UKBouldering.com

snooooooooooooowboarding (Read 345493 times)

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#925 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 06, 2017, 05:57:29 pm
I've got a custom x 159W (I'm 5'10" and about 180lbs) and I love it.  As said before, it does about everything well, but nothing spectacular.  As a single board, it's fantastic because I can ride anything and its fun.  Generally on big powder days I end up backcountry though, so I'm mainly looking at funky mountain stuff.

AndyR

• forum hero
#926 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 06, 2017, 06:50:12 pm

Nothing to report other than bottomless pow, endless face-shots, occasional mandatory air and a heavily depleted bank account... strongly recommend  :punk:

Did you go out with Powder Mountain? Our day out with them was one of the best days on snow I ever had. Only downside was doing it in the middle of our second week, the last few days on resort seemed utterly mundane.

Big Red Cats - terrain is typical Monashees - all treeline and below, but most runs nicely gladed, so still room to look ahead (that said, I did bury myself in one tree well...). Just need to save up for heli-skiing now...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#927 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 06, 2017, 08:33:59 pm
I know it's a bucket list thing, but everyone on our cat trip said it's much better than heli; more laid back, more vert for your money, etc.

I'm still on my Burton Baron mid wide 167, about a decade old too. Amazing to ride, stiff and fast, but still brilliant to carve on piste, with great edge holding, and such fun in powder. Makes moguls a bit challenging, and the swing weight makes getting any rotation on jumps a challenge/ impossible but I'm probably past doing much in the park these days anyway.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#928 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 08, 2017, 09:32:08 pm
I'd have liked more interview in it, but this is interesting

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#929 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 08, 2017, 10:55:14 pm
It's official - on the cusp of ditching snowboarding forever I've clawed myself back from the precipice and invested in at least 10 more years of snowboarding fun  :2thumbsup:

Slash Brainstorm 160 '17.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#930 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 06:15:55 am
Me too. Spent the money I was planning to spend on skiing lessons this winter on a new board instead.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#931 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 07:54:22 am
Ha ha! This is a common theme. I too have again sacked off learning to Ski in favour of new snowboard kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
#932 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 08:27:33 am
Nice minimalist topsheet graphics Fultonius.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#933 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 09:33:02 am
The jury's still out on the base graphics, but I never see them anyway ;-)  (I'm not that fussed on looks, the reviews made it sound just what I need...we'll see!)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#934 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 11:05:02 am
Ha ha! This is a common theme. I too have again sacked off learning to Ski in favour of new snowboard kit!
I feel a trip to ROHO coming on, after all I am going twice this year (for the first time in years), (ok so 1.5 times and mainly with kids but I don't need much justification to get new kit.  :-[)

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#935 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 11:11:52 am
Do it. New kit justifies itself. Fact.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#936 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 11:18:21 am
I feel a trip to ROHO coming on, after all I am going twice this year (for the first time in years), (ok so 1.5 times and mainly with kids but I don't need much justification to get new kit.  :-[)

The £ is tanking so you might as well have "stuff" ;-)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#937 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 12:38:06 pm
Regarding boots...

I have a pair of Burton Freestyle (midrange) boots I bought early in my first season in the US (so early 2003), these boots have not clocked up about 250 days of use (not all of riding, some wear while working lifts, but some riding every day) and I've so far had to replace the laces. They are dead comfy, but still give me all the support I need.

I keep thinking I need a new pair, but they will most like be a) uncomfortable and need bedding b) expensive and c) shit quality and fall to bits too quickly.

So carry on or shop?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#938 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 12:51:19 pm
If they still give you support, then stick with em!  I got new boots a couple of seasons ago - Deeluxe Viscous. Very comfy straight out the box, but way too stiff initially for me. Now that they're bedded in they're about right - so they should last well. I did notice part of the sole coming away at the heel and I've only had maybe 15 days on them, which is not ideal... Luckily I'm handy with contact adhesive!

I'm sure others on here will have more/newer/better info.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#939 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 02:33:32 pm
That should read "now clocked up" not "not clocked up" which changed the context somewhat. I think well made bindings have has as much to do with longevity of the boots as anything else.

AndyR

• forum hero
#940 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 05:52:46 pm
In this part of the world we are lucky to be able to stroke our egos by ordering custom boards direct from the factory shop at Prior. Son #1 is getting this thing as a slightly late 17th birthday present. Their Shotgun model with a "hybrid" camber, whatever that means. Inevitably deciding on the top sheet seemed to occupy most of his time before the board was ordered. No wolf options, sadly.

Result - nice looking board! Think I might treat myself to a new splitboard soon...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#941 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 09, 2017, 06:02:18 pm
My son's choice of boards is largely determined by "graphics most likely to be disliked by Mum"

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#942 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 10, 2017, 07:27:41 am
I just dug out an interesting stick from my attic

a 1998 Burton Supermodel 181 with leather Ride Team bindings

I got given it for a heli trip to Nepal that ended up not happening when the king sacked his government or something

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#943 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 10, 2017, 11:12:52 am

I got given it for a heli trip to Nepal that ended up not happening when the king sacked his government or something

Bizarrely I ended up renting a board in Mondolé from a Dino, who runs the snowboard museum:  https://www.facebook.com/Museo-Italiano-dello-Snowboard-562178050472974/

He'd probably love your board!

Is it like trying to turn a tanker? My skis are 185!!!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#944 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 10, 2017, 11:17:30 am
A bit more length, sir?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#945 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 12, 2017, 04:09:21 pm

Bizarrely I ended up renting a board in Mondolé from a Dino, who runs the snowboard museum:  https://www.facebook.com/Museo-Italiano-dello-Snowboard-562178050472974/

He'd probably love your board!

Is it like trying to turn a tanker? My skis are 185!!!

going fast, floating high in powder, this was never an issue

I'd imagine that trying to spin it in the air would be interesting, but I never tried - it had a decent radius side cut

181 supermodel next to a 183 idiot

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#946 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 12, 2017, 04:20:24 pm
this is the model I started riding on (not my photo)
Sims Blade 1710

I bought mine as an ex-hire board in 1989 - the base was bullet proof - it wasn't until 1993 that I got a more modern board and proper snowboard boots instead of using those turquoise and silver Koflachs all the time

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:49:35 pm by lagerstarfish »

SA Chris

• forum hero
#947 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 15, 2017, 04:46:51 pm
My first board was a Craig Kelly Air with practically zero sidecut, and the boots were like baseball boots, no support at the back of the foot. I used to think I was just terrible at heel turns until I upgraded the boots.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#948 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 09:44:35 am
After much frustrating internet searching I wonder if someone on here might have an idea.
For the first time I'm planning to travel with both skis and snowboard and I was thinking a suitable bag for carrying both would exist. Best I've found so far is a dakine concourse 200cm behemoth. It's designed for two lots of skis rather than a pair of skis and a snowboard. So it would mean a less than ideal baggage packing set up.
Anyone come across a bag old or new which fits the bill?
Thanks in advance.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#949 Re: snooooooooooooowboarding
February 16, 2017, 10:09:30 am
If you don't mind removing the bindings you can get a snowboard in with a set of skis in most bags.

I've got an enormous wheeled snow and rock one which has lasted me for years, looks a bit daft dragging it about with a big kink in it as skis are now 20 cm shorter than when i first bought it.

If you get a bigger one with enough space you can fit all your clothes and everything in it and just take one bag (saves on baggage charges).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal