descent!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#673 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
January 20, 2012, 01:48:59 pm
Word homie. None of this full fat malarkey.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#674 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 17, 2012, 09:55:42 am
Quite cool

http://www.nowness.com/day/2012/2/16/1893/jacob-sutton-s-l-e-d-surfer

Galpinos, you still up here next weekend?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal