UKBouldering.com

Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide (Read 111067 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#225 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 12:25:50 am
I think my main complaint with it is, that for something of its size, it should contain at least double the information. I don't want a part 2. I don't want a fucking downloadable pdf to have to print out with my printer that I don't own. I want to buy a yorkshire bouldering gritstone guidebook, with all the good gritstone bouldering in yorkshire, in one volume, with accurate grades and that's been proof read by someone without cataracts. Is it really that much to ask?

The reality is I'm going to pay £35 for a 2 part, incomplete, inaccurate, guide

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#226 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 12:35:31 am

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#227 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 12:38:33 am
I think my main complaint with it is, that for something of its size, it should contain at least double the information. I don't want a part 2. I don't want a fucking downloadable pdf to have to print out with my printer that I don't own. I want to buy a yorkshire bouldering gritstone guidebook, with all the good gritstone bouldering in yorkshire, in one volume, with accurate grades and that's been proof read by someone without cataracts. Is it really that much to ask?

The reality is I'm going to pay £35 for a 2 part, incomplete, inaccurate, guide

word.

dave

#228 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 12:54:22 am
Check out Jan 28th

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

same old mick eh. just goes to show a leper can't change its spots.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#229 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 01:00:26 am

my my, is this a photo of dave 'internet tough guy' buchannn

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#230 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 09:05:22 am
Quote from: Mick Ryan of UKC infamy
Opinions about Steve Dunning's new guidebook to Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering that we previewed at UKClimbing.com (link) are creating a lot of noise at the bouldering forum, UKBouldering.com.

So far the guide has generally been well received and has sold over 800 copies since publication.

The controversy starts at page 8 of a thread entitled "Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide" when someone going under the name Moose writes a critical review. Some agree and some disagree, one poster going under the name of 1000.dave says that the guide is "better than any previous Yorkshire bouldering guide ten times over," but then says that he is leaving the forum for good.

You can take a look at the argument yourself, (link), but as usual always take what is written with a pinch of salt. Better to judge Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering yourself by nipping down to your local climbing shop and having a look at a copy.

Nice one Mick.  If it's all to be taken with a pinch of salt, "as usual", is it really "news"?  Or is UKC desperate for more shit to stir stories?
Pick up a p-p-p-p-p-punter point.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#231 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 09:22:12 am
But of course everything on UKB has to be taken with a "pinch of salt". Unlike the insightful, informative discussions over on UKC.............

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=282853

:wank:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#232 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 09:36:30 am
My £2.00

1. Reviews in this thread have been very useful. Although sometimes harsh I don't think any of them have been trending into flaming territory - the criticisms have been about aspects of the guidebook. And I think they should be answered as such.

2. 1000000.dave - I went to Ceuse with him a couple of years back, and I found him to be a cool guy, good to climb with, fun, excitable and good banter. Had a good laugh with him, Cookie and Ted. It's a pity he's reacted like this and turned this thread into such a battle, but I guess some people don't do the internet very well.

3. mick ryan is still a cunt. Mick when you read this to gloatingly check how much you've interfered: Stop fucking around sticking your spanner in the works and trying to inflame the situation even more with these bullshit non-news items, and instead how about posting the Scottish new routing article I sent to you fucking months ago.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#233 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 09:55:53 am
mick ryan is still a cunt

Is this the new UKB T-shirt slogan?
Somehow I don't think your article will make it past the shredder now Fiend :lol:

I would agree though-  Offhand, I can't recall anything unfair (until page 8 ) being stated here.  There hasn't been any slagging, it's been a case of being disappointed the guide isn't all it could be.  All criticism has been constructive.
Also, I'm sure we all appreciate the effort that has gone into this guide.
We seem to be going in circles now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 10:18:33 am by GCW, Reason: BB where I didn\'t want it »

webbo

• forum hero
#234 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 10:07:27 am
i glanced at the guide last week.i was disapointed in that there was a lot of mistakes.things like traverses being described the wrong way round plus some places seem to have been graded either from memory or just looking at the topo.
if you have the old guide and look at johns site,you won't get much out of the new guide.however a big plus is that this guide makes me a better climber than i thought i was.

dave

#235 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 10:36:54 am
mick ryan is still a cunt

Is this the new UKB T-shirt slogan?

I'd wear it. it would go nicely with my "the pope is catholic" shirt.

I was in tesco the other day and i thought i saw mick's name written on a loaf of bread - but when i had a closer look i discovered it actually just said "thick cut".

Yossarian

• forum hero
#236 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 01:17:11 pm

3. mick ryan is still a cunt.

becomes, "is mick ryan a cunt?"

and the reverse of the t-shirt follows with nibile's exclamation.

job done...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#237 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 01:19:59 pm
Simple and brilliant.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#238 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 01:40:21 pm
You don't want to soil "Yes yes fucking yes" really....it is a phrase - nay, a lifestyle - that transcends all this nonsense.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#239 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 01:44:52 pm
Nice one Big Frank, adding to the UKC shit pot.  Reply for our favourite cunt:
Quote from: Micky R
People will make their own mind up about the guide. Collectively, here and on UKB, is a review of the guide. Far better than getting someone with a vested interest or an axe to grind to write a review.

"I think to form an opinion it's better to buy it and read it in detail"

I agree Francis. I would add that it would be also better to use it in the field by someone who is not familiar with the areas.

Yes, Moose is an excellent writer.

"Better to judge Yorkshire Gritstone Bouldering yourself by nipping down to your local climbing shop and having a look at a copy."

Maybe it will be your shop. I hope so.

Also, whose idea was this?

PREVIEW: The New Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guidebook

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=763

It would be mine.

That article has been viewed 1,690 times. Steve got a lot of sales from that article and link. He told me so when I spoke to him last week.

I think I will review the guide myself for UKC.

My qualifications. I started Rockfax. I have published seven USA guides. I'm the co-author of Bishop Bouldering (author of the Bishop Bouldering Survival Kit that sold 8,000 copies) and co-author of Islands In The Sky, the guidebook to Las Vegas and Nevada limestone.

I'm in Yorkshire now.

By the way I'm smiling.

Must crack on lots of work to do. Have fun.

All the best,

Mick

Smug git.  Another p-p-p-p-p-puntering, Mick?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#240 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:24:27 pm
god I wrote some toss last night.. I really should apologise and would like to take the opportunity to do so, here and now..

in my defence I should add I was intoxicated by a mixture of cheap ale and the buzz of sending such a cool problem..

when I set off for widdop yesterday (never climbed there, but visited once) I thought I'd take the new guide.. give it a go, try and believe in it etc etc..
got to hebden checked the map only to find minimal directions and no road numbers.. I swear I nearly threw the fucking thing out of the window..

I feel for Steve as the guide is getting a slating and its clear a lot of work has gone into it.. but for reasons that have been outlined plenty of times before, I dont rate it

chappers

• forum hero
#241 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:30:24 pm
did you find widdop then?

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#242 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:33:55 pm
eventually... more by luck than anything else.. turned right at heptonstall and kept going! amazing crag though and a top day for me!

chappers

• forum hero
#243 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:38:48 pm
and...what did you get done???

chappers

• forum hero
#244 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:40:04 pm
oh yeah, ive not had a look at this guide, but i hear that the guy on the advert inside the cover is a sexy mo fo...

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#245 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:42:36 pm

red edge right and left
four square
splashdown
fight on black

:)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#246 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:46:41 pm
Pool traverse and direct are very worthwhile, as is the wall left of Splashdown.  I need to go back for FO(t)B.  Always got the break easily but was too stretched to sort my feet.

chappers

• forum hero
#247 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 02:50:29 pm

red edge right and left
four square
splashdown
fight on black

:)

nice one. good day out! ditto, short crimpy wall round the corner from splash down is good stuff.

Vitamin K

• addict
#248 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 03:42:28 pm
Pool traverse and direct are very worthwhile, as is the wall left of Splashdown.  I need to go back for FO(t)B.  Always got the break easily but was too stretched to sort my feet.

I cannot for one moment believe that you were stretched when you got the break! That is just too unfeasible to put into words - it's pretty much job done by then. Go back immediately and get it done, I assure you the top is fine.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#249 Re: Yorkshire Grit Bouldering Guide
January 29, 2008, 04:00:20 pm
I plan to go when I recover from my battering.  I meant I was stretched when I got the break with my feet still on the ground :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal