UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 345361 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#950 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 10:26:53 am
I have a Dakine Fallline 190cm wheeled bag. I'd imagine you could get the 175? It'd fir a board and skis fine, decent quality, usually on sale somewhere, especially if you don't mind the "girls" version.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#951 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 10:34:59 am
If you don't mind removing the bindings you can get a snowboard in with a set of skis in most bags.
This is what I was thinking I might have to do. No problem really just a faff.

I have a Dakine Fallline 190cm wheeled bag. I'd imagine you could get the 175? It'd fir a board and skis fine, decent quality, usually on sale somewhere, especially if you don't mind the "girls" version.
Yep I've just come across this bag. The 190cm will have to do as my skis are 178cm. Let's see if I can find one of them cheap girly versions....

Thanks chaps.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#952 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 11:23:50 am
Anyone found any longer term forecast sites in any way reliable?

Still swithering about a Les Gets trip at the end of the month, but it's currently looking warm and snowless for the next week or so, and if it carries on I probably won't bother.

chris05

• forum abuser
#953 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 02:24:57 pm
Anyone found any longer term forecast sites in any way reliable?

Still swithering about a Les Gets trip at the end of the month, but it's currently looking warm and snowless for the next week or so, and if it carries on I probably won't bother.

You probably know this Chris but the problem is that the long term forecasts are all based on a particular model (as far as I know) and what we need is agreement across models and across model runs. This thread on snowheads has taught me quite a bit and has some good discussions of the models and outlook: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=126003#3017511 There seems to be talk of a change in the weather towards the end of Feb but no idea quite what it will produce. I quite like the wepowder site for a an overview.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#954 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 02:44:10 pm
Thanks. I had a read of wepowder last night, will check out the snowheads. There are a load of 14 day forecasts, none of which i have much faith in.

Given the forecast, this may be the first year I concede that I will get no skiing in Scotland done for the winter for a long time.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#955 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 03:02:07 pm
If you don't mind removing the bindings you can get a snowboard in with a set of skis in most bags.
This is what I was thinking I might have to do. No problem really just a faff.

Yep I've just come across this bag. The 190cm will have to do as my skis are 178cm. Let's see if I can find one of them cheap girly versions....

Thanks chaps.
You'll be fine with a good sized snowboard bag Plattsy, I've just used my Burton 181 wheeled case for a trip with two pairs of skis, one snowboard, bindings removed plus a pair of ski boots and two sets of poles too. All fitted with room to spare for things like thermals and goggles. I had to pack another pair of ski boots and snowboard boots in a hold-all but that was fine as was well within my weight limit.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#956 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 11:11:46 pm
After much frustrating internet searching I wonder if someone on here might have an idea.
For the first time I'm planning to travel with both skis and snowboard and I was thinking a suitable bag for carrying both would exist. Best I've found so far is a dakine concourse 200cm behemoth. It's designed for two lots of skis rather than a pair of skis and a snowboard. So it would mean a less than ideal baggage packing set up.
Anyone come across a bag old or new which fits the bill?
Thanks in advance.

I've got a bag that fits a 181 board lengthways and 2 boards with bindings widthways - you're welcome to borrow it

SA Chris

• forum hero
#957 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 22, 2017, 06:29:41 pm
So flying to Geneva a week today, flying back the next Monday. Anyone about, holler! skiing PdS and Grand Massif. Probably taking ski given the conditions, make a change

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#958 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 22, 2017, 06:53:00 pm
So flying to Geneva a week today, flying back the next Monday. Anyone about, holler! skiing PdS and Grand Massif. Probably taking ski given the conditions, make a change

Might also want to pack your bike:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156052507574657&set=a.10156052504634657.1073741832.512239656&type=3&theater

SA Chris

• forum hero
#959 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 22, 2017, 09:47:09 pm
Can't see link? If it the lower slopes of mont chery, then meh, never much good

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Gets/6day/mid

Bit on the way to freshen slopes

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#960 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 22, 2017, 09:51:38 pm
Can't see link? If it the lower slopes of mont chery, then meh, never much good

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Gets/6day/mid

Bit on the way to freshen slopes
Nah, just mates out riding in Chamonix, up to 1800m!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

galpinos

• forum hero
#961 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 22, 2017, 11:01:29 pm
Enjoy, we're not heading out till Easter!

I realise I'm teaching you to suck eggs but that weak layer looks quite persistent so take care if you venture off piste.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#962 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 06:56:33 am
Where you heading?

Yeah offpiste will be sketch, I'll just content myself with hovering up what fresh I can on sides of pistes and trees. Plus my brother is probably not going to make it (house buying / selling nightmares) so I will be without anyone reliable to head off with.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#963 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 09:05:47 am
Have a good trip SA Chris, you should be fine if you head high enough, coverage in Avoriaz (where I'm headed in 2 weeks) looks fine and there are a few good sized storms lined up to push through in the next week too.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#964 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 09:08:30 am
Should we run a book on how much snow arrives compared to what snow-forecast currently predicts?  If its correct, you're in for a good time 60cm forecast for next Tuesday!!

galpinos

• forum hero
#965 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 09:27:48 am
Where you heading?

Yeah offpiste will be sketch, I'll just content myself with hovering up what fresh I can on sides of pistes and trees. Plus my brother is probably not going to make it (house buying / selling nightmares) so I will be without anyone reliable to head off with.

I'm of to Val d'Isere en famille. First time the eldest will be able to ski so hoping she likes it as she's going to subjected to it every year for the rest of her life.......

SA Chris

• forum hero
#966 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 09:36:21 am
Good and high! You been to any snowdomes or dryslopes with her? We did dryslope lessons for a while with Kyle and he was doing OK, but it was a bit boring on the beginners one and he couldn't cope with the drag lift on the larger one (too short and light) so we sacked them off. Were hoping to get out locally once or twice with the kids locally this winter, but the planets have not aligned for it to happen. It might still though/ Possibly.

galpinos

• forum hero
#967 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 09:58:24 am
Good and high! You been to any snowdomes or dryslopes with her? We did dryslope lessons for a while with Kyle and he was doing OK, but it was a bit boring on the beginners one and he couldn't cope with the drag lift on the larger one (too short and light) so we sacked them off. Were hoping to get out locally once or twice with the kids locally this winter, but the planets have not aligned for it to happen. It might still though/ Possibly.

I considered a dome as there is one 10 minutes from my house but decided against it. We're going with some of my wife's family and one of the nephews is exactly the same age as my eldest and they get on really well so we decided that if they both learn together in the same ski school class that's the best chance we have of her enjoying it. With a one year old in tow as well, we are definitely classing it as a family holiday with some skiing, not a skiing holiday.

The lads long weekend touring has been postponed to next year but plans are already a foot......

SA Chris

• forum hero
#968 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 23, 2017, 10:05:30 am
Sounds good.

This year is looking to be a write off for Scotland anyway, first year I've struck out totally on local snow sports for about 8 years.

Tis only late Feb though, things may just still happen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#969 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 08, 2017, 12:22:59 pm
6 days mixed weather in Alps.

D1 – Half Day - Mont Chery - Windy on ridges, but OK below skis.
D2 – Praz De Lys - Horrible. Foot of soggy wet snow overnight, followed by rain / sleet at village level and skiing in cloud most of the day. Cleared about 4pm
D3 – hired a guide, did the back side of Haute Forts at Avoriaz twice on snowboard, brilliant. If you fancy a day guiding there get in touch with http://marcoskiguide.com/fr/
D4- skied over to Avoriaz from Les Gets, high winds closing top lifts but good at Coupe du Monde Area, so did some laps there before returning to Morzine / Les Gets weather came in, pissing rain in village, snow from about halfway up.
D5 – great powder morning on Mont Chery, then OK afternoon, started snowing in evening
D6 – great powder morning in Les Gets, mostly in bowl off back of Grains d’Or, Chavannes  and Turche lifts, before had to head down for flight home.

I now find myself at a crossroads, loved skiing pretty much the whole week, not sure I will take snowboard again, persevered and feel I am coming to grips with powder skiing instead of defaulting to snowboard, and now absolutely love it. Be nice to get a day or two in in Scotland before end of season, but looks like I may have missed the (tiny) window.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#970 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 08, 2017, 08:53:00 pm
I found that as I got better at skiing powder I had to go faster, bigger, steeper to keep it fresh. On the snowboard I can jib around more, so can have more fun at lower pace, get more fun per lap and not have to wait so long for the other half (or have to be waited in, at times, when I'm buried head first!).

You might have a lul just now, but I bet you'll be back on the board at some point!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#971 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 08, 2017, 08:54:02 pm
P. S. Glad you got a good trip with some pow, that's a bonus this season! (although, I'm seeing videos of people tits deep, so it must have finally arrived)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#972 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 09, 2017, 08:35:53 am
Yeah, got so lucky with conditions. I think Tuesday would have been one of the days of the season though!

Given that as of next year most ski trips will be with kids, I will probably be taking skis, as travelling around the mountain with kids when you are on a snowboard looks to be a right PiTA.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#973 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2017, 07:12:43 am
From personal experience, I would not rule out the possibility that kids want to board. Most of son #2's friends ski (as far as I can judge: because their 30-something parents are all backcountry snobs, who think boards are inefficient, and won't allow any choice) so I encouraged him to learn skiing for his first three seasons after we moved to Canada. But he has gravitated voluntarily to snowboarding and is so much more psyched. Either he is hopelessly-retro or perhaps he is in the vanguard of the backlash against the backlash?

My son is back on skis this year, understandably said he felt too stressed on a board after he had a major traumatic accident - two simultaneous broken wrists, most inconvenient - on a board last winter.

I was planning to learn to ski this year too: backcountry efficiency, as you say. But then my wife couldn't make it to Ötztal for the whole week, which would have meant leaving the lad alone some mornings while I was in baby ski school. That was obviously a non-starter, so I'm still on one plank for the time being. Spent the ski school money on a new board. And still having a great time with it I must say.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#974 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
March 10, 2017, 08:44:37 am
From personal experience, I would not rule out the possibility that kids want to board. Most of son #2's friends ski (as far as I can judge: because their 30-something parents are all backcountry snobs, who think boards are inefficient, and won't allow any choice) so I encouraged him to learn skiing for his first three seasons after we moved to Canada. But he has gravitated voluntarily to snowboarding and is so much more psyched.

At age 5 & 8 we will definitely be getting them on skis to start. Should they wish to snowboard later it's up to them, but what i meant is from a point of view of skiing with young kids, being on skis is infinitely more preferable wrt picking them up getting on and off lifts, dealing with flats, having to carry them for a bit, etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal