UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide (Read 111067 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#250 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:12:13 pm
Kinda half tempted to do a little charity work for Mr. Buchanan, buy the guide, read every syllable, post every last spelling typo (not grade errors, as we could argue about that all day) here in this thread.  Could come in useful for the next printing, and save him working his fingers to the bone - again.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#251 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:13:45 pm
It'd take you a looong time to document all the errors Hoodini.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#252 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:17:02 pm
But I'm selfless that way  :ang:

I'd also enjoy proving a point, really - how hard can it be to spot a typo?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#253 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:41:52 pm
Having had 15 mins to read through this lot, bloody hell there's a few angry peeps out there, you can tell we're not getting enough coz of the weather cannt you??  ;)

after flicking through the guide in question (for 30 mins) I'm basically in the Jim camp. it's a fine effort, but even I (sheff based) can see some omissions.(I found the caley bit very hard to read, much harder to find the blocks than the last guide - and i do know the area well).

It's the omissions that are the worst bit really, the documentation of the sport should be a comprehensive as possible IMO. if directions are indeed not accurate then that's just a travisty - it's fundemental reason for the existance of the guide.

I'm also keen for there to be an index.

If a font guide can get all the major areas in 1 volume then surely so can yorkshire grit  :shrug:

I can see it's a bit like Ru's guide, which although no essay did have some delightful little bits of prose and superb little amusing scripts. I cant find such in this guide.

I am in favour of the font grades, I'll never get to wayco and grit being a fine grained rock with usually short problems lends itself to the grade system we are most used to abroad (taking it read that most of us when abroad will have spent more time at font than anywhere else)

Seems too many pics, not enough block drawings and no real feel for the history by way of prose.

There again, it a photo guide! perhaps just not my cup of tea then. I'll carry on with the old one.

I usually climb at the bridestones anyways if i'm in yorkshire, so I doubt I'll see anyone there for years. Hmmm.... now there's a bonus!!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#254 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:44:15 pm
Oh yeah, sorry for not mentioning this before

Mick Ryan is a right fucking twat

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#255 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:04:42 am
My god, what a storm in a tea cup.

My 2p worth, I've only had a flick through the guide but feel many of the substantive criticisms re typo's etc are well founded and the guide is 95+% of the way tow being excellent, it's a shame that the errors undermine the sterling effort that got it so close to being 'a winner'.  Perhaps the errors can be corrected for part 2 and the second edition?

As for the comments by 1110.dave on here, boy, if you ever need a flaming just let me know and I'll give you some private tutition.

As for the comments on Cockfax, I think a strongly worded 'cease and desist letter' would be well in order, either that or we (i.e. anyone who's able to make it) ask Mick to justify his comments face to face down at the Works tomorrow.

It's a shame I'm banned from Cocktalk as otherwise I'd tell MR what a cvnt he's being and get banned!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#256 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:26:04 am
Sloper:  I sent a message to the "Report Abuse" address:

Quote from:  lanky twat
Posting guidelines:
"Please don't use rude, abusive or politically offensive language - Messages which contain excessive and pointless swearing, or insults aimed at other people, or politically offensive language will be removed."

Mick Ryan has gone a bit far here. Making sweeping generalisations about UKBouldering users as well as spreading unfair comments (eg about Bubba) is unreasonable. I would not expect this kind of childish behaviour from somebody who is supposedly an adult.
I would hope the offending comments are removed, or a retraction made publically.

Mick's reply:
Quote from: author Micky Boy R of UKC**t
Funny Gareth. You be down the Works tomorrow. Mick

I did reply:
No, I never go to the Works. 
Do you not think this is getting a bit silly though?

Your site, your call.
Regards.
GCW

I'm awaiting a reply.
This guy Ryan is a bully, and he doesn't listen to sense.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:31:50 am by GCW, Reason: Formattage »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#257 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:28:28 am
Hmmm . . .  I've not long finished reading the UKC thread too.  The Stig impressed me most.

I didn't think it so bad, certainly nowhere as bad as what's been seen on this thread.  1000.dave couldn't have let his team down more if he tried; many-a-time I thought of offering him a new Spear & Jackson, as his own was worn down to the handle.

The real winner is Moose - who took it all in his stride and even went as far as to offer a 2nd articulate and unbiased review.  What a star!  You can tell he cares for Yorks.

I wouldn't punter Mick any more - pointless - he really doesn't care.  I recommend ignoring him; everyone hates being ignored especially those that fish for attention.  They leave of their own accord, they always do.

*reads GCWs post*  On second thoughts - lets blind him in both eyes and hack his legs off, daft twit.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:35:03 am by Houdini, Reason: Typo\'s, natch »

Paul B

• forum hero
#258 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 02:33:58 am
I can see why a lot of forums have some members only sections, it stops a load of people (who don't really care enough to register) from diving in, it would probably stop that type of "News" item as well.

andy_e

• forum hero
#259 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 03:35:46 am
i hear that the guy on the advert inside the cover is a sexy mo fo...

Nah, he's wearing a studded belt, what a fashion faux-pas  ;)

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#260 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 11:06:47 am

*reads GCWs post*  On second thoughts - lets blind him in both eyes and hack his legs off, daft twit.   ;D

I'm sure that could be cited a prime example of why UKB is such a bitter and spiteful site. Apparantly...   ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#261 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 11:19:09 am
Yes - there's no accounting for humour.  :lol:

And there are a world of halfwits out there ready to deliberately skew every syllable spoken to suit their own ends.  Mick is many things - I'm sure;  stupid isn't one of them.

Do people really view UKB as bitter?  I couldn't care less, people believe what they want to believe and that won't be changed - regardless of evidence to the contrary.

Bonjoy was right:  it was going so well untill Mr. Buchanan spat his dummy, but hey, it's not my business interests and reputation he's damaging . . .

Oli

• obsessive maniac
#262 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 11:26:25 am
I don't view UKB as bitter, although i imagine some of the more banterous comments could be perceived that way (maybe). I've tended not to post much here, but read a fair bit and reckon its far more interesting/useful than Cocktalk.

Look out for UKC's next news article; "UKClimbing's Mick Ryan receives death threats from irate boulderers"  :yawn:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#263 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 11:29:56 am
I was thinking of going for his family, too  :devangel:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#264 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:08:56 pm
Nothing wrong with a bit of bitterness in it's place.  ;)  On this site it is generally restricted to this thread..........

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8473.0.html

.............in you go Mr Ryan. I'm sure Houdini has a warm welcome waiting for you.

abarro81

• forum hero
#265 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:19:50 pm
Mick Ryan is a right fucking twat

Word.

squeek

• junky
#266 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:20:16 pm
oh yeah, ive not had a look at this guide, but i hear that the guy on the advert inside the cover is a sexy mo fo...

I saw some ladies at the wall looking at that picture, they laughed, waving their little fingers in the air saying "chipolata chappers tee tee" don't know what that was about...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#267 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 12:21:34 pm
It's interesting that the mildly crititical comment posted by Chris F(ryer?) seems to have been deleted.

It seems Mick can't take any criticism.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#268 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 01:05:23 pm
They also appear to have deleted a post from Paul B which politely questioned the possibility of Mick writing an impartial and unbiased review of the guide after the comments he had made.

Must be nice to not have to bother thinking of replies to difficult questions. Just make them disappear.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#269 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 01:23:58 pm
It's interesting that the mildly crititical comment posted by Chris F seems to have been deleted.

It seems Mick can't take any criticism.

Yes, my posting has definitely been deleted. I don't think it's the criticism he was concerned with, more likely the fact that I pointed out that he used to post on here until he got banned. Seems like NEWS is more important than the TRUTH.

Paul B's comment has been deleted too.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#271 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 01:31:56 pm
I noticed the missing posts too..

Though if I was going to delete anything I'd have probably chosen to remove such well thought out and balanced comments as these..

"Bubba (owner of the site) is all bunged up. Try an enema Bubba"

"I'll be in the Works tomorrow night. Feel free to to punch me if you are there."

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#272 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 01:47:25 pm
Got a reply at last:

Quote from: GCW
No, I never go to the Works.
Do you not think this is getting a bit silly though?
Your site, your call.
Regards GCW

Quote from: Mick Ryan
Hi Gareth, My work is done on this subject and with much success- please feel free to post this down UKB. We deal with all climbers, all of them, and I've a lotof editing to do and advertising to sell. Thanks to all for playing. It played out as I planned.It was so easy. Best regards, Mick

And some of my posts have magically disappeared too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#273 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 02:06:50 pm
At least all the people he has "sent here" know the truth about his shenanigans now.

dave

#274 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 30, 2008, 02:20:36 pm
all the traffic on UKC lines their pockets via advertising money - so do as I do and don't even visit the site. cunts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal