UKBouldering.com

DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of) (Read 4872 times)

i.munro

• junky
DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 06:35:03 pm
I was talking to a guy in Bleau who happened to be pretty impressive & he was using what looked like liquid chalk.
When I asked he said it was home made with " very little chalk but a little too much alcohol".
Now I'm not sure how much of this was intended as a joke but I'm quite interested because I find chalk on sandstone to be extremely counter productive ie it's slippy as hell.

I'm currently using liquid chalk but I'm convinced it's the alcohol bit that's useful & the chalk has the opposite effect.
|So I'd like to try some chalk free liquid chalk if that makes sense.

So here's my question ( finally!) does anyone know what sort of alcohol is in liquid chalk, ethanol? Seconfly is it diluted as the guy implied & if so with what, water would seem odd?

Thanks

Ian

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 06:36:38 pm
I started a thread a while ago about Rubbing Alcohol, i'm guessing that all the horror stories of dry, easily splitting skin will apply to this.

i.munro

• junky
#2 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 06:42:15 pm
Hmm just tried searching for rubbing & alcohol & got a lot of results, (not suprisingly) couldn't find your thread in the noise I'm afraid.

Could you do me a quick summary?

i.munro

• junky
#3 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 07:32:16 pm
Could you do me a quick summary?

Don't worry about it. I found it. No wiser though apart from don't use isopropyl alcohol.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#4 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 07:39:59 pm
[[/quote]

Don't worry about it. I found it. No wiser though apart from don't use isopropyl alcohol.
[/quote]

I am reliably informed that this can be obtained from some chemists, although they are likely to ask you what you are wanting it for.

i.munro

• junky
#5 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 07:48:24 pm

[/quote]

I am reliably informed that this can be obtained from some chemists, although they are likely to ask you what you are wanting it for.
[/quote]

Fairly sure I don't want that stuff on my hands although  I still don't know what's in liquid chalk.

runt

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 08:35:21 pm
Hope you get something sorted and can post the recipe. I've tried various bottles of stuff from the apotek but all have been rubbish. The alcohol products here seem to have stuff in them that actually softens your hands.
Have used homemade stuff from a yank climber, he diluted it with water and it was good stuff, but haven't been able to copy it so far.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 09:07:05 pm

Errr I tried and it seemed to be nigh on impossible.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#8 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 25, 2007, 10:03:48 pm
I'm reliably informed by senor Adams that it is possible to produce a good mix although I haven't yet extracted the secret recipe from him. I'll report back.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 06:51:03 am
nige has made some, come on nige post up your mothers brothers half uncles secret recipe.

Went to buy some jizz t'other day, they wanted £7 for it which is double what the last bottle cost me so I didn't buy it.

If when in font you have some liquid jizz, mix some pof in with it, it works really well

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 07:20:47 am
I used to buy Isopropyl Alcohol by the litre from Boots (the chemists) to clean LP's with.  Sinch.

I second the motion that it's unwanted on your skin.

i.munro

• junky
#11 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 12:41:50 pm
I'm tempted to try Ethanol because although it's toxic I'm happy to drink it whereas I can't say that about the alternatives.

Ian

Nigel

• forum hero
#12 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 12:58:16 pm
nige has made some, come on nige post up your mothers brothers half uncles secret recipe.

Went to buy some jizz t'other day, they wanted £7 for it which is double what the last bottle cost me so I didn't buy it.

If when in font you have some liquid jizz, mix some pof in with it, it works really well

I've had the overpriced jizz problem too. I solved it by picking up a couple of bottles at Awesome Walls in Liverpool for £3.50 a piece. Everyone else is robbing cunts.

When I was in Canada you couldn't buy it so yes Jim, I contacted my distant relatives and they gave me the age-old family recipe for gummy juice. Its purple and when you drink it you turn into a little bear and start bouncing around off the walls completely off your tits. Not much to tell really, I mixed rubbing alcohol and Superchalk together until the consistency felt right (not as thick as shop bought). Rubbing alcohol is widely available for pittance in the US, don't know about over here. The alcohol does seem to be key, my guess is it cools the skin as it evaporates, removes greasy skin oils, and provides transport for the tiny chalk particles into those hard to reach fingerprints. I also added some pof at a later date, seemed even better.

Wisdom dispensed.

cofe

• forum hero
#13 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 01:02:19 pm

I've had the overpriced jizz problem too.

did you have any problem sourcing jizz in the frankenjura?

Nigel

• forum hero
#14 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)
October 26, 2007, 01:09:12 pm
Not once I'd removed the ant.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#15 Re: DIY Liquid chalk (err sort of)